Techwarelabs Community

Techwarelabs Community (https://www.techwarelabs.com/community/index.php)
-   Operating Systems (https://www.techwarelabs.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   How to fix "NTLDR is Missing" for Win XP (https://www.techwarelabs.com/community/showthread.php?t=11400)

vee_ess 10-26-2005 03:03 PM

How to fix "NTLDR is Missing" for Win XP

If you get the "NTLDR is Missing" error, follow these instructions:

1. Load Windows XP CD into CD drive.
2. Make sure BIOS is set to boot to CD drive.
3. Boot the computer from CD.
4. At menu, press "R" to load Recovery Console.
5. Select the installation to be fixed.
*The following instructions assume CD-ROM is labeled as drive D and the hard drive partition the windows installation is on is labeled as drive C. Replace the letters accordingly.
6. Type "COPY D:\i386\ntldr C:\" and press ENTER.
7. Type "COPY D:\i386\ntdetect.com C:\" and press ENTER.
8. Remove CD and type "EXIT" and press ENTER (to reboot your computer).

Reply with and questions/comments/issues.

james 10-28-2005 12:42 AM

typing fixboot and fixmbr may also prove useful

Darkspark 12-25-2005 06:25 AM

What should I do if the NTLDR is continually missing.
By continually I now mean at least everyday. Its getting more frequent now. Pratically everytime I boot up my pc.

Zero_Oxide 12-29-2005 07:52 PM

help!!

i had the same problem i git as far erasing the existing files on my hard drive. but i am stuck at the same for WINDOWS XP SET UP
can anyone help me .

Zero_Oxide 12-29-2005 10:58 PM

?

when you get the "ntldr missing" does that mean you may have a virus?

Tyler 12-30-2005 11:01 AM

No.

Jason425 12-30-2005 09:15 PM

It can.... if the virus hosed your ntldr

Tyler 12-31-2005 12:54 AM

True, never thought of it that way.

BenKen 09-09-2006 03:00 PM

Last night I installed XP SP2 onto my new RAID-0 array (2x SATA-IO Seagate 7200.10 320GB). I did have a previous version of XP on a seperate SATA drive but I thought this unimportant.

I have a nForce 4 chipset which requires seperate RAID drivers for Windows, I followed the instructions to create a bootable RAID XP system and everything went well, the system was up and running, I even installed all of my software and transferred all of my files. Woo.

Last thing i did last night was to delete a lot of my files off of the disk with the old XP installation, including all the files in the root directory. Little did I know, nor consider that the all important boot information was contained on this disk and not the raid array. Damn.

Starting the computer this morning, a pleasant "NTLDR is Missing" error appears. I remove the old hard drive, leaving just the array in place, restart, and it gives a new error: "DISK BOOT FAILURE, INSERT SYSTEM DISK...etc".

I try fixing the problem with the method used above, but loading in the "third party raid drivers" courtesy of nVIDIA and running "fixboot c:\" at the end. No luck. I try a system recovery but still no luck. I have tried everything i can think of but still windows does not start. The recovery console reads the array just fine, and the nVIDIA RAID initialisation screen agrees the array to be "HEALTHY". What can I do??

Thanks in advance

Ben Ken

vee_ess 09-10-2006 04:37 AM

I would just deltree C:\Windows and start a fresh installation. First make sure you go into your BIOS and have it boot to RAID before HD-0. It takes about 20 minutes, but at least you know it'll work.