PDA

View Full Version : Term of the day: favicon

Keefe
06-25-2002, 12:46 AM
Short for favorite icon, a customized icon that is used by Microsoft Internet Explorer (IE) versions 5.0 and later. When a user bookmarks a specific Web page, that Web page loads a customized icon into the user's browser, typically a tiny version of a company or Web site's logo. The favicon is displayed next to the Web site's name in the Favorites list and can also be displayed in the Links toolbar. When a site has not created a favicon, IE will load the IE logo into the browser by default.

When a user bookmarks a page, the browser will request a favicon.ico file from the directory of the Web page. If such a file exists, then the Web page is using a favicon and will return the file to the browser.

A typical favicon is 16 x 16 pixels and uses only 16 colors.

Uranium-235
06-25-2002, 12:51 AM
This I know!

Keefe
06-25-2002, 12:56 AM
For hardwarepub the favicon is a little glass of beer, how cute eh?

Omega
06-25-2002, 10:00 PM
IE, at least seems a little buggy with favicons. In favorites the icons will display for me for a month or so, but then eventually disapear (and turn into the default icon). I'm guessing it's because my cache gets cleared, or something, and then IE never tries to refresh the favicon, or something, which is a little annoying, but to tell you the truth, I don't care all that much.

MIK3
06-26-2002, 02:43 AM
Yup thats the exact same thing that happens to me... and im running IE 6! SPAMI dont like their lackidazical manner for favicons either, but like Omega said, it doesnt bother me really...the only favicon that is in my favorites right now is NetSmogs, and i have about 30 favs! SPAMWhat is that symbol suppose to be anyway?