Techwarelabs Community

Techwarelabs Community (https://www.techwarelabs.com/community/index.php)
-   Operating Systems (https://www.techwarelabs.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Ipconfig fails in XP (https://www.techwarelabs.com/community/showthread.php?t=3030)

matt1968 01-13-2003 11:23 PM

Ipconfig fails in XP

Ipconfig says internal error, request not supported, unable to query routing information.

I already reset tcp/ip with netsh

Thanks for any ideas!

eviltechie 01-13-2003 11:52 PM

check

ipconfig /all

maybe your NIC is busted

01-15-2003 07:57 PM

thanks for the try, but ipconfig won't run period. the NIC is a 802.11b dlink card that has been a problem. the card connects to the router, but browser/ping/ip no luck. not sure other than a os reinstall

Uranium-235 01-16-2003 12:15 AM

check your device manage and see if the drivers are installed/working

Omega 01-25-2003 02:36 AM

I'd suggest checking to make sure your wireless settings are configured properly, if the TCP/IP stuff isn't working. This includes checking security settings (enable/disable/configure WEP as needed), add your MAC address to your AP's access list, if necessary, and make sure your SSID is correct (capitalization *does* matter).

kji 04-24-2003 07:41 AM

I am having the same problem...

when i run ipconfig i get unable to query routing information. I have two separate nics installed- one wireless multiport 802.11b, and one integrated 10/100. Any ideas on this?? I know that the network settings are all correct.
thanks

adigi 05-06-2003 01:11 PM

IPconfig

I have the same damn problem. I suspect the wireless card casued it and see others have the same issue.

It appears to a tech I know that the tcpip.sys file is not being found at startup (we saw a few events saying so).

I have done about everything, am now trying to reinstall the OS, going back to Win2000 Pro.

05-13-2003 05:52 PM

ipconfig /flushdns ipconfig /release ipconfig /renew <-:

dlink? thats your problem right there.

tronz 08-09-2003 01:57 AM

tronz

Win2K or WinXP
Cause of problem trying to uninstall Norton AntiVirus or System. I have DHCP problem fix.
I got 2 Solution First try this.
* from the Start Menu select run
* type 'regedit' and click OK
* open the following folders, HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE, then SYSTEM, CurrentControlSet, Services, and finally Dhcp.
* Double-click the key DependOnService
* remove what will probably be the last item in the list, something like SYMTDI. Leave everything else alone
* click OK.
* close RegEdit and reboot.

DHCP should work again.

Should a problem come up (messing up the registry entries) you can also press F8 (or is it F5?) and select Use Last Known Good Configuration from the boot menu. That will restore various registry entries to what was used last.

I'm not sure why Norton installs this key. For some types of firewall software a dependency like this is added to ensure the firewall is running before DHCP grabs an address. Of course, Norton Anti-Virus should have removed this dependency when it was unistalled. Clearly its a bug in the uninstall routine.

Second Solution
To edit the registry:

1.Click Start, and then click Run. The Run dialog box appears.
2.Type regedt32.exe in the Run box, and then click OK. The Registry Editor opens.
3.In the left pane, navigate to each of the following subkeys:
*HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\DHCP
*HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\NetBT
4.In the right pane, double-click the item DependOnService.
5.Delete any references to SYMTDI or NISDRV.
6.Click Registry and click Exit to save the changes and close the Registry Editor.

Should the fix the Problem :)

rhycher 01-10-2004 11:28 AM

XP ipconfig probelm.....

I have read here that a few people have had this problem. Anyone ever have any results fixing it at all? I upgrade from Windows 2000 to Windows XP.

ipconfig
--------------------------------
Windows IP Configuration
An internal error occurred: The request is not supported.
Additional Information: Unable to query routing information.

djrobinn 01-26-2004 07:25 AM

Windows XP IPConfig Error Message

I'm getting this error message folks:

"C:\Documents and Settings\All Users>ipconfig

Windows IP Configuration

An internal error occurred: A device attached to the system is not functioning.

Please contact Microsoft Product Support Services for further help.

Additional information: Unknown media status code.

C:\Documents and Settings\All Users>

Please advise what to do. Owing to this, I could connect using a dial-up connection but was not able to browse any sites, then I thought maybe the dial up is messed up, so I bought hi-speed cable internet, same problem, wouldn't connect. Then I popped the Windows XP Pro CD in the drive and tried a "Repair Install" so that it could replace any missing or corrupt files, still no luck. I had to then nuke the PC, format the HDD with NTFS, and then install XP over it, now finally the internet is working however, I still get the same error message when I type ipconfig on the dos prompt...its driving me nuts!! :hanged: :confused:

Any ideas?!?!

Thanx!
Robin

mobyplay2001 04-26-2004 10:06 PM

IP config error wont let me get on the internet

Alright, guys I need some help, I tried the "technicians" at dsl yahoo. but they are good for nothing...
when I go to configure the IP...this error appears:
AN ERROR OCCURRED WHILE RENEWING INTERFACE LOCAL AREA CONNECTION: AN OPERATION WAS ATTEMPTED ON SOMETHING THAT IS NOT A SOCKET.
According to the geniuses at yahoo, my IP address is not the one it should be...
All these problems appeared after i had a massive attack frem virtual bouncer, annd a whole bunch of pop ups....is it possible that that virus changed my IP address??? what the hell is going on???
your help guys is greatly appreciated!!!!

Jason425 04-26-2004 11:53 PM

well go to housecall and scan for viruses (google housecall)

then go to your network connections thing under control panel and go to tcpip properties and make sure the IP is set as it should be..

that's all I can do to help you with my limited networking knowledge

jackdaniels 05-10-2004 11:21 AM

sasser

I believe this is related to the sasser virus. I was connect to the work and recieved a message that my machine was infected. They then promptly shutdown my PC. Since then I have been unable to access the internet at all. My limited knowledge was to try and renew/release the IP info but I get the error message in this thread.

Would love to hear anyones suggestions.

:)

cherrypie 05-11-2004 12:29 PM

google housecall?

Jason425 05-11-2004 08:14 PM

I was telling him to type housecall in google if he wanted to find it.. http://housecall.trendmicro.com/

ybeddyj 05-27-2004 04:37 PM

@mobyplay2001

AN ERROR OCCURRED WHILE RENEWING INTERFACE LOCAL AREA CONNECTION: AN OPERATION WAS ATTEMPTED ON SOMETHING THAT IS NOT A SOCKET

This is usually as a result of some programs messing with your tcp/ip protocol stack an easy fix for this usually be to reset yoour tcp/ip stack easiest way do do this is to start up google(*on another pc*) search for "lsp fix" you should find a lot of programs that'll help you there. i personally prefer WINSOCKFIX from option explicit it'll get the job done the quickest plus it also come with another very handy tool

ybeddyj 05-27-2004 04:39 PM

btw if you had any manually set tcp/ip settings then you'll have to do them over if u use winsockfix

100thMonkey 05-29-2004 01:21 PM

well here is a variation on the same issue, what do people think?
a) when I tried to run ipconfig from the DOS prompt, I got "ipconfig is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file"

b) when I tried to run ipconfig from the Run menu, I would get an error message telling me that ipconfig is not a recognized and that Windows could look online for the right program or I could select from a list

Well, I fixed a) by going to Computer -> Properties -> Advanced -> Environment variables and replacing the PATH command (that somehow had been repplaced leading a folder for my Treo?) with C:\Windows;C:\Windows\System32, my ipconfig/all at the DOS prompt works, thought it still doesn't from the RUN menu.

now that a) has been addressed, do people have any thoughts about b)?

gas_nebula 05-30-2004 12:56 PM

unable to renew IP address in XP

I've been having similar problems.
Tried the netsh to reset TCP/IP ... no luck.

Came upon some other information that looks promising. Other forums have reports of, with XP, recent TCP/IP and WINSOCK stack corruption. This appears to either be caused by spyware or simply the fact that since TCP/IP is now deemed a critical 'core' networking component of XP, its a little more fragile than in previous Win O/S versions.

Following are a couple of tools to try ... one to repair the TCP/IP stack, the other for WINSOCK. I have not tried these yet ... but I intend too soon. These tools have apparently aided others in getting this %$&@ problem solved.

TCP/IP - http://www.cexx.org/lspfix.htm
WINSOCK - http://tntmax.com/Download/Software/WinsockXPFix.exe

Best of luck.

latr3ll 07-17-2004 02:05 PM

Ipconfig Fails - Solution

I had this issue doing an inplace upgrade from W2K to XP.

My Resolution:
I uninstalled TCPI/IP protocol, Client for MS networks, and F&P sharing service from the NIC. Rebooted. Go back to Network connections, you should have no services, clients or protocols installed (or "bound" to the adapter). Click install to reinstall the necessary protocol, client and services. Add TCP/IP, Client for MS networks, and F&P sharing service. Immediately after doing this my NIC was active and it received a DHCP assigned IP address. Problem solved.

Eradicator 08-12-2004 10:39 AM

Re: Ipconfig fails in XP

Quote:

Originally Posted by matt1968
Ipconfig says internal error, request not supported, unable to query routing information.

I already reset tcp/ip with netsh

Thanks for any ideas!

HI, Did you ever get this resolved? (wireless card)
Had you upgraded the router firmware or driver before this happened?
That's what happen to me! and then it blew out my LAN net connection. I had to roll it back 3 days because MS and Dlink couldnt fix it. Every time I reinsert the wireless card, it happens again! Time to find the magic combo of firmware and drivers ;( or maybe take a trip to Costco and get a Diff make setup.

NO virus detected!

WSO 09-06-2004 10:05 AM

Renew IP Address Success Story for Wireless Network on XP

1st want to thank the many posts that help lead me to full success. It was a combo of events listed below. Needed all steps. Good news is I did NOT need to reinstall XP or use WINSOCKFIX utility.

System
Win XP Home Edition.
Home Wireless Network 801.11b
Installed Adware6 to attempt to eradicate Spyware
Norton AntiVirus Installed
Peer to Peer Network. Using One PC as "server" which connects directly internet and provides access to internet for client PC's (ie. not access point or router)

Symptoms. XP Client PC's on Wireless Network running very slow. Finally will no longer connect to wireless network. IP address on my "server" PC is 192. ... but IP address on clients is 169. .... Can't ping server. However, I knew WI-FI hardware is working because still have WI-FI connectivity to client PC's on network running Win98SE.

Steps

Virus Check

1. Run Norton AntiVirus - No viruses found

Adware/Spyware Eradication

2. Start->Control Panel>Remove Software. Viewed all programs and using Google Search as a reference removed all programs that were spyware/adware
3. Used Tasked Manager (cntrl-alt-del) and MSCONFIG (using Start-Run-CMD line) to view startup and process see all adware/spyware. Again used google to discern which programs/processes were adware/spyware.

4. Adware Spyware still running included TV Media and Winupdtr. Deselected these programs from MSCONFIG startup. Deleted files in C:\program Files\ and deleted keys from registry using regedit per postings above... but did not permanently eradicate TV Media

5. Manually removed TV Media registry keys using instructions at www.kephyr.com and/or posting above. But also must immediately do step 6 below.

6. Utilized posting that said TV Media was linked with Explorer. Must "Kill" Explorer Process in task manager, Killed Explorer, then used cntl-alt-delete to bring up Task Mgr again. Start CMD line from Task Manager and used CMD line to navigate to c:\Program Files\TV media files. And then delete using delete c:\Program Files\TV Media\*.*

Note to reboot I had to specify which mode to restart in while in MSConfig window. (For some reason my PC would not startup in SAFE mode by tapping F8 during reboot.) 1st selected Diagnostic Startup mode. (Could also go to WIN.BOOT tab to start in SAFE mode.

7. Used MS article "How to Determine and recover from Winsock2 corruption" found at support.microsoft.com/?kbid=811259 (I did have some corruption).

8. Opened Network Connections window. Right mouse click on Wireless Connections to open properties. Uninstalled Client for Windows, File and Printer Sharing, and deselected TCP/IP items. (Note: there is a posting to manually deinstall TCP/IP. I didn't do it).

9. Reboot.

10. Opened Network Connections. Right mouse click on Wireless Connections to open properties. Install Client for Windows, File and Printer Sharing, and TCP/IP items. Select Wireless tab. Selected Properites and Advanced tab for preferred network and ensure all settings were correct in accordance with postings above (I use WEP enabled)

11. Rerun "Setup a Home or Small Office Network" on client

Still had 169... IP address on client PC. The final solution not found above was Drumroll please......

12. Rerun "Setup a Home or Small Office Network" on my Server PC. IP address on Server changed from 192.68.0.1 to 192.168.0.1 and full connectivity was restore between all PC's on network and with the adware gone PC's are fast.

WSO 09-06-2004 10:10 AM

Renew IP Address Success Story for Wireless Network on XP

1st want to thank the many posts that help lead me to full success. It was a combo of events listed below. Needed all steps. Good news is I did NOT need to reinstall XP or use WINSOCKFIX utility.

System
Win XP Home Edition.
Home Wireless Network 801.11b
Installed Adware6 to attempt to eradicate Spyware
Norton AntiVirus Installed
Peer to Peer Network. Using One PC as "server" which connects directly internet and provides access to internet for client PC's (ie. not access point or router)

Symptoms. XP Client PC's on Wireless Network running very slow. Finally will no longer connect to wireless network. IP address on my "server" PC is 192. ... but IP address on clients is 169. .... Can't ping server. However, I knew WI-FI hardware is working because still have WI-FI connectivity to client PC's on network running Win98SE.

Steps

Virus Check

1. Run Norton AntiVirus - No viruses found

Adware/Spyware Eradication

2. Start->Control Panel>Remove Software. Viewed all programs and using Google Search as a reference removed all programs that were spyware/adware
3. Used Tasked Manager (cntrl-alt-del) and MSCONFIG (using Start-Run-CMD line) to view startup and process see all adware/spyware. Again used google to discern which programs/processes were adware/spyware.

4. Adware Spyware still running included TV Media and Winupdtr. Deselected these programs from MSCONFIG startup. Deleted files in C:\program Files\ and deleted keys from registry using regedit per postings above... but did not permanently eradicate TV Media

5. Manually removed TV Media registry keys using instructions at www.kephyr.com and/or posting above. But also must immediately do step 6 below.

6. Utilized posting that said TV Media was linked with Explorer. Must "Kill" Explorer Process in task manager, Killed Explorer, then used cntl-alt-delete to bring up Task Mgr again. Start CMD line from Task Manager and used CMD line to navigate to c:\Program Files\TV media files. And then delete using delete c:\Program Files\TV Media\*.*

Note to reboot I had to specify which mode to restart in while in MSConfig window. (For some reason my PC would not startup in SAFE mode by tapping F8 during reboot.) 1st selected Diagnostic Startup mode. (Could also go to WIN.BOOT tab to start in SAFE mode.

7. Used MS article "How to Determine and recover from Winsock2 corruption" found at support.microsoft.com/?kbid=811259 (I did have some corruption).

8. Opened Network Connections window. Right mouse click on Wireless Connections to open properties. Uninstalled Client for Windows, File and Printer Sharing, and deselected TCP/IP items. (Note: there is a posting to manually deinstall TCP/IP. I didn't do it).

9. Reboot.

10. Opened Network Connections. Right mouse click on Wireless Connections to open properties. Install Client for Windows, File and Printer Sharing, and TCP/IP items. Select Wireless tab. Selected Properites and Advanced tab for preferred network and ensure all settings were correct in accordance with postings above (I use WEP enabled)

11. Rerun "Setup a Home or Small Office Network" on client

Still had 169... IP address on client PC. The final solution not found above was Drumroll please......

12. Rerun "Setup a Home or Small Office Network" on my Server PC. IP address on Server changed from 192.68.0.1 to 192.168.0.1 and full connectivity was restore between all PC's on network and with the adware gone PC's are fast.

simulaire 12-25-2004 03:36 PM

NAV uninstall fix for dhcp problems

Thanks to tronz for posting (8/9/03) the correct fix for my NAV uninstall problems.

After uninstalling NAV 2003 on two WinXP machines, they would not acquire local ips from my LAN. Deleting the SYMTDI registry references worked like a charm.

On the first uninstall, I wasn't aware of this known problem and hadn't downloaded Symantec's special tool for complete removal. tronz's fix worked immediately (well, after an hour or so of searching around to find it). For the second uninstall, I ran Symantec's RNAV2003.exe tool (after following their directions to first try Control Panel>Add or Remove Programs)...and the same problem persisted :stab: !!!! tronz's fix to the rescue, again. :)

As a long-time Norton fan, I am disappointed at the direction Symantec has taken the software in the last several years. My uninstall debacle confirmed the wisdom of my recent switch to a different solution. How can a consumer trust a security company that, even when specifically writing code to do so, can't provide an effective uninstall program? My experience suggests that Symantec are either:

1) incompetent at coding or managing their software projects
2) don't care sufficiently about the end user (perhaps the corporate experience is different)
3) intentionally make it difficult to migrate to other products.

I encourage users to investigate other antivirus solutions...but I wouldn't be surprised if many on the bb reached that conclusion a long time ago.

Jason425 12-25-2004 04:05 PM

yea I quit symantec... it's a hog

CiKoTiC 12-25-2004 09:03 PM

Not the Corp. Edition. 8)

Jason425 12-25-2004 10:32 PM

but the corp edition is ugly! ;)

CiKoTiC 12-25-2004 11:19 PM

If your meaning of ugly means it don't have pop-ups when you boot and fancy config windows then your right. That's why I like it. It does it's job without all the annoying stuff. The only time I want to see a pop-up from it is when it catches something. And that's exactly what it does. :nod:

Jason425 12-25-2004 11:58 PM

AVG isn't as ugly! (as ugly I mean grey and nasty).. even though you can prob change it.. I'm just looking for excuses here!

Dragon 12-27-2004 11:22 AM

i had a probelm similar to the ones you guys are listing, more a combination thereof. basically my IP had changed on my PC, with no physical changes to the network. none on the network had any access to the internet however. basically, all i did was. shutdown everything, starting with the PCs and working my way up: switches, router, modem. and then waited for about 15 mins and plugged it all back in in reverse order. modem, 2mins then router, 2 mins, then switches, 2 mins then PCs and laptops. now it works fine. its a wired network by the way.

simulaire 12-27-2004 02:07 PM

antivirus Q: any problems w/McAfee

Rebooting is effective but not particularly efficient if it happens much...hopefully, Dragon, you don't have a recurring problem and won't be forced to do further troubleshooting (I know it would bug me as to exactly what happened).

Q: Seems some don't mind NAV Corp ed, but I just switched to ZA Security Suite, which I believe uses McAfee's antivirus engine...are there any problems anyone's aware of with this solution? It seems faster and simpler than NAV's solution.

PS as an independent, all I need is to protect a peer-to-peer plus a server or two behind a home router...Corp software not an option, nor desired.

vee_ess 12-27-2004 03:16 PM

Dragon, sometimes IP configurations can change if a certain system isn't powered on when others are. The reason is because one system stores all the information about a network and workgroups and keeps a table of what systems have what IPs. If that system isn't on when another boots up, the other system may set its own IP at the very initial IP of the set IP range. If you need to avoid this, disable DHCP and configure the IP of each system individually and manually. They will not change again, unless you change them.

Simulaire, make sure the router is a NAT (preferably with SPI). NAT is the single biggest security enhancement for the consumer market.

Omega 12-29-2004 01:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vee_ess
make sure the router is a NAT

Have you ever seen a SOHO/retail router that /didn't/ use NAT (PAT, if you want to get more technical)?

Jason425 12-29-2004 01:44 AM

my old d-link 704 didn't.. but it just stopped working.. so there you go.. but point made.. all NEW routers will come with something like that...

simulaire 12-31-2004 03:56 PM

Quote:

Simulaire, make sure the router is a NAT (preferably with SPI). NAT is the single biggest security enhancement for the consumer market.

Yes, of course the router has NAT (and SPI)...but that is only one level of protection, and not foolproof. You didn't mention:

- only run day-to-day as limited user when connected to (W)LAN
- don't share any folders except carefully designated ones w/permissions thoughtfully set
- good firewall
- good antivirus
- keep up on your patches
- try to avoid software with consistently major security problems (e.g., Firefox has worked quite well for me in place of IE)

I'm sure many of you out there have several more sophisticated approaches but for a small operator with no high-profile web presence, I've yet to have a security breach in 5 years of static ip broadband connection (knock on wood, it could happen anytime.)

Still asking 'though...any feedback on ZA Sec Suite antivirus?

vee_ess 01-03-2005 12:54 AM

Avoid ZA Security Suite. They use Norton technology. McAfee and Panda do much better.

simulaire 01-03-2005 11:25 AM

Quote:

Avoid ZA Security Suite. They use Norton technology. McAfee and Panda do much better.

Quote:

Originally Posted by I
...which I believe uses McAfee's antivirus

Incorrect, both you and I! I bothered to track down the facts this time:

According to ZA's own site, they use Computer Associates Vet Antivirus technology.

vee_ess 01-03-2005 04:18 PM

You're absolutely right. For some reason I was thinking CA owned Symantec rather than Innoculate IT. damn....

ahiemstra 02-04-2005 05:39 PM

The solution might be very simple (as on my PC): Go to services and look for the DHCP service. Some applications might disable this service. I suspect NetSwitcher II might do this for example.

Regards, Arjen.