Techware Labs Header

Forums have moved

See this announcement for more details, or just go directly there.

Old 04-12-2003, 11:32 AM
Lab Master Techie

Send a message via AIM to Jason425 Send a message via Yahoo to Jason425

i dont know anything for sure other than reinstalling the OS and possibly reformatting, though you probably dont have to go that far :/
Dell Inspiron 1420 in Midnight Blue - Intel Core2Duo T7300 2.0GHZ/4MB - 2GB Ram - Nvidia 8400 GS 128mb - DVD/RW - 160GB 7200RPM - 14.1" Antiglare - Intel 4965AGN - Bluetooth 2.0 - 2MP Webcam - Vista Home Premium
2005 Mazda3i in Strato Blue
http://www.jasondsmith.net

Old 06-15-2003, 10:42 AM
ogahm

Default RIP DEVLDR32.EXE

Don't you hate it when the OS makes it so you can't get something simple accomplished?
Don't you love it when you find the answer?

Go to safemode and search for devldr in the WINNT folder (or whatever it is on your system (Windows probably)). Delete the 3 instances of devldr that are NOT in cab files. There is one in the cab that does not, and probably should not, need to be removed. It was 3 for me, may be more or less depending on your system configuration. There will also be a preload, you can delete that too (devldr32.exe#####.pf # = some number). I also deleted devcon.dll, according to Creative this is one of the files that devldr32.exe loads, I wanted it gone. May or may not matter.

here is what they say:
Devldr32.exe/Devldr16.exe:

In SBLive legacy driver, Devldr32.exe (NT platform) and Devldr16.exe(win9x platform) is used to load/unload devcon32.dll to support EAX/Soundfont. It will set the default midi device as well.

(this link may or may not get you to the Creative info:
http://dmzweb3.europe.creative.com/SRVS/CGI-BIN/WEBCGI.EXE/,/?St=83,E=0000000000001822297,K=2702,Sxi=2,Case=obj(7965),VARSET=centric:108,Kb=creative_cli_en
doesn't look good though. ) if not go to their support>knowledge base> search > look for devldr, the article should show up.

Reboot. No more devldr.exe in taskmanager.

I don't know if it made a difference, probably not, but I changed the registry a little bit. If the solution doesn't work, try it with this registry setting (from MS help in XP, search help for registry setting for Windows File Protection)
go to:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\WindowsNT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon

and adjust the following values for the desired effect:

Registry Values
SFCDisable (REG_DWORD)
0 = enabled (default)
1 = disabled, prompt at boot to re-enable
2 = disabled at next boot only, no prompt to re-enable
4 = enabled, with popups disabled

NOTE: For options 1 and 2: Both of these options require a kernel debugger to be hooked up for those options to become useable. If a kernel debugger is not hooked up, Windows File Protection is not disabled.
SFCScan (REG_DWORD)
0 = do not scan protected files at boot (default)
1 = scan protected files at every boot
2 = scan protected files once
SFCQuota (REG_DWORD)
n = size (in megabytes) of dllcache quota (default is 0xffffffff or approximately 300 MB)
FFFFFFFF = cache all protected system files on the local hard disk
SFCDllCacheDir (REG_EXPAND_SZ)
Path = local or network location of dllcache folder (default is %SystemRoot%\System32)

NOTE: Network shares for the dllcache directory are no longer supported.
SFCShowProgress (REG_DWORD)
0 = System File Checker progress meter is not displayed (default)
1 = System File Checker progress meter is displayed

Thanks for the help I got from you guys with your posts.

and you are welcome.
Old 06-19-2003, 02:00 AM
playwithmeee6969@aol.com

Default ????????

I can't seem get rid of the process. I posted from my email address, so if you have any suggestions, I'd really appreciate it if you could send me some directions to get this off my computer.
Old 07-15-2003, 10:04 AM
Zerone

I found that getting the latest drivers from Creative worked for me, however I still keep getting loads of similar messages from other applications and I don't have a clue what they are. For example "Motive Chorus Comand Line Interface" keeps popping up. On the topic of irritating annoying start up applications, how can you stop them from loading when they are not in the msconfic>startup thingy?

Cheers
Old 08-05-2003, 07:25 PM
empathy

Default devldr32.exe loads with fresh Windows XP install

I wanted to share my experience with Windows XP and devldr32.exe. Note I am using a Creative Labs Soundblaster Live Platinum 5.1.

I recently installed Windows XP Pro from scratch on a freshly formatted partition. All critical updates and drivers have been applied.

Note there were not additional SB drivers shown available from Windows Update at any point.

Default Windows XP drivers are used. I have not downladed or installed Creative Labs drivers.

For reference I prefer to use Windows XP drivers for hardware unless there is a specific reason to upgrade to new drivers.

I know this could spark a debate of its own, which is fine, however, I simply feel the Windows-certified drivers, if working properly, are fine and reduce the risks of installing additional software or drivers.

My point is devldr32.exe loads and runs all the time. It appears standard and normal.

I do not know if it is neceesary or what it does however.

I do know it was installed and told to run by native Windows XP Pro even with all the important updates.

Without knowing what it does or why it runs I feel it would be a mistake to remove it, especially with force.

I think it is critical to this discussion to truly understand what devldr32.exe does, why it loads and stays loaded and what the consequences of forcefully removing it are.
Old 08-05-2003, 07:31 PM
empathy

Default Follow up; how to remove WDM of SB Live

The article does not discuss individually removing items such as devldr32.exe or the consequences thereof.

http://dmzweb3.europe.creative.com/SRVS/CGI-BIN/WEBCGI.EXE/,/?St=7,E=0000000000006784112,K=2702,Sxi=7,Case=obj(2939),VARSET=centric:108,Kb=creative_cli_en

*the url tagging in this forum doesn't appear to work.
Old 08-23-2003, 02:58 PM

Like you empathy, I also recently did a fresh format and re-install of WinXP (on my older, K6-III+ secondary box).

I installed the latest VIA chipset, ATI display and NIC drivers, then got all the updates from Windows Updates. Similarily, there was no additional SB driver shown/available from Windows Update at any point.

I also was planning on just using the default Windows drivers, hoping I could avoid the VIA chipset/SB Live! crackling issue, but found devldr32.exe kept loading at startup and found this thread when I went to Google to investigate. I read your post(s) and decided to give the updated Creative livedrvuni-pack a shot, just to see what would happen... devldr32.exe has been replaced with cthelper.exe, lol. One step forward, one step backward. Now I've got to research cthelper.exe and find out if it's necessary.

This is the first time I've installed this latest SB driver update on this system so I'm hoping the crackling issue has finally been solved. After I've installed and tested a few games I'll post back and report the results.
Old 09-02-2003, 12:38 AM
Somber Goat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorkey
The windows file protection services will protect the file from getting deleted.
I'm running into this again myself. I ended up getting rid of it once by simple just rolling back the drivers to a previous version.
It's not a service, not in RUN or Services registry keys.
I did the same thing, rolled back the drivers in XP and it's no longer a running application. Although I did for some reason lose my 5.1, Just my 2 front are running. I'll investigate further but hell the damn thing(devldr32.exe) is not running anymore and I can atleast shut my machine down with a couple of clicks instead of killing it.
Old 09-05-2003, 06:35 PM
Somber Goat

Update from last post: After rolling back drivers causing only the 2 front speakers to work and devldr32.exe gone I went and unistalled and removed my SBlive card totally.

After reinstalling the card and using MS drivers I decided to play a hunch and using the creative CD installed the following:
"Surround Mixer" (for configuring speakers),
"Diagnostics" (for troubleshooting and testing), and
"Creative Remote Center" (for across the room control of mp3's)

Only these 3 things, nothing else from the Creative CD. After a reboot, I quickly CTRL-ALT-DELETE'd and found devldr32.exe running..... first thought was crap but then I tried for the hell of it a normal shutdown and it worked...... Not sure how but it did, after that reboot I was able to use the diagnostics tool to reconfig my speakers back to 5.1

From that point i've been good to go with real shutdown's, correct speaker settings and devldr32.exe running without causing any issues.

Not sure if anybody else will have the same luck but it's worth a shot.
Old 10-25-2003, 10:12 AM
Regieg1

Is this a missile like sound you are having? That is what I have and it drives me insane!!! I can't seem to find the source of it. It jsut keeps finring away.