Techware Labs Header

Forums have moved

See this announcement for more details, or just go directly there.

Go Back   Techwarelabs Community > Tech > General Board

Old 04-05-2004, 07:32 PM
Grinnin Reaper

Default RANT, must rant, havta rant, gonna rant, deal with it. PG-13

Not about the board or the people here, love ya'll, and I need your help.

I now believe I officially work for the greatest gathering of idiots every assembled. I have been approached not once but twice on the benifits of token ring networks (does anyone else even rememeber these??). My BOSS told me they were better for power users than Ethernet. My INSTRUCTOR in school said they were easier to trouble shoot. Then explained how his expensive analyser has helped solve so many problems with the token ring network. Then I commeneted about how many problems I didn't have on Ethernet or could solve by lookin' at flashing lights and didn't need his expensive damn analyzer. As far as speed for this company though unfortunatly I almost agree with the speed. I'm about to install a lan at an office. We are bringing in a T-1, putting it into a 10x (please note that this is 10x on purpose, i didn't leave out the other 0, it's not 100x it's 10x really, I checked, I asked, I laughed, I cried) hub. again that's a 10x ethernet hub connected to the T-1. then I am taking a port, just one, not 2 just 1, running it into a dsl modem for 1 mile, to a dsl modem, another 10x hub (please see description above) and then to the computers. When I asked why we have 2 hubs and not run the T-1 all the say my Boss boasted that that was so we could plug in our laptops at the first site. To which I had to gently remind him "What f****** laptop????". My current laptop has a 3 1/2 inch floppy 800 meg hd 12inch screen and no cd rom, no modem, no nic. Workstation is running NT 4.0. And most of the work gets done on Dummy tubes, yes dummy tubes, as in some office somewhere in a closet that mainframe thing still exists. Please help me, tell me I'm not insane. I feel like an exhibit at a Musem of Arcane Technology. "Today we'll be looking at computers from over 50 years ago. Here we see a technician inserting punch cards into a card reader". WTF? Well gotta go, I think ENIAC crashed again, probably another moth in a tube somewhere, I'll be back when we figure out the freakin' world is round at work.
Old 04-06-2004, 12:45 AM
james

umm, if it makes you feel any better, the network I admin'd for last year had 300+ boxes for a T1 at a school. Alright, could be better, but not so bad. What was bad was that there was not a single switch on the network. All hubs.The hubs crashed ALL the time b/c of the ridiculous amount of repeat traffic. Tried to convince the powers that be that infrastructure could be easily imprvoed with the purchase of like $3000 worth of switches, they'd hear none of it. Apparently having half the building's net access go out once a day wasn't too big of a deal. but OMG sniffing the network was a PITA, all the freaking filters that had to be applied to narrow down to the traffic you actually wanted to listen to. argh
Old 04-13-2004, 08:10 PM
Super Moderator

Send a message via ICQ to vee_ess Send a message via AIM to vee_ess Send a message via MSN to vee_ess Send a message via Yahoo to vee_ess

You actually use vacuum tubes??!????
Old 04-13-2004, 08:45 PM
Lab Master Techie

Send a message via AIM to Jason425 Send a message via Yahoo to Jason425

he's kidding.. but you already knew that.. i hope! :/
Dell Inspiron 1420 in Midnight Blue - Intel Core2Duo T7300 2.0GHZ/4MB - 2GB Ram - Nvidia 8400 GS 128mb - DVD/RW - 160GB 7200RPM - 14.1" Antiglare - Intel 4965AGN - Bluetooth 2.0 - 2MP Webcam - Vista Home Premium
2005 Mazda3i in Strato Blue
http://www.jasondsmith.net

Old 04-14-2004, 03:09 PM
Chronique Technique
Lab Master Techie

Send a message via AIM to Prometheus

lovely
Old 04-23-2004, 08:07 PM
Grinnin Reaper

The only thing I was kiddin' 'bout was the vacum tubes, and if I looked in the right places I might find a few in service (as power amps in radios, I know guys that were workin' on them up until not to long ago). The dummy tubes is no joke, sadly, that's my job.
Old 04-24-2004, 03:34 AM
eviltechie

that is so sad...
too many ignorant ppl