Techware Labs Header

Forums have moved

See this announcement for more details, or just go directly there.

Old 06-18-2006, 03:04 PM
theThinker

Default Unusual CPU temps? I'm not sure...

Hey all!

Finished my last system build two days ago and I LOVE IT. Here's specs for reference (they're in my sig also):

DFI Lanparty UT NF4 Ultra-D
AMD X2 3800+ (cooled by aforementioned Arctic Cooling A64 Freezer Pro)
ATI Radeon X1900XT
Corsair XMS TWINX2048-C2PT
Maxtor Maxline III 250GB SATA Drive
Audigy 2 ZS
Antec NeoHE 500W PSU

Here's my dilemma: I installed the Freezer fan/heatsink easily enough. I noticed right away that the heat transfer plate doesn't cover the entire chip (odd...). Second thing I noticed is that the fan doesn't seem to be sucking the air from the heatsink, but rather blowing it through it. Anyways, I decided to check my temps after a quick round of CS:S and, to my surprise, it was in the 53C range. This pissed me off greatly. I let it sit for a while and watched it in SpeedFan, but it only dropped to 51C.

I have a heard a few things regarding this matter. I have heard that this temp is normal for dual-cores, which I simply cannot believe to be true. I have also heard that people have been getting better temps with their stock HS/F combo.

From here I have a few options: Install my old fan controller and crank that mother up, replace the current thermal compound with Artic Silver 5, slap my stock HS/F in, or buy a different cooling system.

My hope in buying this cooler was to get my CPU to a reasonable clock of 2.4-.5.

Anyone that has any experience with this cooler or any advice as to extra suggestions: they are greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

UPDATE:

After reinstalling the Freezer with AS5, it made no difference. I also installed the stock HSF, and still no difference. This leads me to believe that it may be my video card causing the heat, although the heat exhaust fan works very well in my opinion.

I have decided to buy a water cooling kit. The one I am looking at getting is the Swiftech H2O-120. [Link]

Would it be possible for me to get a hose junction and also cool my GPU, or is this kit not sufficient for cooling both?

Thanks again.
Old 06-19-2006, 04:39 AM
Platinium Techie

Send a message via AIM to Tyler Send a message via MSN to Tyler

53C seems normal for load. What's your idle temperature?
Old 06-19-2006, 05:35 PM
theThinker

Quote:
What's your idle temp?
51C...lol...
Old 06-25-2006, 11:19 PM
theThinker

Figured out the problem. Sandra was reporting my NorthBridge temp as my CPU temp. Weird.

I confirmed by looking through the BIOS. Also confirmed with SpeedFan while running Prime95.

Lolz.