View Single Post
Old 08-09-2003, 01:57 AM
tronz

Default tronz

Win2K or WinXP
Cause of problem trying to uninstall Norton AntiVirus or System. I have DHCP problem fix.
I got 2 Solution First try this.
* from the Start Menu select run
* type 'regedit' and click OK
* open the following folders, HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE, then SYSTEM, CurrentControlSet, Services, and finally Dhcp.
* Double-click the key DependOnService
* remove what will probably be the last item in the list, something like SYMTDI. Leave everything else alone
* click OK.
* close RegEdit and reboot.

DHCP should work again.

Should a problem come up (messing up the registry entries) you can also press F8 (or is it F5?) and select Use Last Known Good Configuration from the boot menu. That will restore various registry entries to what was used last.

I'm not sure why Norton installs this key. For some types of firewall software a dependency like this is added to ensure the firewall is running before DHCP grabs an address. Of course, Norton Anti-Virus should have removed this dependency when it was unistalled. Clearly its a bug in the uninstall routine.

Second Solution
To edit the registry:

1.Click Start, and then click Run. The Run dialog box appears.
2.Type regedt32.exe in the Run box, and then click OK. The Registry Editor opens.
3.In the left pane, navigate to each of the following subkeys:
*HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\DHCP
*HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\NetBT
4.In the right pane, double-click the item DependOnService.
5.Delete any references to SYMTDI or NISDRV.
6.Click Registry and click Exit to save the changes and close the Registry Editor.

Should the fix the Problem