PDA

View Full Version : Macromedia Flash

JohnE
07-02-2004, 02:13 PM
Not sure if this is the right forum but here's the lowdown....

I am sick to death of Macromedia Flash...! I'm sick to death of annoying, garish, flashing adverts every time I visit a web site. I'm sick to death of Macromedia thinking it has some god given right to install what it likes on my PC without asking my permission. In fact, I'm sick to death of Macromedia, period.

I found an ocx control (called Flash.ocx) which I renamed. Briefly, this stopped all the flashing adverts (I could still see the adverts - but they weren't animated any more). However, before long, it seems to get "reloaded". All of a sudden, the flashing ads are back and when I look under System32, there, once again, is Flash.ocx which has been re-installed without my permission.

I've been into Control Panel but there seems to be no method of removing Flash. It isn't listed under "Add/Remove Programs" - either as an application or as a Windows Component. I can't believe that it's not possible to remove it and I'm really hacked off at this hateful company for thinking it can install its products onto my personal computer whether I want them or not.

Please does anybody know how to get rid of the darn thing?

Jason425
07-02-2004, 08:04 PM
ok first, get over your grudge with macromedia... second, go to tools, internet options, multimedia and uncheck "play animations in web pages" and see if that does it

JohnE
07-03-2004, 03:46 AM
Thanks Jason - as it happens, I can dual boot my machine into either XP or Win2K. The XP partition is older and seems to have an earlier version of Flash (maybe around Version 5, or so). In this case, your suggestion works fine (in fact, I disabled animations over a year ago and it all works).

The problem seems to be when I boot onto the Win2K partition. Under Win2K, Internet Explorer seems to be using the most recent version of Flash (Ver 7, I believe). Version 7 simply ignores the setting in Internet Explorer and displays the animations anyway! Furthermore, if you try to remove the Flash driver, like I've done, Macromedia simply reinstalls it...!

Sorry for getting angry but I think it's outrageous that this arrogant company is literally forcing me to use its products, whether I want them or not. And if I try to remove the product, it just arrogantly re-installs it again, without my permission! I can't understand why there hasn't been a massive worldwide backlash against Macromedia. Why is everyone just meekly putting up with this?

Jason425
07-03-2004, 10:38 AM
I rarely run into those ad's so it's not a problem for me.. download spywareblaster.. that aught to do it..

even though it says 4,5,6 and you say 7 it still might work.. or just stop going to those sites..

JohnE
07-03-2004, 10:53 AM
Woohoo...! This sounds like the kiddie for me! Thanks again, Jason.... :thumbsup:

CiKoTiC
07-03-2004, 03:30 PM
I downloaded Spywareblaster last week from the main site and it had a trojan virus. Make sure you scan the file before you install.

Jason425
07-03-2004, 04:45 PM
good to know

JohnE
07-03-2004, 04:50 PM
Thanks lads.