Techware Labs Header

Forums have moved

See this announcement for more details, or just go directly there.

Old 11-25-2001, 10:10 PM
The_Other_One

Default Re: Windows XP

I am never, never, NEVER upgrading past 2K unless I absolutly have to, or MS removes all that stupid permission crap > .  I hear stuff like you have to send the error codes to MS if your computer lockes up, and you can't abort it...  I also don't like the layout, to...pretty...  I like simple task bars with simple menus, rather then eye candy.  And finally, I've heard some stuff isn't conpatable with XP.  I still use alot of DOS programs(mainly emulations) and I MUST have DOS.

Nothing but 98SE for me.
Old 11-26-2001, 12:44 AM
Administrator

Send a message via ICQ to Omega Send a message via AIM to Omega Send a message via MSN to Omega Send a message via Yahoo to Omega

NES_master: Not that I'm a huge proponent of XP, but by permission crap do you mean the product activation junk?  They don't have that in XP Professional (not sure about Home).  As for sending an error report after crashes, it gives you a choice to send or not send, and if you do choose to send, you can either give them contact information, or remain anonymous.  The GUI is customizable, as well.  You can choose to either use the Luna theme (the 'pretty' one) or the classic windows theme, with all the same customization options as with Win2k or Win98.  I personally use the classic Windows theme modified with my own color choices.  To deal with the compatability issues, Microsoft has integrated a later feature of Win2k (SP2 I think): compatability layers.  From what I understand after you specify in the properties of the EXE what OS you want to run the program in, Windows will basically emulate the environment of said OS for said EXE.  I've used it once, and it worked fine.  Most DOS applications work as well, from what I've heard, but I haven't personally tried any.
Old 12-03-2001, 01:18 AM
altF?

I agree Omega, i have been running XP for a couple of months now, from Beta to Pro Official release. I also build computers for friends and i install XP on all these computers. I have had it running with AMD T-Birds to Pentium 4's. I haven't really experienced any troubles with hardware, and very few instances with software. I dual booted my personal system for a while between 2k and XP, but have since removed the 2k part. As far as the networking question in an early post, you can still change your ip in ipconfig from command line. As far as DOS programs go, best i can tell you is to find new emulators!  ;D I like XP alot, and have recently put it on my server at home which hosts 4 other comps. (one Mac) I am waiting to see what kind of trouble that gives me. So far tho, it has been smooth sailing  :
Old 12-03-2001, 07:12 AM
Bear

Have never tried XP or win2k using
98lite  or LiteStep on w95 machines
98 lite is really nice.
Will not upgrade unless I have to
to be able to run new games or apps. :P
Old 12-08-2001, 08:41 AM
aoC_PRoZaK

i´m using 98se now for ???how long, i think about two years and i really like it. if i´ll upgrade (everybody has to upgrade anything sometimes ;D) i´ll wait. in my opinion, win XP shurely will get better during the next months.but i´m still not gonna use it until it has a status in our community like 98se now, so i´ll stick to 98se for the next 4 to 5 months i think
Old 12-15-2001, 09:59 AM
Golden Techie

Send a message via Yahoo to wizbones

I have only had a few experiences with XP thus far and I have no desire to upgrade. I will stick with 2k Pro.

It took me three days to get XP on a Dell Inspiron 7000 to whit they claim it can be upgraded. After . . . I lost count . . umpteen attempts at installing it and it crashing, uninstalling drivers and apps and flashing the bios etc, it finally took and he's been happy with so far. I on the other hand am still having nightmare. 2 hours between each crash. Ugh.

Then I had an HP Pavillion 7480 that was upgraded from ME to XP first attempt went pretty smooth. Then he crashed n burned and it was all history from there. Wiped the drive and still cant get it installed agian. Back to ol ME. Not sure which one is worse.
The Maximum Effective Range of an Excuse is Zero point Zero Meters!
Old 12-23-2001, 07:49 PM
Administrator

Send a message via ICQ to Omega Send a message via AIM to Omega Send a message via MSN to Omega Send a message via Yahoo to Omega

I personally think it's kind of strange that people are using an OS that's about 4 years old still.  I could understand it, if say, the computer specs weren't high enough to run Win2k, at least, but other than that, I'm pretty sure that Win2k always was rated more highly than Win98.  WinXP is also rated better than Win98, and in many cases, better than Win2k as well.  I think WinME is accepted as a blunder on the part of MS, and never really gained popularity.
Old 01-22-2002, 07:00 AM
Peterke

I use XP for testing purposes... and I runs very well... except the "emulating modes" for games (like Colin McRae racing) and stuff. If I want to try that, the games aren't playable that's why I use a dualboot with 98SE, and also to burn most of my CDs, 98 comes in handy... there are a few major bugsin XP, that you will never experience if you have a big C-partition where XP is installed:
the problems are:
-try to move (or resize) the your swap-space (=pagefile.sys) from the C-partition to another one... well... you can't really!! you change the setup and nothing changes!!
-try to move the place where your temp files are being placed to another partition (not on the XP-partition)... well the soft says: you can... but look at your (free) space of your XP-partition if you are getting your files ready to burn on the CD... your space will diminish...
-1 other stupid bug for some motherboards: the ATX powerdown doesn't work > ...
other bugs... I didn't find any  
Old 01-29-2002, 05:03 PM
bepro

Ugly colors lol
I recently upgraded to windows XP and I still like win2k better. The graphical interface is nice but you still have more options then using win2kpro compared to winxp-business.  Another reason is i dont like MS anymore, Linux is better even tho im still a newbie, and its free
Old 01-30-2002, 08:47 AM
anonym

I'm using XP and here is my advice: Use Win XP only when you're having much time and nerves.

It's more relaxing with Win98 or so