Techware Labs Header

Forums have moved

See this announcement for more details, or just go directly there.

Old 12-10-2003, 08:37 PM
Kathus

Default Problems installing XP (SATA drive)

Recently I bought a new system (specs will be shown below). But im having problems installing my OS on it. The manufacturer sent the pc with the Os pre-installed (complete with ALL the garbage possible in the install program). Since the system was up and running before its pretty safe to say that all the wiring was done correctly and none of the components are bad. Well to get rid of all the junk that was installed on the pc i tried to reformat, through the installation program (out of a working copy of xp..now giving me a dual boot at startup) and it didnt find the hard drive. So i did a little research into SATA and found out you needed special utilities to format the drive, Downloaded those (from seagate) and got my drive formatted. Well now the real fun begins. I took the drivers off of the mobo cd and tried the pressing F6 during install... well it dosent take 3 of the drivers during the XP setup (dosent terminate setup this way just ends this part of it). Tried to boot off the hard drive next and i got the blue screen saying to check for viruses, uninstall/ reinstall drives/controllers and check the wiring. Since the wiring is good i tried installing XP again. Same probs rejecting those same 3 drivers. BUT it did know there was a setup of xp on the drive, Just wont boot out of bios to the setup. So far ive tried the board drivers on cd and their site (Link given below). Sorry for making this post so long but im trying to give everythign ive done step by step in hopes that someone can help me get xp up and running again on my machine.
System specs:
giga-byte ga-k8n pro n-forece3 mobo
seagate 120 gig ata 150 model # st3120026as
amd64 @ 3.2 gigHz
1gig pc 3200 ram (2x 512 meg)
soundblaster live 5.1 mp3+
ati radeon 6900 pro 256 meg
16x dvd
52x24x52 cd-rw
lucent v.92 modem
1.44 mitsumi floppy
Win XP home
blue neon light
ps2 keyboard
optical ps2 mouse

Motherboard drivers Site. (Downloaded the sata raid drivers)
http://www.giga-byte.com/Motherboard...-K8N%20Pro.htm

Seagate formatting program.
http://www.seagate.com/support/disc/...s/discwiz.html
(Downloaded and ran the starter edition to format)

Ive read through the boards on sata related problems like this and ive already tried everything mentioned there... and i cant seem to find the disk that should have been suplied to install a SATA drive with the mb.
Thanks in advance.
Old 12-10-2003, 09:19 PM
Lab Master Techie

Send a message via AIM to Jason425 Send a message via Yahoo to Jason425

nice "6900 pro"

I don't have an sata drive so i am not sure what your problem is. Since you've already read up on it if you can't get it figured out I suggest that you contact who you bought your pc from and ask them for help. I don't know if it's still under warranty if you reformat, it should be but some companies are stupid like that.
Dell Inspiron 1420 in Midnight Blue - Intel Core2Duo T7300 2.0GHZ/4MB - 2GB Ram - Nvidia 8400 GS 128mb - DVD/RW - 160GB 7200RPM - 14.1" Antiglare - Intel 4965AGN - Bluetooth 2.0 - 2MP Webcam - Vista Home Premium
2005 Mazda3i in Strato Blue
http://www.jasondsmith.net

Old 12-10-2003, 11:26 PM
Kathus

eheh.. typo on that vid card..
But ive called tech support..ran it over with em and so far it hasnt voided the warranty that they've said. But along with the backorder speakers they're sending the driver disk that should have been sent with the original system disks box. From all they've said the drivers are the exact same as the ones on the cd and on the download site.. but 3 refuse to copy.. ive opened the .sys that wont copy with ms word.. and clearly written is "this file cannot be copied from dos" correct me if im wrong.. but dosent XP setup use a form of dos? Only other info i can think of posting is the 3 files that refuse to be copied.
si3112r.sys
siwinacc.sys
si3112r.inf
Old 12-25-2003, 11:11 AM
Kathus

Ok after about 5 days of harassing the techsupport guys they finally gave me a new techie.. that actually knew what was goin on.. apparently oem versions of xp have a bug in them where they cant take certain s-ata hard drives. To fix that i just used my parents retail version of XP, hit f6 for the drivers and it installed perfectly without any problems.

For those that have a gigabyte ga-k8n pro motherboard you need to use the drivers for a raid configuration the si3112r drivers with your bios set to "raid function as base" if you only have one hard drive. Contrary to what the manual says about using the 3112 driver for only one hd.

Hope this helps some of the fellow sata users probs.
Old 12-25-2003, 04:21 PM
james

thanks for posting the follow up Kathus. To follow up on your follow up, most RAID cards can be forced to accept drives singularly if you just plug them in one at a time. It's a dirty little secret, but works on every setup i've tried it on. (many times you don't have to add them one at a time)
Old 12-27-2003, 12:39 PM
Kathus

Its not a raid setup on the hds :P. All this was done to get one S-ATA hd up and running with xp.
Old 04-19-2004, 05:14 PM
swade

Default Along the same lines...

I have been having the same issues with a Abit nf-7s chipset mobo. Trying to install Win XP on a seagate 120GB x 2 RAID 1 config. Pressed F6, installed the RAID drivers, formatted disk. Win XP setup kept crapping out after copying 1% of files. I saw your post here and thought it might be the setup disk I am using, although not OEM, is slipstreamed with SP1. It is not compatible!

Re-ran setup with the original XP disk, and everything is OK.