Techware Labs Header

Forums have moved

See this announcement for more details, or just go directly there.

Go Back   Techwarelabs Community > Tech > Operating Systems

Old 12-11-2001, 08:51 PM
Grinnin Reaper

Default Re: i just deleted 19,100 temp internet files

Here's an even easier way to keep it under control:

Goto Tools
Internet Options
Advanced tab
Scroll to the bottom to Security
Check Empty Temporary Internet File folder when browser is closed.

Sure it's a security feature but it keeps the folder pretty clean.  Only down side I've seen is it doesn't clean out cookies.
Old 12-23-2001, 08:01 PM
Administrator

Send a message via ICQ to Omega Send a message via AIM to Omega Send a message via MSN to Omega Send a message via Yahoo to Omega

Yeah, it's generally a good idea to keep that stuff pretty clean.  Just keep stuff to the extent that it will speed up page loads.  Some of us **cough cough**dialup**cough cough** still have issues with that  >.
Old 02-23-2002, 02:08 PM
Golden Techie

Send a message via Yahoo to wizbones

You can also adjust the amount of disk space you allow for Temp Internet files. The default is a percentage of your hard drive the bigger the hard drive the bigger the space is going to be. I've worked on system where they've had over 900 MB alocated for Temp Internet Files. What a waste of space.

If you have a high speed connect turn of caching altogether, why would you need it? If you're on dialup, then set your cache to say 30MB or less. Anything more is over kill.

I cache nothing so have nothing to delete. Loading and running third party software to do it for you is defeating your purpose. You're just loading more software into memory using resources, also setting up scheduled items uses resources as well. Replace one with another and you have acheived nothing.

Just a friendly suggestion on the scandisk defrag thing too if I may. The only time you need to run scandisk is when defrag will not run. The first 10% of defrag is actually checking your drive for errors, if there are none it will continue and defrag the hard drive, if it finds error's then it will tell you to run scandisk. Just a step saver in the ol maintenance arena.

Later guys.
The Maximum Effective Range of an Excuse is Zero point Zero Meters!
Old 02-23-2002, 04:18 PM
Bear

Adaware is also useful to clean stuff out.
Old 03-29-2002, 10:51 PM
Super Moderator

Send a message via ICQ to vee_ess Send a message via AIM to vee_ess Send a message via MSN to vee_ess Send a message via Yahoo to vee_ess

yeah adware is a good thing to delete and adaware is good at that.

you know how i keep my system in tiptop shape? format it every two weeks or less. he he he. ;D  ;D  ;D  ;D
Old 04-18-2002, 08:29 PM
coffejor

if you do a [Shift] + [Delete] you by-pass the Recycle Bin, another little time saver.
Old 05-20-2002, 09:14 AM
Administrator

Send a message via ICQ to Omega Send a message via AIM to Omega Send a message via MSN to Omega Send a message via Yahoo to Omega

Yeah, I always use Shift + Delete now. It's kind of a bad thing, because on occasion I accidentally delete things, and circumventing the Recycle Bin circumvents the ability to restore files. I guess I can deal with it though.
Old 05-28-2002, 01:03 PM
Tioga

how many times do you guys format it?

it looks like im formating my every 5 or 4 months.

and try to clean it out every 3rd week, run nortan,clean out temp files and all that other junk

Link deleted
-------------------------
How about lets not spam these boards. - NetSmog Mod
Old 05-28-2002, 03:42 PM
Super Moderator

Send a message via ICQ to vee_ess Send a message via AIM to vee_ess Send a message via MSN to vee_ess Send a message via Yahoo to vee_ess

2 weeks is ideal for me, and i clean out my harddrive almost everyday...just i haven't reformatted for 6 weeks now and iz driving me crazy

Omega, dont feel bad, you aint the only one on **cough cough**dialup**cough cough**.
Old 05-29-2002, 09:23 AM
Administrator

Tioga: Generally, I'd say that I reformat about ever 6 months. Sometimes when I reformat on that 6 month interval, I'll reformat several times in the span of about a week, just to mess around with stuff when I don't have anything to lose. If I was running Windows 98 still, I'm pretty sure I'd be closer to 3 or 4 month cycles, but Windows XP Professional has been serving me well, and Windows 2000 Professional had been doing well before that. I just got my Windows 2000 Advanced Server system set up, but I probably won't reformat that until the next Windows server OS comes out, because setting everything up is a pain.