Techware Labs Header

Forums have moved

See this announcement for more details, or just go directly there.

Old 10-29-2001, 02:17 PM
Administrator

Send a message via ICQ to Keefe Send a message via AIM to Keefe Send a message via MSN to Keefe Send a message via Yahoo to Keefe
Default Hello XP, Goodbye DOS

Is it the end of DOS? It is if you ask Microsoftie Bill Gates, who declared the death of the command line at the launch for the company's new Windows XP operating system. XP, which the industry hopes will reinvigorate the sagging PC market, signals a new world of digital music, streaming video and interactive Web applications for the desktop masses.
Read more here!
Old 11-04-2001, 02:29 PM
thetechfreak

Default Re: Hello XP, Goodbye DOS

DOS is still there, windoze is a DOS shell remember

just that bill dont want us using it, but as long as doze is just a shell there is a way in

btw, ME was the first OS to kik dos
Old 11-04-2001, 10:27 PM
Simo

Actually as far as I was aware Win2K was the first to ditch DOS pretty much fully with NT its perdecessor doing an averagish job @ it. 2K is based on the NT Kernal.
In ME DOS was still well and truly alive as it was basically just Windows 98 3rd edition, however 2K runs a modifyed NT kernal and XP runs a modifyed 2K Kernal.
Basically DOS is dead with XP and 2K, you can still access access the command line with command.com from the RUN menu, but for all practical purposes DOS is dead.

R.I.P 1983-2001
Old 12-07-2001, 12:39 PM
SinnopS

And its a good thing thats its dead..we can finaly move away from a technolgie thats almost 20 years old...
Old 12-07-2001, 01:35 PM
Administrator

Send a message via ICQ to Omega Send a message via AIM to Omega Send a message via MSN to Omega Send a message via Yahoo to Omega

Well, I think a command prompt of some sort is good, for those times when Windows doesn't seem to work quite right, or has files protected that you can't delete, or some other errors.  The DOS system itself has been gone since ME, Win2k, etc...but they still have some sort of command prompt...not called DOS though.
Old 12-07-2001, 02:46 PM
SinnopS

its the 'command prompt' .....
Old 03-07-2002, 05:33 PM
Super Moderator

Send a message via ICQ to vee_ess Send a message via AIM to vee_ess Send a message via MSN to vee_ess Send a message via Yahoo to vee_ess

Everyone but keefe is wrong:

1. NT was the first MS OS to not use a DOS kernel, but it didn't kick DOS off the market.
2. ME did not really kick DOS off, you could still find it.
3. XP is the first to kick DOS off the market as it is the first home OS not on DOS kernel ( at least of MS OS's anyway).
Old 03-08-2002, 07:48 AM
Chef

%% bill should stick by xenix, so all this would never happen  

GG
Chef
Old 03-23-2002, 04:58 AM
thetechfreak

xp still uses parts of DOS.. when you boot up your computer before XP kicks in you still see the DOS screen whizzing by with a couple of dos commands - so its still there just not in as much detail you can still cripple xp with deleting command.com so until they dont use that at all anymore they haven't really got rid of it
Old 03-23-2002, 12:06 PM
Super Moderator

Send a message via ICQ to vee_ess Send a message via AIM to vee_ess Send a message via MSN to vee_ess Send a message via Yahoo to vee_ess

That screen your talking about is their OS loader. it is very similar to unix, and is not DOS, unix does and can look a lot like DOS.