PDA

View Full Version : Win95 to Win98 Networking

Smoked1
06-09-2002, 05:02 PM
Sup yall! I am trying to get a Win95 based laptop to run on my network. I just installed the first version of it and I can't get it to work. Any tips would be appriciated. i have been doing it the same way as I always do with 98 and no dice. ???

Uranium-235
06-09-2002, 06:57 PM
What kind of network? Using Proxy? NAT? P2P?

Smoked1
06-09-2002, 11:14 PM
I belive that I am using NAT. I have A DSL router with a dynamic IP. All IPs are asigned by the router. I never really played much with win95. It installed IPX. I don't really use IPX.

Uranium-235
06-09-2002, 11:41 PM
take off ipx. What are your tcp/ip settings?

try to ping the IP address of another comptuer and call me in the morning

Smoked1
06-10-2002, 03:08 AM
I just tried that. I took off IPX as soon as I saw it. Why does it do that? sheesh! It just keeps teling me, "The DHCP Client was unable to obtain an Ip network address from a DHCP server." All of my other machines pull an IP address from the router. I have tried different binding compinations between TCP/IP and NETBEUI.

Uranium-235
06-10-2002, 06:44 PM
try to assign it a static ip address

wizbones
06-10-2002, 08:38 PM
Click Start > Run > type in winipcfg > Click OK > Select your Ethernet card in the drop down.

What IP is the NIC card assigned? Is it a 169.x.x.x? If so your NIC isn't talking to anyone and assigning itself and IP.

If this is the case check the cable. If cable is good then try the static IP option. May also want to ensure you are using the correct NIC drivers as well.

If assigning a Static IP doesn't work, try uninstalling/re-installing TCP/IP

Smoked1
06-11-2002, 02:26 AM
What kind of an IP address do I give it? The dynamic ones that get assigned are like the one you just said?

Uranium-235
06-11-2002, 02:29 AM
just change the last octet.

So if one of your systems are dynamically assigned 192.167.0.3.

Statically assign it 192.167.0.4, or whatever next number up that is not currently dynamically assigned

Smoked1
06-11-2002, 02:38 AM
I did that. I also tried 10.0.0.1. It shows up it's own Network but none of the other nodes show up. Well, I am tired and need sleep. I am done with networking for the night.

Chef
06-14-2002, 05:39 PM
First of all I don't think Win95 supports NAT (not ICS for sure)
I don't think you have NAT installed as it doesn't work on routed networks and hardly used at all.

You have to assign Win95 client with IP address from DHCP server. If you don't have DHCP you must assign static IP but with the same network ID the rest of comps have, just like Uranium says.

You haven't mentioned but I think you're using workgroup model (each comp is equal peer and no servers installed). In this case you have to assign workgroup name on Win95 client (just check for similar info on other machine), then it would be able to see the rest of workstations. Again, check the IPs of other comps !

Finally ping the router with 127.0.0.1, if no response received assign default gateway with router's IP address.

This should fix your problem :D

Cheers

Smoked1
06-21-2002, 02:47 PM
OK. I think I tried all of that but I will make sure when i get home. I think that I am using NAT though. Maybe that's the problem.

Omega
06-23-2002, 02:14 AM
I'm not exactly clear on what you need it to do. Do you need it to get internet access through your internet gateway (DSL router), share/access files, share/access printer...etc.?

I never use dynamic IP addresses on my LAN, simply for the reason that I don't want to have to deal with that complication, plus then if I'm having connectivity issues, I know specifically that I can ping 192.168.0.7 and know what device that is. I guess it's much more controlled that way, and I like having control over that with which I'm working.

If you're having problems even getting it to ping the internet gateway, or any device for that matter, we're looking at a low-level problem. If you're just having trouble getting it in your workgroup, or getting it to access the internet, we're getting into annoying problems.