Techware Labs Header

Forums have moved

See this announcement for more details, or just go directly there.

Go Back   Techwarelabs Community > Tech > Operating Systems

Old 02-06-2005, 10:38 AM
F1a5hP01ntX

Default Best Distro For Linux Server?

I am setting up a Linux server at my house and I wanted to know if anybody had any suggestions or tips as to which distro is the best to use for a server. All of the other computers on my network will be running Windows XP Home. I also wanted to know if it was possible to set up roaming profiles on a linux server to work with windows xp computers.
Old 02-06-2005, 12:14 PM
Mad Techie

I would EASILY reccomend Gentoo.. incredible features... I'm currently dual booting that on my PowerEdge 420. next onees i'd reccomend (in order)

debian (apt-get is nice)
vector (slackware based)

but yeah all in all I'd reccomend Gentoo over anything else.

Asus A8N SLI - Opteron 148 @ 2.8 under a Zalman 7000cu LED - XFX 7800GT oc'd - 1gb Kingston Hyper X pc3000 BH5 2-2-2 - OCZ ModStream 450watt - WD 36gb Raptor - WD 320gb Storage Drive - Antec Super LanBoy - NEC 3550A 16x DVD Burner
Accessories:
ViewSonic VA1912wb 19" 8ms Widescreen - Plantronics Audio 90 - Logitech Z-640 5.1 - Razer Diamondback Plasma LE on a Ratpadz GS
Linux Box:
Pending..
Old 02-07-2005, 06:08 AM
Administrator

Send a message via ICQ to Omega Send a message via AIM to Omega Send a message via MSN to Omega Send a message via Yahoo to Omega

I'll toss my vote in the ring for Debian, but with a number of disclaimers.

I went through the same "which dist to use" debate quite a while ago. I think an important question for you to answer first is how much experience you have with linux. A lot of the distributions that might be most highly recommended for servers aren't the best recommendations for a newcomer to linux. I started with Debian, and installed it for about 14 hours one night (over, and over, and over again, etc.), and was incredibly frustrated. I put in a Mandrake CD and it was running shortly thereafter.

While Mandrake probably isn't the best choice for a server, it's a pretty good choice for a first time system. Ubuntu has the advantage of having the system "just work" as a desktop, but it has the debian base system, with which you can familiarize yourself right off the bat (apt-get is really, really nice ... which I heard a dozen times before ever using it, and had no appreication for what they really meant). I learned a great deal about xFree86 configuration, apache setup, proftpd configuration, etc, and then later had a much simpler time switching to Debian (which I now use on all my servers).

In summary: How much Linux experience do you have?
Old 02-07-2005, 09:36 AM
Platinium Techie

Send a message via AIM to Aemon_

i'll throw in for debian as well. its really the first distro i've used. i installed red hat a while back, then never touched it again. i've learned alot about apache and other crap as per omega said. but i havent tackled the x server stuff yet. one day though, one day.

check this site out: http://www.aboutdebian.com/

later

Old 02-07-2005, 05:52 PM
F1a5hP01ntX

I don't have that much experience doing stuff such as editing and recompiling the kernel. As far as setting it up, I guess I am ok at it. The distros I have used so far are Rad Hat 9, SuSE 9.1, Knoppix, and PCLinuxOS. The last 2 are just boot cds. I don't know much of how the others such as gentoo and debian work cause I haven't tried them. I was looking to setup a server that would host files and possibly a website sometimes. I would also like to try doing roaming profiles, but as far as I know, Linux doesn'thave support for hosting Windows XP roaming profiles and Windows Xp Home (which is what I am running) doesn't have support for them either (unless there is a workaround).
Old 02-07-2005, 06:44 PM
Super Moderator

Send a message via ICQ to vee_ess Send a message via AIM to vee_ess Send a message via MSN to vee_ess Send a message via Yahoo to vee_ess

You can host the Documents and Settings folder (profiles) on any file server. Every computer in which this will apply to, on the network, will require you to modify the Registry. Change the value of the ProfilesDirectory string in the [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\ProfileList] key to the path of the network drive and directory that the Profiles are being hosted on.

EDIT: My vote would go to either Debian or Mandrake, depending on how familiar you are with Linux (less familiar means go with Mandrake).
Old 02-09-2005, 10:14 PM
F1a5hP01ntX

ok... after working fairly hard sitting on my butt and sleeping some of the time to download and burn debian, i am disappointed to find that it is a command prompt linux distro (ewwwww). command prompt operating systems only keeps my ADD under control for like 5-10 minutes unless i know what i am doing.... and i didn't. so, i guess i will try suse again and possibly see if i can find another linux distro that is graphical that has the stuff i need to run good server. does anybody know if somebody has released a linux distro for a server with the tools and it is graphical?
Old 02-09-2005, 10:14 PM
F1a5hP01ntX

ok... after working fairly hard sitting on my butt and sleeping some of the time to download and burn debian, i am disappointed to find that it is a command prompt linux distro (ewwwww). command prompt operating systems only keeps my ADD under control for like 5-10 minutes unless i know what i am doing.... and i didn't. so, i guess i will try suse again and possibly see if i can find another linux distro that is graphical that has the stuff i need to run good server. does anybody know if somebody has released a linux distro for a server with the tools and it is graphical?
Old 02-10-2005, 01:44 AM
Mad Techie

Quote:
Originally Posted by F1a5hP01ntX
mandrake linux.

Asus A8N SLI - Opteron 148 @ 2.8 under a Zalman 7000cu LED - XFX 7800GT oc'd - 1gb Kingston Hyper X pc3000 BH5 2-2-2 - OCZ ModStream 450watt - WD 36gb Raptor - WD 320gb Storage Drive - Antec Super LanBoy - NEC 3550A 16x DVD Burner
Accessories:
ViewSonic VA1912wb 19" 8ms Widescreen - Plantronics Audio 90 - Logitech Z-640 5.1 - Razer Diamondback Plasma LE on a Ratpadz GS
Linux Box:
Pending..
Old 02-11-2005, 05:04 PM
F1a5hP01ntX

ummm... yeah. only because the forums were pmsing when i tried to post and it decided to post two of what i posted. that and the fact that we can't delete our own posts anymore.