Techware Labs Header

Forums have moved

See this announcement for more details, or just go directly there.

Old 03-29-2002, 04:23 PM
Super Moderator

Send a message via ICQ to vee_ess Send a message via AIM to vee_ess Send a message via MSN to vee_ess Send a message via Yahoo to vee_ess
Default best gaming OS

with xp sort of close in compatibility to 98, but way faster, i am wondering what everyone thinks about which OS is best for gaming
Old 03-29-2002, 09:40 PM
Grinnin Reaper

Default Re: best gaming OS

Still Love the 98.  It can be better manipulated and most of the bugs have been worked out.  XP is still to new and the whole manadatory registration still chesses my off.  It's got potential and if I buy another laptop and it's on there I'll give it a spin.  But I ain't layin' down none o' my cash for nothin' XP unless it's a new AMD XP processor, know what I mean?
Old 03-31-2002, 12:25 AM
Super Moderator

Send a message via ICQ to vee_ess Send a message via AIM to vee_ess Send a message via MSN to vee_ess Send a message via Yahoo to vee_ess

yeah, i am starting to really get PO'd with XP. that's cuz Need For Speed: High Stakes isn't running properly, and i dont want to format my computer for fourth time today. they shouldn't wait to release their first service pack, even though it supposedly going to revamp it in a major sense.
Old 03-31-2002, 06:46 AM
Grinnin Reaper

I've been readin' rumor's let me underline that again rumor's that microshaft is considering a XP Second Edition, cause so many things need reworked but it doesn't justify a whole new OS.  All I know is that 2K sucks.  I don't care what anyone says.  I was forced to put it on a computer a work on the network. SLOW.  Only way to describe.  It better crash less cause it takes forever to reboot.  I ran a test to compare boot times to a Win 98 box.  The 2000 came up a second before the 98 box finished booting ON IT'S FOURTH RESTART.  I had the 98 box up 3 times and rebooted it and it still almost beat the 2000 box that was still on it's first boot.  That's just sick in my mind.  And yes they were nearly identical computers.  Both had P-4's with 128 MB of Ram.  2000 just sucks that's all.
Old 03-31-2002, 11:49 AM
Chef

OK, dudes, I respect your opinion, but OS for games ? Isn't that weird, I mean you're looking for better OS to play games. Well, first I don't think there is such a thing, because games run the same way all the time independently from OS, the question is if certain OS supports specific game + if it has the best drivers/patches installed (as you couldn't install OpenGL on W2K, to improve gaming quality).

Games are not affected by OS in any other way. It's separate application, that depends on your hardware configuration. All of today's games have lots of special settings, that can improve quality, speed ... The rest is up to HW

It's like these commercials saying some CPU's are better for Internet; cmon get clean & fast connection and smart ISP.

WinXP (& previously WinME) for better gaming, multimedia  and internet experience - what a crap  > Just make it not to crash, that's all .

Now about W2K, yep, it loads slower than W98 ( thinking of W2K srv with all the WINS,AD,DNS,DHCP ... it takes 3 mins to start ). But excuse me, W2K is NOS (network OS) and not just OS. Nobody's asking you to reboot every 15 mins, some systems are working around the clock, users just log off. Think of all the network, security, policy, protocols settings. You install more, it loads slowly & slowly. By the way, linux is also loading pretty slow, but boy it works like a charm.
When I installed fresh machines with kick ass configuration, & Intel 10/100 NICs with BIOS, it took ~1.5 minute (!) to load clean W98 only because the damn thing was looking for DHCP server, give it static address and it would save you 40% boot time. Remove the logo, all the DOS crap + startup applications and voila, it takes ~15 sec on average machine to load W98.

For my opinion W98 is best for games because all of games are tested to work properly with W98 and all drivers for common HW. That's all ...

Cheers
Chef

Old 03-31-2002, 02:47 PM
Super Moderator

i just want to say this...all the games i have played run very differently on different OS's and 2k runs them the best in every instance if it runs the game ME is about the worst for performance but runs everything, but then againg ME just sux.
Old 04-18-2002, 10:41 AM
aoC_PRoZaK

win 98 se is the best tweakable OS, and since i only play HL Firearms, i don't even have to install some shitty direct x stuff. i setup win98se from a dir on my hdd, complete setup and drivers insatllation takes bout an hour, 15 minutes for the important progs. HL no reinstall needed cuz sits on partiton f: . use it this way for about a year now, never hat trouble exept for once when i installed dualbooting and tried win XP - bullshit, thrown the f#*@!N OS outta the window, deleted its partition and added the space to my mp3 partition, far better usage for the space - and so i'll stick with 98se for a while
Old 05-20-2002, 09:22 AM
Administrator

Send a message via ICQ to Omega Send a message via AIM to Omega Send a message via MSN to Omega Send a message via Yahoo to Omega

For me, gaming performance is secondary to stability. Windows 98 crashes probably >5x more than Windows 2000 Professional, and Windows XP Professional is about on par with Windows 2000. Granted, a bit of this has to do with what programs are installed, running, and how the computer is used, but in general, Windows 98 sucks for that.

Unfortunately, Windows 98 still has the edge on gaming performance. Although, from what I've heard, my performance gain when moving from Windows 98SE to Windows 2000 Professional is abnormal, usually the performance losses should be minimal.

Windows XP Professional has similar, but slightly better gaming performance than Windows 2000, and assuming the Luna GUI is disabled, similar OS performance.

Savage: I don't think there's any reasonable explanation for how long it was taking you to boot Windows 2000, but that's definately abnormal (unless you were booting Windows 2000 Advanced Server, which likely had several services to begin). I would check to make sure all your hard drive, and IDE settings and drivers were correct.
Old 05-20-2002, 11:48 AM
Super Moderator

i think we are onthe same brain wave, Omega
Old 05-22-2002, 05:06 PM
Shanti

[quote author=Chef <Cheflab.com> link=board=windows&num=1017437021&start=0#4 date=03/31/02 at 10:49:05]
because games run the same way all the time independently from OS...Games are not affected by OS in any other way. It's separate application, that depends on your hardware configuration.
[/quote]
This is completely wrong.  Games and other applications use the OS for everything they do.  In fact, all they do is send requests to the OS.  The OS decides the specifics of how to handle that request.

Different OS's handle things like task scheduling (dividing CPU time between processes) and memory management differently.  So there is definitely a difference in the way an application performs on different OS's.  

Please do not spread such disinformation.  If you are just taking a guess, let people know that instead of acting as if you know what you are talking about.