Techware Labs Header

Forums have moved

See this announcement for more details, or just go directly there.

Old 06-02-2004, 06:48 PM
Super Moderator

Send a message via ICQ to vee_ess Send a message via AIM to vee_ess Send a message via MSN to vee_ess Send a message via Yahoo to vee_ess
Default 4GB freed suddenly

I have 4 partitions on my HD, one of which is 15GB. That is the primary partition, my C: drive, which I use probably 90% of the time. Well I filled it up almost completely; 200 megs left. So to clear it out for now, I moved an ISO to another partition(648MB), and deleted Java 2 RE (200MB) and application that used it (40MB).

I add up the amounts as I go thinking I have about 1GB free now.
200MB + 650MB + 200MB + 40MB = about 1.1GB...

I go to defrag and it says that I have 5.02GB free space on my C: drive. I think defrag.exe must be corrupt so I check it at My Computer and that also says 5GB free. I have a lot of important stuff on here that I can't lose so I'm starting to worry.

So I have 2 questions...
1. Any one have any ideas of how I got 4GB from seemingly no where?
2. Is there a log of all the files deleted?
Old 06-02-2004, 07:28 PM
Lab Master Techie

Send a message via AIM to Jason425 Send a message via Yahoo to Jason425

maybe java is 5 gigs? lol... dunno
Dell Inspiron 1420 in Midnight Blue - Intel Core2Duo T7300 2.0GHZ/4MB - 2GB Ram - Nvidia 8400 GS 128mb - DVD/RW - 160GB 7200RPM - 14.1" Antiglare - Intel 4965AGN - Bluetooth 2.0 - 2MP Webcam - Vista Home Premium
2005 Mazda3i in Strato Blue
http://www.jasondsmith.net

Old 06-02-2004, 10:46 PM
Super Moderator

Send a message via ICQ to vee_ess Send a message via AIM to vee_ess Send a message via MSN to vee_ess Send a message via Yahoo to vee_ess

I sure hope so, because I don't know what I might be missing, and I wouldn't be surprised either, seeing how efficient Java is in the first place. But then again, I didn't have 4 gigs clear when I installed it.
Old 06-03-2004, 12:44 AM
james

well, this is a long shot. but all drives come with extra space reserved for when things go bad in some sectors. You aren't supposed to be able to access it, but if something failed, you might now be writing to that extra part of the harddrive. I kinda doubt this, but who knows. *shrug*
Old 06-03-2004, 01:15 PM
Administrator

Send a message via ICQ to Uranium-235 Send a message via AIM to Uranium-235

run scandisk. It will re-calculate your space.
Old 06-03-2004, 08:08 PM
Platinium Techie

i know the SDks are quite large, but not that big... maybe you somehow cleared out your prefetch or something?
Old 06-03-2004, 11:16 PM
Chronique Technique
Lab Master Techie

Send a message via AIM to Prometheus

some programs are weird that way.......emule for instance takes up less than 15 megs but it showed up in add remove programs as 4 gigs for me....
Old 06-04-2004, 03:41 AM
Super Moderator

I just ran scandisk (chkdsk) and my free space is showing the same amount. I had already cleared out the prefetch to try to gain space. This is puzzling and scaring me more and more since it doesn't seem like anything is missing, while at the same time I know I had more stuff on here than the the used space is currently showing. Thanks for all your help, I really hope I find out what it is.
Old 06-04-2004, 04:38 AM
xMerCLorDx

Quote:
Originally Posted by James
well, this is a long shot. but all drives come with extra space reserved for when things go bad in some sectors. You aren't supposed to be able to access it, but if something failed, you might now be writing to that extra part of the harddrive. I kinda doubt this, but who knows. *shrug*
i recognize the reference, but this isn't the same situation.

just curious, but when you moved the iso did you have to unmount it? also how much of your page file is normally in use?

page files that clear can reveal a shit ton of space. same with browser history, and what have you.
Old 06-04-2004, 07:02 AM
Platinium Techie

Quote:
Originally Posted by prometheus
some programs are weird that way.......emule for instance takes up less than 15 megs but it showed up in add remove programs as 4 gigs for me....
thats cause it includes downloaded files in that.