Techware Labs Header

Forums have moved

See this announcement for more details, or just go directly there.

Go Back   Techwarelabs Community > Tech > Operating Systems

Old 08-16-2002, 11:30 PM

Default W2K OS VS. XP. What do you guys think is the best?

Which os do you guys like better, I have still not tried xp, I am running W2K pro and like it allot, I hear so much bad crap about xp and just wan the real scoop and opinion from people that have used both.
Old 08-17-2002, 03:27 AM
Jazzman

XP is an angel to me. Never needing to get drivers is SOOO nice. als0, as far as my experience, stability is unmatched (windows xp pro)
Old 08-17-2002, 03:33 AM
accurateimage

Default ???

How about the registration..?? I have heard mixed reviews about that crap, I rebuild my systems all the time so do you have to re-register everytime you rebuild..?? That is what a buddy told me, but he may or may not know what he is talking about. Anything odd about the install of it..??
Old 08-17-2002, 12:22 PM

well the only OS ive worked with is 98, and i gotta say its serving its time well. Im sure vee_ess will have a word in this, because both OS have their many advantages and disadvantages. Its all a matter of opinion really, but yeah ive heard some stuff on XP. I like it though, same with win2000pro
Old 08-17-2002, 02:04 PM
Super Moderator

Send a message via ICQ to vee_ess Send a message via AIM to vee_ess Send a message via MSN to vee_ess Send a message via Yahoo to vee_ess

The last 2 and a half years, I have done my best to keep my hands clean of th DOS-based OS'es. So, basically, I have around 2 and a half years of daily experience with Win 2k, and about 1 and a half years of daily experience with Win XP.

Windows 2000 is slightly, but noticeably faster in office apps, and less noticeably faster in gaming. Neither one has ever truly crashed for me. Windows 2000, isn't very compatible with many things, and hardware support isn't really very good for much of the gaming hardware. Windows XP has much better compatibility though. Because after all, Win XP has an enhanced Win 2k kernel, and the most important change is the compatibility. The registration is optional, but the activation isn't, and if you get the OEM version, you can reinstall it any amount of times in any period of time, and if you activate it online it takes about 2-3 seconds. I think that hassle is worth the extra compatibility. The performance is virtually identical, and both are far superior to the DOS-based OS'es. One thing I don't like about 2000, besides the lack of compatibility, is it takes about twice as long to boot - upwards of 30 seconds for me. Win XP takes about 15 seconds. MS optimized the boot up because many people didn't like the time it took, and it was supposed to be really in-efficient.

Tell me if you want more info.
Old 08-17-2002, 03:05 PM
accurateimage

Default Hmmm....

So if I buy say xp pro locally every time I install it I have to activate it..? Also say I wanted to be el sneako and install it on two machines..?? Would that be a problem..?? I see that if I buy the oem version I just need to activate it once correct..?? so if I activate it once then I can use it just like WINK and put it on as many machines as I want or..?? Let me know, see I have 4 computers at this location, and I would love to be able to just buy 1 copy, I know it is wrong and illegal but I would rather keep every dime out of that greedy guys company as possible. ALso I heard a rumor for another computer guy that everytime you change hardware, or a processor or a video card ect... you have to re register it or install it, somthing like that. Let me know what ya think!
Old 08-17-2002, 05:19 PM
Smoked1

I got a copy from a buddy of mine and all seems well so far. I'm just waitng to see if it locks me out 9 months from now. I like it. Very stable now that they have finished the beta testing, paid for by consumers. Actually all MS operating systems are like a life long beta test that we pay for. Well, some of us.
Old 08-20-2002, 01:14 AM
Administrator

Send a message via ICQ to Omega Send a message via AIM to Omega Send a message via MSN to Omega Send a message via Yahoo to Omega

Well, I haven't read all the posts in here, but I'll leave a brief synopsis of my stance on the issue. I believe I've already gone into this in another post somewhere, but I'm too lazy to find it right now.

Windows 2000 Professional is more "professional," in my opinion. It's a more aged and widely-utilized platform than XP is. XP is a more modern OS, and has better native driver support than Windows 2000. I personally haven't ever had application compatability problems with Windows XP, but haven't had any with 2000 either. I use modern applications almost exclusively. Windows XP networking is somewhat slower than that of 2000, in my experience. Windows XP has some features that I like a lot, including the network activity monitor in task manager, showing date in system tray, win+L to lock, AIM away message when computer locked, remote desktop. Windows 2000, on the other hand also has some features that are somewhat lost in XP, including good user management, efficient networking, three SP's of support/fixes.

For my purposes, I've gone with Windows XP on my main computer at home. Registration isn't necessary ever, and all that is necessary is "Product Activation." You can either do this online in ~30 seconds, or over the phone with a few automated prompts in a minute or two. If you reformat and reinstall on same machine, same hardware, I think you're alright to go. If something's changed, or a new computer when you reinstall, you just do the same thing again.

Bear in mind that Windows 2000 is 2-3 years old, which has its advantages and disadvantages, whereas Windows XP is 0-1 years old.

My personal opinion is that performance differences are going to be mostly negligable. Stability is probably nearly the same, but possibly somewhat better with Windows 2000 still. The main factor that will influence that, regardless of what OS you run, is how you (ab)use your computer.

Oh yeah, Windows XP has system restore, if that's a big thing for you. Personally? I turn it off.
Old 10-09-2002, 12:30 AM
Altheos

Like many said, winxp and win2000 are not fundumentaly different, the difference is that win2000 has less fancy gizmos than winxp (which means less memory usage).

i use win2000 and the main factor is because I change hardware a lot and I do abuse my machine so formats are common to me, Iused win xp for 6 months and didnt like the activation thing.
Old 10-09-2002, 12:39 AM
eviltechie

i personaly prefers the win2k pro
been using it since it came out