Techware Labs Header

Forums have moved

See this announcement for more details, or just go directly there.

Old 03-09-2005, 06:27 PM
jakethemuffin

Default tracing screen names and IP adresses

this person whose AIM screen names are yourmom10056 and blueberry1061 have been harrasing me on IM, making weird comments and stuff. i have no idea who this person is, but this person knows my name (even though i never had it on my profile). he said his name was 'andy'... i looked at his profile and it was one of those Palfun.com profiles... (www.palfun.com : basically an upgrade of a normal profile) it had a subprofile, i don't know what website it was from but the username was who (who's buddyprofile). and it was viewed more than 300,000 times i think.... and that person have been warned really a lot of times so i guess he's been doing that to a lot of other people too. i really need to figure out who it is... is there anyway i can trace this screen name? (yourmom10056, blueberry1061 ---> by the way he hasnt been getting on too often now, but once hes online he stays on for quite a while)
I NEED THIS SCREEN NAME TO BE TRACED AS SOON AS POSSIBLE!! can anyone help?? or if you know who it is, tell me.

i attempted tracing the screen name myself , and did a little research about IP adresses and downloaded this software called active whois from http://johnru.com/active-whois . just to test the software, i entered my own IP adress but it didn't show who i am, where i'm living at, all that basic stuff. it showed the adress of the internet company that my computer's connected to (road runner i think). i thought tracking IP adresses show who someone is+ and where they live. does anyone know how to trace IP adresses ? (getting the real adress )

i really need this to be done... if anyone in this forum can help, i'd GREATLY appreciate!! this is kind of an emergency.. please don't just skip this . if you know ANYTHING, leave a comment or IM me on IHATESJP. thanks. =) [/b]
Old 03-09-2005, 08:57 PM
Super Moderator

Send a message via ICQ to vee_ess Send a message via AIM to vee_ess Send a message via MSN to vee_ess Send a message via Yahoo to vee_ess

IP whois searches usually return information about the ISP, but if you can prove you've been harassed, you still have recourse. You can take it to court to subpoena the records of who was on at the time using that particular IP. You can then take the individual to court for harassment.
Old 03-10-2005, 07:21 AM
Chronique Technique
Lab Master Techie

Send a message via AIM to Prometheus

there IS a block button.......
Old 03-10-2005, 06:00 PM
jakethemuffin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prometheus
there IS a block button.......
^ well i know that and i've already blocked this person. what i want to figure out is WHO this person is since i'm pretty sure this person knows me.
Old 03-10-2005, 06:13 PM
Chronique Technique
Lab Master Techie

Send a message via AIM to Prometheus

I was prank called tonight by someone pretending to be sweedish....

I just turned on my cell's speakerphone and listened...and LAUGHED...it was just sad.....just ignore these idiots..isnt worth the trouble...
Old 03-10-2005, 06:14 PM
jakethemuffin

Quote:
Originally Posted by vee_ess
IP whois searches usually return information about the ISP, but if you can prove you've been harassed, you still have recourse. You can take it to court to subpoena the records of who was on at the time using that particular IP. You can then take the individual to court for harassment.
^thanks for the explanation. =) but i cant take them to the court and all that stuff since i dont have a copy of the conversation... and i really dont wanna go through all the court processes. that'll just make the problem more complicated.
and one question..you wrote "IP whois searches usually return information about the ISP" can you explain that part? ISP ,etc...thank you=) .
Old 03-11-2005, 11:33 AM
Super Moderator

Send a message via ICQ to vee_ess Send a message via AIM to vee_ess Send a message via MSN to vee_ess Send a message via Yahoo to vee_ess

An ISP is an Internet Service Provider. When you are connected to them, you connect to the internet through one of their gateways. When you do a whois search to find out the personal information of a person, you will not find their personal information. What you will receive, in most cases, will be the name of the ISP, the Name Servers, the address of the ISP or the gateway, and contact information for the ISP. ISPs don't give out the personal information of their clients without good reason; they give their own out instead.
Old 03-12-2005, 04:57 PM
james

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prometheus
I was prank called tonight by someone pretending to be sweedish....

I just turned on my cell's speakerphone and listened...and LAUGHED...it was just sad.....just ignore these idiots..isnt worth the trouble...
while this may often be the case, (and not to freak anyone out) but harrassing behavior can lead to more troublesome things, and it is good to try to document them if you have the chance.
Old 07-04-2007, 01:39 AM
Junior Techie

Send a message via AIM to GP40MC 1116

Now I am new to this site but I had a related question. My current girlfriend dated this kid before me who in simple terms treated her horribly and just used her for one thing. I despise that and it makes me so angry to the point what he has done to her. Lets just say he knows I don't like him and it's not good.
I am trying to find a way to dig up more info on this kid. This comming Sept I go off to a college in Southwestern NH as a transfer student and my g/f is back at her college in NH's Capital City of Concord just lovley that it's the same town as he is. I trust my g/f very much, but this kid is the one I don't trust. The big issue with him is simply that he threatened my girlfriend by saying he would kill himself unless my girlfriend did not quit smoking. Needless to say that didn't settle well with me.

As far as "Tracking" him more I have tried to do what I can. I made a dummy myspace profile and tried to get onto his as a friend, yet I don't know his last name. I did find his screen name recently but the question goes out to all you guys and girls. If I have that can I do anything to find more info or to track his IP address and get any sort of info on him.

Many Thanks, I know it's a lot for my 1st post but the help is much apprecaited!
http://www.flickr.com/photos/negsfire424/
Old 07-06-2007, 11:09 AM
Golden Techie

Send a message via AIM to Napster
Wink

Be careful my friend, you may end up getting yourself into trouble (aka. harassment, stalking) this guy. He isn't worth it. Let me explain.

Suppose you did hack his machine, access it remotely. Wipe his drive. etc. etc. What good would you have accomplished? He still is messed up in the brain. Be a man and go face him in real life. Digital aliases are a joke.

If she is a good girlfriend, she won't listen to him for one second. Just stay in touch with your gf and tell her not to talk to him. Vice Versa.

You may think I'm crazy, but try becoming his friend. Then you can talk to him and help him with the REAL problem which lies inside of him.

and pray.

Last edited by Napster : 07-06-2007 at 11:13 AM.