Techware Labs Header

Forums have moved

See this announcement for more details, or just go directly there.

Old 11-29-2001, 08:38 PM
Digital_Vixen

Default XP pro's and cons

What does everyone think of Windows XP in general (be it home or office)? Any Pro's or Con's about it?
Old 11-29-2001, 10:35 PM
Administrator

Send a message via ICQ to Omega Send a message via AIM to Omega Send a message via MSN to Omega Send a message via Yahoo to Omega
Default Re: XP pro's and cons

I like XP Pro overall.  Unfortunately, the bad driver support for my old graphics card (3dfx Voodoo 5 5500 AGP) makes gaming infeasable.  I like the majority of the new features implimented.  The stability and basic driver support is quite good in XP.  Whether to upgrade from Win2k or not is debatable, but I'd definately recommend it from 98 or ME.
Old 11-29-2001, 11:18 PM
kfan

I like XP Pro as well.  It has been very stable for me and the only real problem I had was with CD Creator and I had to upgrade it to work with XP.  It seems that networking is stronger in Pro and if you are hooked up to a LAN Pro is much better.  
Hey Omega, I'm not a heavy game player but the drivers on on this site VooDoofiles.com work well with my VooDoo 5.
Old 11-30-2001, 12:18 AM
Administrator

Send a message via ICQ to Omega Send a message via AIM to Omega Send a message via MSN to Omega Send a message via Yahoo to Omega

Well, at risk of getting way off topic, I'll reply to the last post anyway.

I actually have the latest driver from VoodooFiles, and despite the problems with the installer (yes, I know a new patch just came out for the installer) I got it installed.  I was able to get perfromance within 2 fps of Windows 2000, but whenever I quit the the game (Quake 3) I would get freezes, as well as other lockups due to the drivers.  The (3rd party) drivers are quite buggy, but for performance they're the best ones out, IMO.