Techware Labs Header

Forums have moved

See this announcement for more details, or just go directly there.

Old 08-20-2001, 05:41 AM
awrobinsonii

Default REGENV32 HAS CAUSED AN ERROR

Recently I have been getting "REGENV32 has caused an error" when trying to shut down WinME, any advice on how to fix this or should I just run setup again to possibly fix it?
Old 08-22-2001, 12:23 AM
Hulaboy

Default Re: REGENV32 HAS CAUSED AN ERROR

I saw these articles on Microsoft's Knowledge Base to help out explain what REGENV32.exe does...

Article 1
Article 2

Article 1 does a pretty good job of explaining what it does and Article 2 offers a solution of what to do.  Does this sound like something you've done recently?  Hope it helps out.
Old 10-12-2001, 04:15 PM
guru

[quote author=rainart link=board=windows&num=998307666&start=0#0 date=08/20/01 at 05:41:06]

Recently I have been getting "REGENV32 has caused an error" when trying to shut down WinME, any advice on how to fix this or should I just run setup again to possibly fix it?
[/quote]
Old 11-29-2001, 11:36 AM
joyrider4

???
Microsoft recommends trying the scanreg /restore command:
No this doesn't work. The error that causes the regenv32 message seems to be connected to the entire System Restore process as well (which is exactly what the scanreg /restore command from the run line attempts to access). This is Microsoft's stance on this, but it doesn't work because of what I've described. I have re-installed WinME 5 times now... The only credible information I've found concerning this issue states that the problem is due to previous versions of WinME files being left on your PC. This doesn't make sense either though, as I have completly F-disked and formatted my machine each time before re-installing. Am about to say &%#@ it and install Win2K, cannot go back to unstable Win98 and realize Linux doesn't support all the programs I need to use yet...but when it does; Later Microsoft.  
Old 12-31-2001, 08:15 AM
Lectrr

I have the same problem.

5 times formatted and reinstalled. Twice F-disk, and i still get the same problem. I am really thinking about ripping out my HD and installing a new one...would it help?

I am so sick of this problem.
Old 12-31-2001, 12:12 PM
Administrator

Send a message via ICQ to Keefe Send a message via AIM to Keefe Send a message via MSN to Keefe Send a message via Yahoo to Keefe

I know a very easy and quit smart solution to this problem.

Don't use Windows ME!!

Use windows 98, 2000, or even XP instead of ME.

Old 12-31-2001, 03:02 PM
Hulaboy

Man, I can't tell you how many problems I've encountered with Windows ME.  Just uttering the words "WinME" at work is enough to send shivers down our spine!  It's one of the reasons why I haven't installed that on any of my systems here.
Old 08-29-2002, 12:07 PM
WinKill

Default regenv32

Have you tried a DEBUG?

boot to clean bootable floppy

at a:\> DEBUG

on left is what you get, on right is what you type

- F 200 L1000 0
- A CS:100
****:0100 MOV AX,301
****:0103 MOV BX,200
****:0106 MOV CX,1
****:0109 MOV DX,80 (80 for 1st HDD, 81 for 2nd)
****:010C INT 13
****:010E INT 20
****:0110 (just press ENTER)
- G

PROGRAM TERMINATED NORMALLY

you just wrote 0s to the boot sector. any viral matter hangin'
out there is gone.

pull the power cord, and then hold the PWR button for 10 seconds
(you are clearing the power to your memory).

reboot and FDISK as normal
Old 08-29-2002, 02:22 PM
accurateimage

Default :)

I used ME for the better of 2 years with no real major problems, sounds like you have a drive going bad to me, I just got done fixing a computer that an IT guy said was scrap after ligtning struck close, turned out what was damaged was selective, very very odd, cooked one stock of 256 pc100 and also damaged the hard drive, so every time you loaded it all up and started to run me or w2k it would work for about 2 minutes and then go blue screen, forget what the error message was but yours seems familiar. took the bad ram out and the bad drive after looking for a few hours and testing and the thing runs good as new most weirdest thing I have come accross, I thought if it got juced from lightning it was dead, guess I was wrong!
Old 09-01-2002, 06:11 PM
BobyJo

I agree with Keefe, I use W2kSp3 and really like it.
No problems at all.
I also own WinME, still have the chrome disk it comes on. Would give it to someone that wants it.
I have already given away Win3.1.1, Win95, still have W98, W98se,WinME,W2kpro. Never purchased WinXP. Don't really know if I ever will.
Been thinking a lot about a version of Linux that would recognize all the hareware I have and run most of the software I have also.
Maybe this will never happen, Just don't know.