Techware Labs Header

Forums have moved

See this announcement for more details, or just go directly there.

Old 10-23-2001, 11:32 AM
Propig

Default Windows 2000/Office 2000/ Access 2000

Okay, If anybody can help with this I will be really impressed. We are in the process of converting from Windows NT, Office 2000, Access 97 to Windows 2000, Office 2000, Access 2000. One of the issues we have run into during testing is this: We use a variety of file extensions (.ext, .lst, .txt, .csv, and on) for text files that are imported and exported through different systems for different purposes. (Each one tells what process to take). This has always worked fine until we started converting to they new system, and Access 2000. We get an error that says "Cannot update. Database or object is read-only" when we try to import this file. If we change the file extension to a .txt it works fine. Has anybody seen this before? Have any ideas?
Old 10-29-2001, 10:26 AM
Propig

Default Re: Windows 2000/Office 2000/ Access 2000

Just so everyone knows... I found the answer. We updated the registry in Windows 2000 to include the "odd" file extensions as standard.

Here are the instructions

Change to the Windows registry:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Jet\4.0\Engines\Text\DisabledExtensi
on

Double Click the DisabledExtensions file and a popup window will appear.  In following if the existing strings format add the file extension string you want to use for your export             routine.

Example:  This is the default string , !txt,csv,tab,asc,htm,html.  If you add additional extension strings to this it would look like this:  !txt,csv,tab,asc,htm,html,dat,out,ok

You must have administrative rights to perform this change.
Old 10-30-2001, 12:55 PM
Golden Techie

Send a message via Yahoo to wizbones

Nothing like posting your question and then answering it too  

Propig you're shinning  ;D Keep at it girl
The Maximum Effective Range of an Excuse is Zero point Zero Meters!
Old 10-30-2001, 04:07 PM
Propig

I may not be shining for long. I have been told that if I make this change, I WILL become a "Martyr".

Translation - I will be fired in order to be set as an example to the rest of the company, bla, bla, bla.....

So I will find another way.............
Old 10-31-2001, 04:39 AM
Simo

Why would your company fire you for changing a registery entry?
Old 10-31-2001, 10:32 AM
Propig

They say that allowing the "odd" file extensions will allow viruses to get in.

We have a crappy IT department and we got hit really hard with the last two that came thru. We lost two whole servers and were down for several days. (when you bill several million/week this is NOT good)

When the warnings came out about the viruses nobody took precautionary measures.

I have a feeling there are a few roasted butts around hear. And you can feel and see the smoldering coals on the fire!
Old 10-31-2001, 04:06 PM
Simo

Ouch thats gotta hurt.
And Im supposing that you use Win2K server, complete with security holes?  
Old 11-01-2001, 01:01 PM
Propig

I know we have many servers. I don't know what kind they are - I don't work in the IT department, so I am not privy to such information. I am not too worried about it because at the end of the school year I am planning on moving to another state. There is way too much politics going on here and I can't deal with it. (I don't kiss anybody's butt unless it's for fun).

Get this one. We had our annual "Halloween" party yesterday. Usually a really big blast with beer, costumes and prizes. This year we had to stand for 3 hours listening to speeches given by United Way charities. I found out that our new head honcho is on the board of directors of United Way. It was "stronly recommended" that we participate. And in the coming weeks we will be going to a 30 min meeting that explains about how payroll deductions can help contribute.

I do a lot of charity work, but I will not be forced into supporting any organization.

I did win 4 tickets to one of the Panthers games though. Two bucks on a dart game!
Old 11-06-2001, 01:09 PM
Golden Techie

Send a message via Yahoo to wizbones

Most large companies IT departments are staffed with yeywho's who only got the job because they were "promoted" into it because they knew how to change the desktop resolution and impressed a Luser into thinking they actually know what they are doing.

Nothing is more frightning than when you're on a tech call and you get fed up with the ingnoramous on the other end and ask for the Admin of their IT department and they say the infamous "Well, I am the Administrator"

DoH that just get's me.

All you can do is pass on the info you found out and let them decide what to do with it. If they chose not to fix it then it stays broken. What else can you do?

So where you looking at moving to? IT is not a great place to be these days with all the layoffs out there. Gonna be tough going for a while yet I think. Good luck either way though. Seems to me like you're heading in the right direction.
The Maximum Effective Range of an Excuse is Zero point Zero Meters!
Old 11-06-2001, 02:21 PM
Administrator

Send a message via ICQ to Keefe Send a message via AIM to Keefe Send a message via MSN to Keefe Send a message via Yahoo to Keefe

god...i think those calls are great.

People call up because they reformatted a computer and they do not know how to set-up a dial-up connection...and then they state that they are the network administrator!  I only have two questions...
1.  How the heck did they get that job!!!
2.  Why the heck can't I get a network admin job!!!