Techware Labs Header

Forums have moved

See this announcement for more details, or just go directly there.

Go Back   Techwarelabs Community > Tech > Operating Systems

Old 01-10-2005, 01:09 PM
cherrypie

Quote:
Originally Posted by vee_ess
The Windows XP installations don't know who is the master or main installation. The boot.ini file on partition 0 of drive 0 (as addressed by the hardware) is what controls the boot order. That's a nice addition to SP2, it's ability to be uninstalled (as opposed to SP1).

you've actually had sp2 uninstall successfully??

heh i never have so far :/

maybe i don't have the magic touch or something......
Old 01-30-2005, 05:50 PM
F1a5hP01ntX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason425
go ahead and reformat... then reinstall SP2 first thing... it only screws up when updating an existing installation that's been around for a while...
how long is a while? cause i had my installation of xp for like a year and a half and had absolutely no problems when i installed sp2.
Old 01-30-2005, 09:35 PM
Platinium Techie

so you have the same computer as him? nope.
Old 01-30-2005, 10:31 PM
Lab Master Techie

Send a message via AIM to Jason425 Send a message via Yahoo to Jason425

hmm.. I dunno... it has something to do with how you've used your comp or something..
Dell Inspiron 1420 in Midnight Blue - Intel Core2Duo T7300 2.0GHZ/4MB - 2GB Ram - Nvidia 8400 GS 128mb - DVD/RW - 160GB 7200RPM - 14.1" Antiglare - Intel 4965AGN - Bluetooth 2.0 - 2MP Webcam - Vista Home Premium
2005 Mazda3i in Strato Blue
http://www.jasondsmith.net

Old 06-18-2005, 08:28 AM
janmaykz

Default I used www.google.com to search for answers on why...

I used www.google.com to search for answers on why does it take so long to install microsoft xp sp2? That is how I found this forum... I hope the team can give me an answer.

I downloaded and intalled the Microsoft Xp SP2 however after a while the status bar says it is half the time to finish but from 10PM in the evening up to time i wake-up at 8AM it is still half-way to finish so i turn my computer off...

So i asked you if how long does it take to completely and succesfully intall a supposed to be fixed software?
Old 06-18-2005, 11:14 AM
Platinium Techie

Send a message via AIM to Tyler Send a message via MSN to Tyler

That was really confusing to read haha.

Something's wrong if it takes 10 hours to get half way through the SP2 installation. It should only take a few minutes.
Old 06-19-2005, 01:44 AM
janmaykz

Default Thanks I have intalled it already...

I just look for a product code over the internet for windows xp that will work with windows xp's service pack 2 and then re-intall my windows xp. During the setup process I choose repair my windows xp. It will then ask for product code and wala! after I've finished I installed my SP2 again and this time it works without a trouble.
Old 06-19-2005, 03:14 PM
Roy Rogers

Windows offers a "fix" for some problems encountered with the installation os service pack 2. I'd check win updates and read the description, It may apply to your problem. As for the length of time to load SP 2, I opoted to order the free CD version (not even a shipping charge) rather than leave my isp connected for a lot of hours downloading.
Old 07-21-2006, 04:50 PM
Junior Techie

Send a message via MSN to vwrunner
Default Fucking Service Pack 2

Hey,

I have a Toshiba Satellite Laptop, bought it in 2003 and recently all the windows updates have been saying i have to download SP2 by October 10th or no more support. So today i downloaded it, Installed, restarted and then as soon I logged on, the only thing i saw wass my wallpaper, no icons, startmenu, any of that, NONE!! NOTHNG!!! Some one explain to me how to fix this please!!!
Old 07-23-2006, 01:25 AM
Super Moderator

Send a message via ICQ to vee_ess Send a message via AIM to vee_ess Send a message via MSN to vee_ess Send a message via Yahoo to vee_ess

Sometimes it takes a long time for it to finish and that's all you'll see. With the reliability of Windows Update, however, it may also just never continue once it's finished updating. Press CTRL + SHIFT + ESC to open Task Manager, on the Applications tab, press New Task, type "explorer", and press ENTER. Another option is to boot into Safe Mode by holding down F5 after the POST screen, then run System Restore in the Start > All Programs > Accessories > System Tools. (I forget whether that is an option for SP2 or not)