Techware Labs Header

Forums have moved

See this announcement for more details, or just go directly there.

Old 06-05-2001, 10:45 PM
Creed182

Default Linux Newbie

Alright I've never used this os but I want to give it a try.  What's the best version to use to test it out and whats it like?  Thanks!
Old 06-06-2001, 12:45 AM
Hulaboy

Default Re: Linux Newbie

Well, I can tell you that it gets pretty frustrating at times.  If you don't have any previous UNIX background I can tell you that there will be a pretty high learning curve.  However, once that's done and over with it gets pretty good.  Right now, I am using Linux-Mandrake 8.0. This current distro is pretty good from what I've seen so far. During installation it detected all of my hardware.  I had a problem with previous versions detecting some of my hardware which has made me kind of leary in delving into the OS. However, it's going well now.

As far as what is the best distro to test out is concerned, I would have to say that is a matter of preference. I think Mandrake has one of the most user friendly installations though. According to US Linux market figures, Mandrake has 33.8% of the market, Redhat has 30.7%, Suse has 23.8%, FreeBSD has 5.6%, Caldera has 2.5%, and so on and so on...I guess the best thing about these OSes is that they're all generally free.  Mandrake also has a Lnx4Win option to where you can load Linux in a Windows partition and not have to deal with the usual pain of going through partitioning a hard drive. If you don't like it then just delete the folder in the Windows directory. Info on that is at http://www.linux-mandrake.com/en/lnx4win.php3
Old 06-06-2001, 11:20 PM
Crystal_Helix

I'm kind of new to this as well, but I'd tried some different flavors of Linux.

First off, I have to say... once you use it, you never go back to Windows. I keep a Win machine around for games and... games. That's it.

Redhat: Pretty k00l, but it's got security holes a mile wide. It's super easy to use, install & upgrade though (with some quirks. You can't upgrade RPM, and that'll limit some of the packets you can install). If you choose Redhat (and I'd even recommend it, for a first time user) then spend a few days researching plugging those holes.

Slackware: Personal favorite. It's NOT as easy as Redhat, but it's very, very easy to modify and it's holes are not nearly so numerous, large or difficult to plug. Default install is pretty secure. I did have a problem with X 'n Slack, but I'm pretty sure that was my comp, not the OS.

Your own kernal: Very cool. You can compile your own linux kernal... you won't have all the little programs a distro will give you, but you'll be pretty secure. You'll also learn about how the OS is constructed, the dependancies, etc, etc. You can get instructions at www.linuxfromscratch.org I think the address is.

Helix
Old 06-15-2001, 02:21 AM
Henkules

I advise you to use Red Hat it isn't that secure but it is a good distribution to learn from. And when you have that running and working fine and you are feeling that you know it very well then start with slackware or free Bsd.

And search for good how to's you can learn alot from it.
Old 06-15-2001, 01:31 PM
Administrator

Send a message via ICQ to Keefe Send a message via AIM to Keefe Send a message via MSN to Keefe Send a message via Yahoo to Keefe

I second that, and Redhat is only not secure because it installs tons of options with it.  If you go on and close it up it is just as secure as any other distribution.
Old 07-09-2001, 07:28 PM
wolford

OK, boys and girls. The old man's got a problem I hope you can help with? I was trying to load a fresh install of Redhat on a freshly partitioned HDD (first time to try a dualboot). I'm getting the advisory that my Seagate has 1027 cylinders, and blah-blah-blah. I've seen a workaround on a board or tutorial somewhere but I can't find it now. Can anyone point me in the right direction?
Old 07-14-2001, 03:40 PM
wolford

Well, I got RH loaded. Seems that the HDD I have has an LBA archetecture(?), so I had to tick the "Linear" setting during install so that it would mount right. LILO works perfectly well. I'm still getting the configurations in so I'm still having to use my win partition pretty often. It is nice to be able to see all the files in the HDD though, DOS or etc2.
~laTOR~
Old 08-13-2001, 10:14 AM
DaFr0zT

I just have some few questions because im seriusly thinkin of swichtin over to Linux.. I am runing Windows ME right now, but i am so tires of all that shit with it...

But... Is it at all posible to play games i Linux? (Yeah just laugh, but i am a totally nubi with Linux, do not know anythin, thats why i am askin) But is i posible? Cuzz i am quite a gamer

And then i want to know how userfreindly Red Hat or Mandrake is when thinkin of that i only know Windows and DOS as OS´es... I have newe tried Linux or Unix......

-----------------------------------------------------
If there is any kind person out there.. then answer my questions please
-----------------------------------------------------
-=DaFr0zT Out=-
Old 08-14-2001, 01:58 PM
SinnopS

well, as of right now, you still may need windows for some stuff. however, many games now do have linux ports so you can play them like that. there are also windows emulators so you can actualy use widows programs

if you are a noobe, then mandrake is probably the best to go for since most everthing is set up automaticaly. and x-windows is very cool.

but as a gamer...linux still has its limits. try using windows 2000. its far superior to ME
Old 08-15-2001, 12:04 PM
Niels

If you wanna play games AND use Linux, why dont you set up both?
I am a newbie to with Linux, so it is a safe way to play around with Linux, to get to know it, and also being able to get back to windows if you want.

Niels.