Techware Labs Header

Forums have moved

See this announcement for more details, or just go directly there.

Old 09-17-2008, 11:16 AM
Super Moderator

Default AppleCare

Quote:
Originally Posted by Millwright View Post
These warranties have had the odds researched the nnnth degree, I trust all the companies to do a good job of this. That is why I would never buy one.

The odds are that you will pay them more than you get back. Sure, sometimes you win, but the odds are against it.
Consider how much abuse an average iPod takes in its life - I've gone through four (I swear, I'm not kidding) 4th-gen 40gb iPods, two iPod first-generations, and am now on my first second-gen. (Or was it one first-gen, and two second-gen? Ah, details.) This lives on my belt, or in my laptop bag, where they see very nearly as much abuse as my body, and it's better at handling shock than spinning hard drives (Maxtor, your 1.8" drives are made of FAIL! and I'm glad Apple dropped you!) and to some extent, microchips.

While extended warranties on large, well-cooled, house-powered electronics may not be worth it, anything intended for EDC should probably carry an extended warranty - the other thing all these things have in common is poor waterproofing and an environment where they can be rained on. Also, they tend to use lithium-ion batteries which, to quote Wikipedia, can suffer 40% [capacity] loss after 3 months under abusive conditions... like sitting in a charging cradle in your car.

Personally, I bought AppleCare on my Macbook Pro, and it just bought me a new screen (dead pixels) and a new keyboard and topcase (dead keyboard and trackpad) after 14 months (two months out of 'standard' warranty) - totally worth it