Techware Labs Header

Forums have moved

See this announcement for more details, or just go directly there.

Go Back   Techwarelabs Community > Tech > Operating Systems

Old 12-01-2005, 08:36 AM
Junior Techie

Default Does iexpress limit the number of files in a package?

I'm trying to package a few hundred files into a package, but when I select them all (to add) it ignores my request. If I add less, it works.

Does anyone know of a restruction with this part of the tool?

Thanks
Old 12-01-2005, 11:58 AM
Techie

Send a message via MSN to smartkid

why dont you put 50 in one package and 50 in anuther, then put boath of those packages in a single package?
Old 12-02-2005, 05:00 AM
Junior Techie

Quote:
Originally Posted by smartkid
why dont you put 50 in one package and 50 in anuther, then put boath of those packages in a single package?
That is a thought, although cumbersome it could be a solution.

However, I rather under estimated the number of files: 1,449.

I will look at ZIPping them, converting to EXE, then extrating that.

I presume all this means there is a limit!
Old 12-05-2005, 12:48 PM
Super Moderator

Send a message via ICQ to vee_ess Send a message via AIM to vee_ess Send a message via MSN to vee_ess Send a message via Yahoo to vee_ess

I believe that you can use more than 50 files, but that you have to define that in the .inf file in the DestinationDirs section. I would suggest trying different values for that.
Old 12-06-2005, 03:22 AM
Junior Techie

Quote:
Originally Posted by vee_ess
I believe that you can use more than 50 files, but that you have to define that in the .inf file in the DestinationDirs section. I would suggest trying different values for that.
Thanks - but I am making EXE so not so simple, do0h!
Old 12-11-2005, 08:31 PM
Super Moderator

Send a message via ICQ to vee_ess Send a message via AIM to vee_ess Send a message via MSN to vee_ess Send a message via Yahoo to vee_ess

To make an executable with IExpress, you have to have an inf file, but it usually just makes a default one for you. If you use a custom one you can get around the limitation.
Old 12-12-2005, 03:32 AM
Junior Techie

Quote:
To make an executable with IExpress, you have to have an inf file, but it usually just makes a default one for you. If you use a custom one you can get around the limitation.
Are you sure there is an INF ? There's only a SED (my source) and the EXE hanging about.
Old 12-16-2005, 07:01 PM
Super Moderator

The inf file used is for post install commands. I forgot that you are having trouble with just inserting the files. I don't seem to be having trouble with long lists of files (it's worked for me for 145 files in a test run just now). The only thing I can think of is that your copy may somehow be corrupted. Here's a zipped copy of IExpress. You might want to consider also using IExpress just to make a cabinet file of all your files (the ActiveX option). It will be an even smaller file than a self-extracting file, but will keep all the files as a single one.
Old 12-19-2005, 04:08 AM
Junior Techie

Quote:
The inf file used is for post install commands. I forgot that you are having trouble with just inserting the files. I don't seem to be having trouble with long lists of files (it's worked for me for 145 files in a test run just now). The only thing I can think of is that your copy may somehow be corrupted. Here's a zipped copy of IExpress. You might want to consider also using IExpress just to make a cabinet file of all your files (the ActiveX option). It will be an even smaller file than a self-extracting file, but will keep all the files as a single one.
Thanks for that - though I did download a fresh copy from Microsoft... still with the same problem.

Perhaps the limite is 200 files?
Old 12-19-2005, 06:37 PM
Super Moderator

I noticed that IExpress creates a DDF file (a Diamond Directive File) for every 50 files that are compressed, when it's creating the cabinet file. Maybe there is a problem with using multiple DDFs on your system?