View Single Post
Old 01-15-2004, 11:21 PM
Super Moderator

Send a message via ICQ to vee_ess Send a message via AIM to vee_ess Send a message via MSN to vee_ess Send a message via Yahoo to vee_ess

You can't start the Windows 2000 installation from Windows XP, because XP thinks you are replacing it with a previous OS, which won't let you do. Just boot from the Windows 2000 CD and you can start the installation fine. Make sure you either install it to another drive or partition, or even just a new system root. What I mean by that, is that to install to the same partition on the same drive, you must have a new Windows folder. Generally I use win** for each OS if I choose to do that; for example I'll have system roots of C:\WIN2K and C:\WIN98 for Windows 2000 and Windows 98 respectively. So far, when I have done this, I haven't had any problems. The important folders and folder groups are named differently as the OS installation will detect that they are already there and must create new names for the folders. If something were to happen you can always go to the registry real quick and just change the directory paths.