Techware Labs Header

Forums have moved

See this announcement for more details, or just go directly there.

Go Back   Techwarelabs Community > Tech > Hardware

Old 03-26-2008, 02:46 PM
Junior Techie

Send a message via Yahoo to 7beauties
Unhappy Will AMD make a come back?

I've built my first PC in 2000 with the then top of the line AMD Athlon 700Mhz slot A CPU. Since then I've gone through at least three upgrades, all with newer, better Athlons to where I'm currently at with an Athlon 64 X2 4400+ 939 CPU. I was proud of AMD in 2004 when it ruled the roost and made big inroads in Intel's desktop market share. Maximum PC's end of year best of hardware issue featured only AMD procs for 1st place and runner up. But now that seems like so long ago and once again AMD is left in old territory, very late with new introductions that upon release are far behind Intel, forcing AMD to be a "budget-minded" alternative. AMD's fortunes seemed to take a turn for the worse when they over-paid in acquiring ATI. Though I'm still very loyal to AMD, it dismays me that they're repackaging defective Quad Core Procs as three core parts. The Phenoms that they are selling are ridiculous: 2.2Ghz and 2.3Ghz which can't come close in performance against Intel's lowest models. And when AMD does ship higher speed Phenoms at the promised die process of 45nm, how we will savy shoppers know which stepping has corrected the infamous TLB erratum? I'm told that the "GH" stepping of the Opterons are the stepping 3 version with the erratum corrected, but what is the designation for the Phenom that's corrected?

I hope that AMD makes a complete come back, and not as a budget alternative to Intel's silicon, but as the technology leader. Any thoughts? Can anyone brighten my outlook? Whether you're an AMD fan or of Intel, the market place benefits when two rivals compete against one another. The worst thing that could happen is that AMD folds and goes under. Then there would be no reason for Intel to sell any proc affordably, and no reason for them to improve their product line.
Old 04-24-2008, 07:53 PM
Techie

Not until management is changed. Intel is crushing them right now, and their management is horrible, and they're going down, losing both employees and fans.
Old 04-25-2008, 12:12 AM
Junior Techie

If intel is bashing in their heads in this way,and continues to do this,I do not see ways of recovery for AMD
Old 04-25-2008, 12:23 AM
HigHTecHReDNecK
Techie

Although I do agree that AMD is in trouble and is in serious need of restructuring, I dont think they'll fold or go out of business. AMD has always been and most likely always will be the underdog. Yes they're doing bad right now, but in reality all tech seems to go in cycles. Some major examples are

AMD v Intel
Western Digital v Seagate
ATi v Nvidia

and so on ........... Give it some time and I bet AMD will come back yet again , then after that they'll get knocked back down and so on and so on

*I'm actually fairly happy with my purchase of the Phenom 9500, and I'll keep on buying AMD and Intel without regaurd for any "benchmark" hype, I just like buying cpu's **
Old 04-25-2008, 08:36 AM
C453 M0dd3r
Mad Techie

Send a message via AIM to JasonD

at this current point in the market, AMD is producing stable CPUs for cheap, and Intel is producing high performance, highly overclockable CPUs for more. It's really all about what you need in your rig. In my Overclocking Guide on the E6300 "http://www.techwarelabs.com/guides/misc_mod/overclockingguide/" I received a 73% overclock last June and it's still pretty stable. Michael Lynch did an AMD overclock test and didn't get very far.

Plus, AMD chairmen need to stop leaving :-)
Old 04-25-2008, 02:19 PM
Junior Techie

There are a lot of AMD fans that already switched to Intel so this is not a very good thing I suppose
Old 04-28-2008, 01:47 AM
Techie

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolZone View Post
There are a lot of AMD fans that already switched to Intel so this is not a very good thing I suppose
Used to be one of them. Fan or not, when money is going to be spent, I'd rather have it spent on a superior product, and AMD isn't up to the competition.
Old 04-30-2008, 05:25 AM
Junior Techie

You are right.I had both AMD and Intel configurations.I always upgrade with the CPU that offers the best price/performance ratio,no matter the brand
Old 05-23-2008, 04:41 PM
Junior Techie

Its going to go back and forth as new technologies and even management are doing new things. I think it will always be like this as long as they still want to keep making money.
Old 05-23-2008, 06:05 PM
Techie

I think for AMD, it's looking promising from the graphic cards side, but for processors, it's just hopeless, especially with Nehalem on the horizon.