Techwarelabs Community

Techwarelabs Community (https://www.techwarelabs.com/community/index.php)
-   Operating Systems (https://www.techwarelabs.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Windows ME (https://www.techwarelabs.com/community/showthread.php?t=1670)

Creed182 05-28-2001 10:05 PM

Windows ME

I want to know what kinds of problem people have been having w/ this os.  Tell me your system and what you use it for.  If you've never had a problem with ME tell me that too along w/ specs and use.  Thanks.

Hulaboy 05-28-2001 10:34 PM

Re: Windows ME

I like the user interface of ME but compared to WIN 98SE's stability I'd rather have WIN 98SE. I recently got an HP Pavilion 7865 and it came with ME.  Lately, my roommate has been using it more than I have...hehehe. I'm planning on using it mostly for video editing and such. That'll have to wait until this quarter comes to a grinding halt in the coming weeks though.

The problem that I see most of the time is IE locking up.  I don't know, for some odd reason it keeps locking up and I'd just have to either restart or hope that it recovers after crashing.

All in all, I guess ME is okay but I stilll prefer WIN 98SE over it. It could just be because I'm so used to 98SE...

Keefe 05-28-2001 10:45 PM

I have not worked with Windows ME too much, but from what I have seen it is just Windows 98 with more "fluff."  If you are looking for os that is very easy to use and has a lot of neat feature use windows me, but if you are looking for something much more stable and a bit faster go with Windows 2000 Professional

Hulaboy 05-28-2001 10:53 PM

Yeah, I totally agree with you on the "fluffiness" of ME. I have another computer that is running Win2k Pro and I'm completely happy with it. I get the better interface of ME and the stability of NT. Very nice! However, I find that Win2k is just a tad bit slower than Win 98SE. What's your experience with that? Do you find 98SE faster or slower than Win2k?

Keefe 05-28-2001 10:57 PM

In the instance of my computer here at home i found that windows 2000 prof runs faster that windows 98.  I have a PIII- 450 and 256 megs of ram in this machine.

On older systems windows 98 will probally run slower since win 2k likes more ram and faster processors for better performance.

Creed182 05-29-2001 02:59 PM

I agree win2K is the better os (depending on what your doing) well maybe not better persay but more relable.  And in some cases it runs slower or faster depending on your system but for your average user they won't encounter win2k.  It wasn't really designed for the common user but more for the office and home business.  As for the fluffiness factor, I agree but fluffiness is almost a Windows TM.  Ever since 3.x systems the fluff has built.  Windows ME is just the latest incarnation.  But as for the symtoms of a suffering Windows ME they are always the same - "locks up", I have experience the same.  As for you Hulaboy with your new HP I also have a new one. I got the Pav 6746c one of the first thing I had to do was replace my LT Win modem it seemed to bog down my ENTIRE system however once I replaced it with a USR everything seemed to perk up and lock ups seemed to deteriorate.  Any explantions other that what may seem to be the obvious?  Anyone?

kfan 05-29-2001 05:38 PM

I have built five systems using ME with an Abit BE6-II mobo, PIII 533, and 128 megs of ram.  These have all been very stable with few problems.  I did have problems with modems but I switched to 3Com and these went away.  On OEM systems I have found if you shutdown some of the extras that are loaded at start-up will help with lock-ups as well.  For me HP scanner software causes more than its fair share of lock-ups.

Hulaboy 05-29-2001 06:43 PM

Hhmm...that's something to look at. Of course, I never use the modem since that HP and two Macs have wireless access through an Apple Airport Station. Perhaps I'll take it out all together and see what that does.  Uh oh...perhaps I won't do that because I just took a look at it right now and it seems that the modem is integrated with the game port and also where the speakers plug into. That's an odd setup...

[quote author=Creed182 link=board=windows&num=991109144&start=0#5 date=05/29/01 at 14:59:56]
...the first thing I had to do was replace my LT Win modem it seemed to bog down my ENTIRE system however once I replaced it with a USR everything seemed to perk up and lock ups seemed to deteriorate.
[/quote]

Keefe 05-29-2001 06:48 PM

Yeah a lot of new computer manufacturers are trying to save money by having many of the hardware features built on to the motherboards.  Usually there is a was to disable the built-on modem, the option would be either right on the motherboard-- like a jumper that disables it, or a option in the BIOS.

pooty 05-31-2001 02:33 PM

A clean install of ME is fine, as opposed to an upgrade.  However, if the System Restore feature is turned on, ME will, over time, become very slow and ponderous.