Techware Labs Header

Forums have moved

See this announcement for more details, or just go directly there.

Go Back   Techwarelabs Community > Tech > Operating Systems

Old 03-16-2002, 03:34 PM
Chef

Default Re: WinXP licence vs HW upgrades

I've heard about, but noticed that this topic wasn't really mentioned on public. Not PCMag and stuff, but for typical SEU. and that's ~ 75% of all users

Nobody tells you about, when you come to store to get it,
Nobody will point you to this serious disadvantage, that's all ...

Cheers
Chef
Old 03-16-2002, 04:09 PM
Grinnin Reaper

Your limited to 3 hardware upgrades then XP tells you you need to re-register or it stops working in a preset amount of time

Here's a link to some posts about that

http://www.netsmog.com/cgi-bin/yabb/...139934&start=0

And here's the world's easiest crack.  This was proven on a beta but may still work

http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/4/20433.html

According to this note on the register just copy that file back from a backup copy and as long as your memory didn't chage your fine.  You rally need to read this though it goes into great detail as to what will trigger a re-register notification and how long you'll have.
Old 03-17-2002, 01:41 AM
Super Moderator

Send a message via ICQ to vee_ess Send a message via AIM to vee_ess Send a message via MSN to vee_ess Send a message via Yahoo to vee_ess

sorry savage, but it aint 3, it was gonna be four prior to release and then when they released it it became 6.

you right chef, they didn't say a word in the stores, i didn't hear what you saying. i dont think it is that bad though, cuz four months after an upgrade it takes it off of upgrade status or so to speak.so if you upgrade once a month you can go forever without having to re-activate
Old 03-17-2002, 03:21 PM
Aoshi

BEST WAY TO GET AROUND THAT:  use win98 or win2kpro  
Old 03-17-2002, 03:44 PM
Super Moderator

Send a message via ICQ to vee_ess Send a message via AIM to vee_ess Send a message via MSN to vee_ess Send a message via Yahoo to vee_ess

one problem though,
[table][tr][td]Windows 98 lacks[/td][td][/td][td]Stability[/td][/tr][tr][td]Windows 2000 lacks[/td][td][/td][td]Compatibility[/td][/tr][tr][td]Windows XP lacks[/td][td][/td][td](N/A)[/td][/tr][/table]
Old 03-17-2002, 04:02 PM
Chef

talking about XP lacks you may find this article interesting
http://grc.com/dos/xpconference.htm

Cheers

Old 03-17-2002, 06:59 PM
Grinnin Reaper

Sorry about tha Vee ess I didn't here they upped it to 6.  But I disagree about 98 not being stable.  My system is fairly stable considering how much messin' I do with it  ;D .   I had 2000 on my laptop at work and went back to 98 for stability and general pain in the ass issues.  Messed with XP for 5 minutes on someone else's computer and was very sorry for even looking at it.  The few things I like about Windows was gone.  Their right it makes you free.  Free to shoot yourself in the face.  If you want something to be user friendly why make it harder to use.  I just want it to run quicker and better.  I don't need the integrated crap and the electric butt wiper.  If I need DVD software I'll go get it.  Just give me speed and ease of use.  That is what an OS needs to be.  (and now I'll get of my soapbox.)
Old 03-17-2002, 07:31 PM
Aoshi

win 98 has pretty good stability,
win2k yeah maybe, but i like it  
XP isnt out there for us techies, its out there for joe computer illiterate
Old 03-17-2002, 11:49 PM
Super Moderator

on many computers, i believe you are right Savage. mine has weird configuration though and it doesn't run any DOS kernel OS very stabily. With 2k, i have not had it crash twice in a day. In fact XP hasn't crashed yet, in a week, and 2k hadn't crashed for me for a period of about 8 months, coulda kept going but i installed XP. I have gotten acustom to the way you tweak 2k and xp and could not go back even if it was stable to a DOS kernel OS, simply cuz of the lack of power. It is hard to find at first in 2k and xp, but once you find the areas to play in, you are drenched in powerful toys.

now gonna read Chef's article
edit: but its long so ill read when offline
Old 03-18-2002, 01:24 PM
Chef

not Chef's but Steve's article . he's the real pro and there's much more great articles on his site.

Now about stability.
There is no perfect OS, so if Win2000 crashes (more like freezes) on sth, I run that specific application on Win98 and vice versa. Older OS are usually more stable, that's why W2K networks are not popular yet.
Not all W98 software was approved to work with WinME/XP/2K, but it works fine. It's obviously impossible to predict how certain application would behave on certain machine with another 100 things installed, so having several OS is not a bad idea

In about 2 yrs MS announced on Win98SE/Win2000/WinME/WinXP (not to talk about all the pro,corp,adv,pe and so on), so it's odd to think there is sth revolutionary new in each one of these, sure it's fun to try new things, but to waste money for it ???

Cheers
Chef