Techware Labs Header

Forums have moved

See this announcement for more details, or just go directly there.

Old 09-05-2008, 01:54 PM
Junior Techie

Default Right On!!!!

I got that

C:\Windows\System32>ipconfig /all

Windows IP Configuration

An internal error occurred: The request is not supported.

Please contact Microsoft Product Support Services for further help.

Additional information: Unable to query host name.

I could not work it out after several days, and replacing the NIC so I formatted the system 30 days ago.

All was well until it happened again!!!!

I Was VERY Hesitant to delete anything from my System32\Drivers folder, but after reboot - It worked just fine -

Beets the heck out of formatting again.

A Million Thanks

Old 09-08-2008, 12:52 AM
Junior Techie

Default IPCONFIG returns Windows IP Configuration and nothing else

I am having the same issue as Bonanzaman....when I run the ipconfig command, all I get back is a single line : Windows IP Configuration, no DNS or IP info at all.

netsh int ip show ipaddress lists a single "Loopback" interface.

route print consistently shows Loopback interface and a single route to 127.0.0.0 network.

pinging 127.0.0.1 works fine.

Tried all resets, uninstalls, reinstalls. Nothing helps.

There is one workaround I was able to find. Go to a Safe Mode, uninstall any Network Adapter, reboot into Normal Mode and everything is dandy until the next reboot.

The problem started manifesting itself about a year ago.

System details:
-- IBM ThinkPad Z60t
-- Windows XP Pro SP3
Old 09-08-2008, 11:15 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by vmikhelson View Post
I am having the same issue as Bonanzaman....when I run the ipconfig command, all I get back is a single line : Windows IP Configuration, no DNS or IP info at all.

netsh int ip show ipaddress lists a single "Loopback" interface.

route print consistently shows Loopback interface and a single route to 127.0.0.0 network.

pinging 127.0.0.1 works fine.

Tried all resets, uninstalls, reinstalls. Nothing helps.

There is one workaround I was able to find. Go to a Safe Mode, uninstall any Network Adapter, reboot into Normal Mode and everything is dandy until the next reboot.

The problem started manifesting itself about a year ago.

System details:
-- IBM ThinkPad Z60t
-- Windows XP Pro SP3
When you say you tried reinstalling, did you go to IBM's site and download the newest ethernet drivers for your laptop? The other option is that there could be something malicious lurking in your machine. Have you tried a virus scan lately?
Old 09-08-2008, 12:59 PM
Junior Techie

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWickerMan View Post
When you say you tried reinstalling, did you go to IBM's site and download the newest ethernet drivers for your laptop? The other option is that there could be something malicious lurking in your machine. Have you tried a virus scan lately?
Sure I did. All latest and greatest from Lenovo/IBM is applied. Antivirus runs from the moment machine was first configured. I did analyze all processes running and did not find anything suspicious. I did run a couple of anti-rootkit scanners, and did not fetch anything either.
Old 09-10-2008, 02:03 PM
Administrator

You may want to try a repair install if you haven't already or try copying over the tcpip.sys from another working machine running XP, if not you may be looking at reformatting time. You should also make sure that all the appropriate services for networking are running (DHCP client, DNS client etc...).
Old 09-10-2008, 03:06 PM
Junior Techie

Quote:
You may want to try a repair install if you haven't already or try copying over the tcpip.sys from another working machine running XP, if not you may be looking at reformatting time. You should also make sure that all the appropriate services for networking are running (DHCP client, DNS client etc...).
It looks more like a registry problem to me otherwise it is hard to explain why would it work after a first boot with uninstalled NIC. All my previous attempts to run a repair install in Windows never produced any positive results if the problem was in registry. I can probably try, usually it does not cause a big trouble, although sometimes it does.

TCPIP.SYS was verified to be identical to the same from a healthy machine.

All services are running with no glitches.

Windows reinstallation is always a cure but not inexpensive.
Old 09-10-2008, 09:27 PM
Administrator

What anti-virus are you running? I've seen some of the anti-virus/firewall combos cause havoc with network connections.
Old 09-10-2008, 11:30 PM
Junior Techie

Quote:
What anti-virus are you running? I've seen some of the anti-virus/firewall combos cause havoc with network connections.
Both "affected" and "healthy" machines use Avira AntiVir Personal from day one.

Both used to use ZoneAlarm Pro. ZA is still being used on the "healthy" one, it was uninstalled from the "affected" machine in the course of troubleshooting the "empty ipconfig" problem. Now it uses Windows Firewall.
Old 09-11-2008, 02:28 PM
Administrator

Hmmm........
The fact that it works in safe mode with networking makes me think that there's some program that's causing it to not run properly. Microsoft has a nice utility called autoruns (http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/s.../bb963902.aspx) that lets you view all the things that startup when windows starts. You may want to go through all of those and start filing them down and see if you can find the culprit.
Old 09-11-2008, 06:18 PM
Junior Techie

Quote:
Hmmm........
The fact that it works in safe mode with networking makes me think that there's some program that's causing it to not run properly. Microsoft has a nice utility called autoruns (http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/s.../bb963902.aspx) that lets you view all the things that startup when windows starts. You may want to go through all of those and start filing them down and see if you can find the culprit.
Sorry for misunderstanding.

Safe Mode is used in my workaround for a single purpose of uninstalling a NIC in Device Manager. It cannot be done in Normal Mode in 98% of cases. Device Manager hangs... Which makes me think again that it is a Registry issue. Corruption, permissions, etc.

After a NIC has been uninstalled and the laptop is booted normally networking functions as it should until the next reboot. Then all fails miserably again.

Last edited by vmikhelson : 09-13-2008 at 11:41 PM.