Techwarelabs Community

Techwarelabs Community (https://www.techwarelabs.com/community/index.php)
-   Security, Privacy, & Spyware (https://www.techwarelabs.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   wireless security (https://www.techwarelabs.com/community/showthread.php?t=11753)

angivodka 05-18-2006 03:00 AM

wireless security

how do you secure a home wireless network. i have tried following the microsoft help instructions but the option is not there. any ideas anyone?

StinkyMojo 05-18-2006 09:32 AM

Read your wireless router/access point's manual to find out how to access the config options. Once you are in, you can make your network secured by using either WEP or WPA encryption. Most new routers come with a disc you just pop in and you can change settings easily.

Jason425 05-18-2006 10:52 AM

MAC Address authentication is very effective in combination with WPA.

StinkyMojo 05-18-2006 11:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jason425
MAC Address authentication is very effective in combination with WPA.

Indeed, something more people in my neighborhood should look into

*snickers*

Slashmire 05-18-2006 02:13 PM

I think one of the misconception of many people is the "Why" of having security, thinking that their is nothing worth breaking or stealing...but people should be aware that some people will have fun just driving around, trying to connect to wireless connections, take some photos, find some infos, etc.

Triumph 05-22-2006 12:36 PM

Actually most methods currently available for wireless security will only keep out amateurs. That is enough th implement measures. There have been extensive guides on the net for cracking wep and wpa encryption for a while now.

As for mac addresses, mac addresses are transmitted in the clear, so it is a trivial matter for a real hacker to pull that information and spoof it. Just realize these measures will not protect you from a real hacker, but they will protect you from the kid down the street who is just looking for trouble.

Tyler 05-22-2006 02:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Triumph
Actually most methods currently available for wireless security will only keep out amateurs. That is enough th implement measures. There have been extensive guides on the net for cracking wep and wpa encryption for a while now.

As for mac addresses, mac addresses are transmitted in the clear, so it is a trivial matter for a real hacker to pull that information and spoof it. Just realize these measures will not protect you from a real hacker, but they will protect you from the kid down the street who is just looking for trouble.

But can't that be said for almost anything? :)

Jason425 05-22-2006 03:57 PM

The best protection matter? Don't piss people off!

angivodka 05-30-2006 02:30 PM

thanks for all your tips and help. i will definately try and get it sorted out. and try not to piss people off!!! lol

ninikins 05-30-2006 06:23 PM

Is there a way to tell if someone is using your wireless internet? I don't have wireless yet but was considering it...