View Single Post
Old 08-20-2001, 01:11 AM
Hulaboy

Default Need help because PC crashed

I don't know if this is the right forum to put this in but since it deals with Windows crashing I guess this is where I'll put it.  I'm hoping that there's someone in here that can help me out with this problem.  My PC crashed today and I'm running out of options on what I need to do.  This is what happened.  As I was starting Morpheus up, it crashed.  So, I did the 3 finger salute(CTRL-ALT-DEL) to shut it down. That was fine.  Windows shut it down but once it did that it too crashed.  There was no other way of getting the system back up again other than to turn it off and reboot.

Normally, I'll get the blue scandisc screen.  That's what I got and once it got to 15% it said something about an illegal long file name and that it couldn't fix it. Alright, reboot again. I tried rebooting in Safe Mode...nothing. It'll crash during Scandisc.  The same thing goes when I try to boot off a start-up disc. Running Scanreg from a command prompt gives a "Your program caused a divide overflow error...." and then
crashes.  I ran Scanreg because at one point it wouldn't let me in even through Safe Mode and it said that it encountered an invalid registry/configuration setup.

Is there anything that I can use to fix this or perhaps just get my system up so that I can get the important stuff off?  I've really got some important documents on this drive and I would really hate to lose them. What about any software out there available for data recovery purposes?  Yeah, I know...I should've backed up my stuff. Unfortunately, those files were acquired in between schedules. I would greatly appreciate an help anyone can give. Thanks!

By they way...this is a Win98SE system.

-------added--------
Success!! I don't know what happened but I can now get in my system using a Win98SE start up disc.  I still can't boot up to Win98SE successfully.  So this is what I'm thinking of doing. Due to the large amount of data I need to transfer (~4GB worth), I will probably connect a spare drive to the computer and transfer the files using DOS.  One question, I totally forgot the DOS syntax to copy from one location to the other...meaning does anybody know the DOS syntax of copying a directory (with other directories in it) to another location (i.e. drive).  Once again, I would greatly appreciate any help.