Techware Labs Header

Forums have moved

See this announcement for more details, or just go directly there.

Old 01-26-2004, 07:25 AM
djrobinn

Default Windows XP IPConfig Error Message

I'm getting this error message folks:

"C:\Documents and Settings\All Users>ipconfig

Windows IP Configuration

An internal error occurred: A device attached to the system is not functioning.

Please contact Microsoft Product Support Services for further help.

Additional information: Unknown media status code.

C:\Documents and Settings\All Users>

Please advise what to do. Owing to this, I could connect using a dial-up connection but was not able to browse any sites, then I thought maybe the dial up is messed up, so I bought hi-speed cable internet, same problem, wouldn't connect. Then I popped the Windows XP Pro CD in the drive and tried a "Repair Install" so that it could replace any missing or corrupt files, still no luck. I had to then nuke the PC, format the HDD with NTFS, and then install XP over it, now finally the internet is working however, I still get the same error message when I type ipconfig on the dos prompt...its driving me nuts!!

Any ideas?!?!

Thanx!
Robin
Old 04-26-2004, 10:06 PM
mobyplay2001

Default IP config error wont let me get on the internet

Alright, guys I need some help, I tried the "technicians" at dsl yahoo. but they are good for nothing...
when I go to configure the IP...this error appears:
AN ERROR OCCURRED WHILE RENEWING INTERFACE LOCAL AREA CONNECTION: AN OPERATION WAS ATTEMPTED ON SOMETHING THAT IS NOT A SOCKET.
According to the geniuses at yahoo, my IP address is not the one it should be...
All these problems appeared after i had a massive attack frem virtual bouncer, annd a whole bunch of pop ups....is it possible that that virus changed my IP address??? what the hell is going on???
your help guys is greatly appreciated!!!!
Old 04-26-2004, 11:53 PM
Lab Master Techie

Send a message via AIM to Jason425 Send a message via Yahoo to Jason425

well go to housecall and scan for viruses (google housecall)

then go to your network connections thing under control panel and go to tcpip properties and make sure the IP is set as it should be..

that's all I can do to help you with my limited networking knowledge
Dell Inspiron 1420 in Midnight Blue - Intel Core2Duo T7300 2.0GHZ/4MB - 2GB Ram - Nvidia 8400 GS 128mb - DVD/RW - 160GB 7200RPM - 14.1" Antiglare - Intel 4965AGN - Bluetooth 2.0 - 2MP Webcam - Vista Home Premium
2005 Mazda3i in Strato Blue
http://www.jasondsmith.net

Old 05-10-2004, 11:21 AM
jackdaniels

Default sasser

I believe this is related to the sasser virus. I was connect to the work and recieved a message that my machine was infected. They then promptly shutdown my PC. Since then I have been unable to access the internet at all. My limited knowledge was to try and renew/release the IP info but I get the error message in this thread.

Would love to hear anyones suggestions.

Old 05-11-2004, 12:29 PM
cherrypie

google housecall?
Old 05-11-2004, 08:14 PM
Lab Master Techie

Send a message via AIM to Jason425 Send a message via Yahoo to Jason425

I was telling him to type housecall in google if he wanted to find it.. http://housecall.trendmicro.com/
Dell Inspiron 1420 in Midnight Blue - Intel Core2Duo T7300 2.0GHZ/4MB - 2GB Ram - Nvidia 8400 GS 128mb - DVD/RW - 160GB 7200RPM - 14.1" Antiglare - Intel 4965AGN - Bluetooth 2.0 - 2MP Webcam - Vista Home Premium
2005 Mazda3i in Strato Blue
http://www.jasondsmith.net

Old 05-27-2004, 04:37 PM
ybeddyj

@mobyplay2001

AN ERROR OCCURRED WHILE RENEWING INTERFACE LOCAL AREA CONNECTION: AN OPERATION WAS ATTEMPTED ON SOMETHING THAT IS NOT A SOCKET

This is usually as a result of some programs messing with your tcp/ip protocol stack an easy fix for this usually be to reset yoour tcp/ip stack easiest way do do this is to start up google(*on another pc*) search for "lsp fix" you should find a lot of programs that'll help you there. i personally prefer WINSOCKFIX from option explicit it'll get the job done the quickest plus it also come with another very handy tool
Old 05-27-2004, 04:39 PM
ybeddyj

btw if you had any manually set tcp/ip settings then you'll have to do them over if u use winsockfix
Old 05-29-2004, 01:21 PM
100thMonkey

well here is a variation on the same issue, what do people think?
a) when I tried to run ipconfig from the DOS prompt, I got "ipconfig is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file"

b) when I tried to run ipconfig from the Run menu, I would get an error message telling me that ipconfig is not a recognized and that Windows could look online for the right program or I could select from a list

Well, I fixed a) by going to Computer -> Properties -> Advanced -> Environment variables and replacing the PATH command (that somehow had been repplaced leading a folder for my Treo?) with C:\Windows;C:\Windows\System32, my ipconfig/all at the DOS prompt works, thought it still doesn't from the RUN menu.

now that a) has been addressed, do people have any thoughts about b)?
Old 05-30-2004, 12:56 PM
gas_nebula

Default unable to renew IP address in XP

I've been having similar problems.
Tried the netsh to reset TCP/IP ... no luck.

Came upon some other information that looks promising. Other forums have reports of, with XP, recent TCP/IP and WINSOCK stack corruption. This appears to either be caused by spyware or simply the fact that since TCP/IP is now deemed a critical 'core' networking component of XP, its a little more fragile than in previous Win O/S versions.

Following are a couple of tools to try ... one to repair the TCP/IP stack, the other for WINSOCK. I have not tried these yet ... but I intend too soon. These tools have apparently aided others in getting this %$&@ problem solved.

TCP/IP - http://www.cexx.org/lspfix.htm
WINSOCK - http://tntmax.com/Download/Software/WinsockXPFix.exe

Best of luck.