Techware Labs Header

Forums have moved

See this announcement for more details, or just go directly there.

Old 07-27-2001, 09:52 AM
awesomedell

Default Re: Windows ME

I have a Dell Dimension 8100 running a P4, 1.4ghz & 256mb ram.  It came with WinME, and I'm starting to wish I'd saved a few bucks & had Win98SE put on it instead.  I 've experienced alot of browser lock-ups, not just in IE, Netscape doesn't seem to fair much better.  I've been seriously thinking of repartitioning the HD and trying out 98se on another partition to see how it performs.  My most frequent error seems to be with KERNEL32, I get errors with it at least once a day that cause whatever browser I'm using to shut down.
A couple of folks have suggested I opt for going to Win2000nt, but then I've also read posts on other bds similar to this one that some people have problems with that o/s also.  I personally think you're better off going with a more stable system like 98se, since it's already got the bugs worked out of it.  As for MSFT's new brainchild, XP, well before I'd put that on any of my machines, I'd wait for them to get their security issues worked out.  To learn more about this check out this link from Steve Gibson, developer of Zonealarm & ShieldsUP.  http://grc.com/dos/intro.htm  You'll learn why hacker types love this new o/s
Old 08-14-2001, 07:00 PM
bwbarbieri

WinME is for people who plan on doing a lot of multimedia stuff.  I had it for a short time.  Nothing but trouble for me.

I don't have anymore problems with WinME since I uninstalled it and put Windows98 in its place.
Old 08-17-2001, 11:34 AM
GodMonstr

ME is really just 98TE (third edition)
It is built on the SAME kernel as 98.
Old 08-19-2001, 08:21 AM
awrobinsonii

???
Recently I have been getting "REGENV32 has caused an error" when trying to shut down WinME, prior to that it was running fine, never had a problem with it, but now I might just put Win98SE back on, Stability is the key, but oh how I do hate the very time consuming reformat. Anyone got good instructions on using fdisk for a truely clean hdd to put Win98Se on, reformatting still leaves stuff behind which takes up room on the hdd, from my understanding. Please correct if I have been improperly inform.
Old 08-20-2001, 01:01 AM
Hulaboy

Whenever I do a full re-installation of Win98SE I delete all the partitions with FDISK and recreate them again. Just format them and that should be pretty good enough.  I know there's a command that reinitializes the drive so that it is just like the first day you got it.  I had to use that one time and boy did it work.  I'll try to find it for you and I'll repost it on the board.
Old 09-24-2001, 05:12 PM
Golden Techie

Send a message via Yahoo to wizbones

ME is a redheadedstepchild OS  :

98 any flavour is fine, but my pref lies in w2kpro

Haven't dabbled with XP yet but I am sure I will have to before all too long.

ME and dialup issues general modems and DSL modems just has been a nitemare for our ISP

Almost as bad as MAC users - no offense ment but as of late the MAC boom is back and oh man I wont go there  
The Maximum Effective Range of an Excuse is Zero point Zero Meters!
Old 10-11-2001, 10:36 PM
Pegger

;D
http://support.microsoft.com/Directo...&FR=0&LN=EN-CA
Old 10-12-2001, 06:28 AM
Simo

I think that Windows ME is very pretty and pleasing to the eye, but the crashes and lock ups mean that im a Windows 2K guy all the way.
However I apprecciate the fact that most OEM computers come with 98 or ME and alot of people arnt willing to fork out the $$$ for 2K simply because the dont need the extra fetures or stability.

Old 10-12-2001, 09:33 AM
coldy

ME's stabilty is not anything to get all excited over.  it has problems shutting down when i tell it to, so i have to smack it from time to time.
Old 10-12-2001, 02:59 PM
Golden Techie

Send a message via Yahoo to wizbones

ME is fine (for a red headed step child) it's just that when it was first released drivers compatibility was the biggist issue.

I have ME running on my old Pent 166 that I use for my Classic 50's Radio Broadcast http://www.wizbonespc.com:8020/listen.pls

It's been up and running 24/7 for about 6 mo. No problems. Course that's all I use it for but the most common problems that my clients have had has been driver related.

One other thing I notice on the HP boxes shipping with ME if the Dialup Adapter gets hosed you have to reinstall the OS to recover from it. There is no easy fix that I have been able to find. I could be wrong but haven't found it yet.  :
The Maximum Effective Range of an Excuse is Zero point Zero Meters!