Techware Labs Header

Forums have moved

See this announcement for more details, or just go directly there.

Old 12-27-2004, 11:22 AM
Platinium Techie

i had a probelm similar to the ones you guys are listing, more a combination thereof. basically my IP had changed on my PC, with no physical changes to the network. none on the network had any access to the internet however. basically, all i did was. shutdown everything, starting with the PCs and working my way up: switches, router, modem. and then waited for about 15 mins and plugged it all back in in reverse order. modem, 2mins then router, 2 mins, then switches, 2 mins then PCs and laptops. now it works fine. its a wired network by the way.
Old 12-27-2004, 02:07 PM
simulaire

Default antivirus Q: any problems w/McAfee

Rebooting is effective but not particularly efficient if it happens much...hopefully, Dragon, you don't have a recurring problem and won't be forced to do further troubleshooting (I know it would bug me as to exactly what happened).

Q: Seems some don't mind NAV Corp ed, but I just switched to ZA Security Suite, which I believe uses McAfee's antivirus engine...are there any problems anyone's aware of with this solution? It seems faster and simpler than NAV's solution.

PS as an independent, all I need is to protect a peer-to-peer plus a server or two behind a home router...Corp software not an option, nor desired.
Old 12-27-2004, 03:16 PM
Super Moderator

Send a message via ICQ to vee_ess Send a message via AIM to vee_ess Send a message via MSN to vee_ess Send a message via Yahoo to vee_ess

Dragon, sometimes IP configurations can change if a certain system isn't powered on when others are. The reason is because one system stores all the information about a network and workgroups and keeps a table of what systems have what IPs. If that system isn't on when another boots up, the other system may set its own IP at the very initial IP of the set IP range. If you need to avoid this, disable DHCP and configure the IP of each system individually and manually. They will not change again, unless you change them.

Simulaire, make sure the router is a NAT (preferably with SPI). NAT is the single biggest security enhancement for the consumer market.
Old 12-29-2004, 01:07 AM
Administrator

Send a message via ICQ to Omega Send a message via AIM to Omega Send a message via MSN to Omega Send a message via Yahoo to Omega

Quote:
Originally Posted by vee_ess
make sure the router is a NAT
Have you ever seen a SOHO/retail router that /didn't/ use NAT (PAT, if you want to get more technical)?
Old 12-29-2004, 01:44 AM
Lab Master Techie

Send a message via AIM to Jason425 Send a message via Yahoo to Jason425

my old d-link 704 didn't.. but it just stopped working.. so there you go.. but point made.. all NEW routers will come with something like that...
Dell Inspiron 1420 in Midnight Blue - Intel Core2Duo T7300 2.0GHZ/4MB - 2GB Ram - Nvidia 8400 GS 128mb - DVD/RW - 160GB 7200RPM - 14.1" Antiglare - Intel 4965AGN - Bluetooth 2.0 - 2MP Webcam - Vista Home Premium
2005 Mazda3i in Strato Blue
http://www.jasondsmith.net

Old 12-31-2004, 03:56 PM
simulaire

Quote:
Simulaire, make sure the router is a NAT (preferably with SPI). NAT is the single biggest security enhancement for the consumer market.
Yes, of course the router has NAT (and SPI)...but that is only one level of protection, and not foolproof. You didn't mention:

- only run day-to-day as limited user when connected to (W)LAN
- don't share any folders except carefully designated ones w/permissions thoughtfully set
- good firewall
- good antivirus
- keep up on your patches
- try to avoid software with consistently major security problems (e.g., Firefox has worked quite well for me in place of IE)

I'm sure many of you out there have several more sophisticated approaches but for a small operator with no high-profile web presence, I've yet to have a security breach in 5 years of static ip broadband connection (knock on wood, it could happen anytime.)

Still asking 'though...any feedback on ZA Sec Suite antivirus?
Old 01-03-2005, 12:54 AM
Super Moderator

Send a message via ICQ to vee_ess Send a message via AIM to vee_ess Send a message via MSN to vee_ess Send a message via Yahoo to vee_ess

Avoid ZA Security Suite. They use Norton technology. McAfee and Panda do much better.
Old 01-03-2005, 11:25 AM
simulaire

Quote:
Avoid ZA Security Suite. They use Norton technology. McAfee and Panda do much better.
Quote:
Originally Posted by I
...which I believe uses McAfee's antivirus
Incorrect, both you and I! I bothered to track down the facts this time:

According to ZA's own site, they use Computer Associates Vet Antivirus technology.
Old 01-03-2005, 04:18 PM
Super Moderator

You're absolutely right. For some reason I was thinking CA owned Symantec rather than Innoculate IT. damn....
Old 02-04-2005, 05:39 PM
ahiemstra

The solution might be very simple (as on my PC): Go to services and look for the DHCP service. Some applications might disable this service. I suspect NetSwitcher II might do this for example.

Regards, Arjen.