Techware Labs Header

Forums have moved

See this announcement for more details, or just go directly there.

Old 10-10-2002, 04:37 AM
q2_stefan

Yes it is a two-part test. see ^ above ^
Old 03-13-2003, 07:22 PM

the price that is going right now in my area is $139 for each the core hardware and the os test
Old 04-11-2003, 12:14 AM

It's cake, don't worry about it.
Old 05-02-2003, 01:30 PM
wildcard

I don't know about it being cake, as nitpicky as it seems I think it would be a hard test.

realistically, how many computer techs these days memorize what IRQs are assigned where or any of the other mini trivia tidbits found in a PC?

I've taken an A+ class, read books, but am scared to test it! It's a shame too, since A+ and Network+ both together can be used as an elective on the MCSA cert.

-WC-
Old 05-06-2003, 12:54 PM

I recently passed the Network+ Exam (yippie!) and was making 95-100% on the practice tests without fail and made 80% on the actual exam.

I agree about the A+ exam. Most of this is common sense and who can memorize all the tables and settings? I'd rather hire someone with common sense who can know where to go to find the infor rather than someone who can spit it back up.
Old 05-07-2003, 10:05 AM
Tekime

The A+ tests as stated are in two parts - Hardware and OS. You need a lot more than "a basic understanding of hardware" if you want to do well on the tests. First of all, one of the tests, and IMO the hardest one, is entirely OS related, so obviously any hardware knowledge is going to worthless for that purpose.

How easy/hard the tests are depend entirely on your current skillset and experience. If you have years of practical experience with computers, but you can't remember common IRQ's or what DB25 is you might scrape by, but the cert. does test for this kind of knowledge. Perhaps it's 'busy work', or something you can just look up, but IMO this is really 'grassroots' knowledge that you should at least touch on.

The OS tests focus a lot on NT kernel boot processes and priveleges, basic administration tasks, etc. I do not believe Win98 is even part of the test anymore, I had no questions on it.

Liek I said the difficulty the test will pose depends on your current level of expertise. If you are a total newb then a good class with hands-on practice would be a good idea. Otherwise you can most likely pick up a good book (try Mike Meyer's) and just brush up. I used Meyer's book and took both tests back to back, was out of there with my cert in about 30 minutes and passed with flying colors, so I highly recommend his books.
Old 05-20-2003, 12:25 PM
the dunne

Default A+

look man....im not sure what the problem is but ive taken the test now 6 times and i can't seem to break the 50 percentile. ive taken numerous courses and spent thousands of dollars trying to pass this dang test and i fail everytime. im thinking of giving up all together and applying for med school instead. im pretty good with a scaffel
Old 05-20-2003, 02:14 PM
Administrator

Send a message via ICQ to Keefe Send a message via AIM to Keefe Send a message via MSN to Keefe Send a message via Yahoo to Keefe

Do you have lots of real world experience with computers, or just "book" experience?
Old 05-21-2003, 08:21 AM
the dunne

ya see boys, its like the time i went to law school (dropped out after one day cause i smashed up my car in the parking lot) i just don't handle stress very well and when im sitting in a room taking a test i get nervous frustrated and want to throw the computer out the window....i do have a little hands on experience but only with macs...and to tell you the truth, when ever i have a problem with a computer i just pull out the old hammer and give it a little tap...believe it or not this usually does the trick..and when that doesn't work i just tell the client that it was hit by a virus and they need to get their boss on the phone to get them a new computer...anyways, i have to get back to work now so wish me luck tomorrow...it will be my last attempt at getting this A+ thing on my resume
Old 07-07-2003, 06:22 PM
Lab Master Techie

Send a message via AIM to Jason425 Send a message via Yahoo to Jason425

I passed the hardware part of the test today, out of 1300, 596 is passing and I got 669, I didn't do too well. The test does well at finding everything you're not so good at and asking you about it. I take the OS test tomorrow, wish me luck!
Dell Inspiron 1420 in Midnight Blue - Intel Core2Duo T7300 2.0GHZ/4MB - 2GB Ram - Nvidia 8400 GS 128mb - DVD/RW - 160GB 7200RPM - 14.1" Antiglare - Intel 4965AGN - Bluetooth 2.0 - 2MP Webcam - Vista Home Premium
2005 Mazda3i in Strato Blue
http://www.jasondsmith.net