Thread: Win98 or XP
View Single Post
Old 06-10-2002, 05:31 PM
Super Moderator

Send a message via ICQ to vee_ess Send a message via AIM to vee_ess Send a message via MSN to vee_ess Send a message via Yahoo to vee_ess
Default Re: Win98 or XP

XP is way faster than 98 on most instances and is just as tweakable as 98. Sorry, to contradict you Savage, but Win 2000 isn't slow as it is the fastest MS OS yet, as long as it is on a comp above 300-350mhz. It even runs faster for me than Redhat 7.3.
  • XP has much better stability
  • better up-and-coming support and fixes, etc. (even though its already better)
  • Compatability is about on par with 98. not as much as ME, but who wants ME?
  • if you stick w/ MS in future, more likely to be able to upgrade
i have had every MS OS and 98 is better on slower comps, but if yours is above 300, stick with XP, because it is also as resilient as Windows 2000. I screw with all sorts of setting, and if something is screwed up with 98, you reformat and reinstall. but with XP, just cancel certain services and you can fix it in a heartbeat.

[glow=orange,2,900]ALSO: Tip - If you install something in XP or 2k, and it tells you to restart, in most cases, if you click Ctrl+Shift+Esc, you get to the taskman and you just need to go to proccesses, click explorer.exe (not iexporer.exe), End process, and then click the tab for applications, new task, type explorer & ENTER. No reboot necessary[/glow]