Techware Labs Header

Forums have moved

See this announcement for more details, or just go directly there.

Old 09-30-2001, 03:34 PM
Digital_Vixen

Default Zone Alarm

Hey everyone, got a question for you. For ping stats on a firewall such as Zone Alarm, how can you tell when you are getting 'hacked' or if it's just good, plain-old ping? :P
Old 10-01-2001, 12:28 PM
Golden Techie

Send a message via Yahoo to wizbones
Default Re: Zone Alarm

When using ZoneAlarm the freebie single user version it pops up with the message and there is a link there that will take to you to web page with an explanation of what the request was. This should pretty much let you know what is going on.

ZoneAlarm is a great product but you should also be using some sort of Anti-Virus program as well.

ZoneAlarm also logs all hits as well but the info there is limited. Hope that helps alittle bit anyhow.
The Maximum Effective Range of an Excuse is Zero point Zero Meters!
Old 10-09-2001, 06:45 PM
Digital_Vixen

Sweet! Thanks for the explaination.  ;D
Old 11-04-2001, 02:22 PM
thetechfreak

when you keep gettin hits from the same ip in a short time on different ports get worried, some1 is port scanning you

ne1 on AOL keep gettin this sorta symptom lately?

(dont laff, AOL is the best isp in uk :| )

also i keep gettin AOL pinging my 12345 port which is somethin to do with the netbus virus, i wonder if aol has it rofl
Old 11-08-2001, 05:01 AM
JohnDoez

@thetechfreak, AOL dont want you using a firewall thats why its so hard to set up, and yes most DoS attacks are caried out by the vast 30 Million AOL user unwantingly.

@Zonealarm in general, an overaverage Firewall, I must add,
most "so called" attacks are from your own ISP and Napster type Programs ( to inform other users as to your speed of connection E.G )

IF however some " not so nice Person " is running a port scan on you, beware... Zonelaram logs only 500 hits, this would make it possible to drop you offline, maybe clearing the logs once in a while would help !
Old 01-12-2002, 03:54 AM
PowerWCRulez

I have ZA Firewall since a year now while upgrade the ZA when it;s avaliable new version of ZA Firewall..

if you want very strong stealth mode, go to SECURITY tab and move the both sides all way to TOP as HIGH settings. if you want to DCC chat with your Bots and you need to turn off the "block" on Local/Internet setting bottom of the security settings. after that your chat is DONE with DCC Chat with bots, you can turn back on BLOCK both Local and Internet..

Also on MIRC: Turn off the IDENT in your mirc settings cuz of the ZA would detected ident port 13.

The test port probe avaliable at www.grc.org or com I forgot the GRC site addy..  

I've hits lot of ports detected from outside of internets,, 111,12345 and lot of suspectable ports.. it;s totally BLOCKED and very heavy stealth mode,, the hacker cannot find you when your ZA is Stealth Mode ON (Both must be HIGH on security settings)
Old 01-12-2002, 12:40 PM
Bear

I'm using NeoWatch
How good is it does anybody had any experience
with it ?