Techware Labs Header

Forums have moved

See this announcement for more details, or just go directly there.

Old 09-06-2003, 09:16 AM
Administrator

Send a message via ICQ to Uranium-235 Send a message via AIM to Uranium-235
Default Has this ever happened to you?

I left my system on last night. Something I haven't done in over a year. I also unplugged the cat5 cable from it.

This morning. When I got up, I plugged the cat5 in and logged in. I tried to access the internet, and it immediately didn't work (like TCP/IP wasn't configured, or something critical like that). Suddenly, without warning it hardlocked. I pushed the reset button.

When 2K booted up again, it came up with 'new hardware found'. Somehow, my ethernet card drivers became unloaded. I tried to re-install them, but windows couldent find a proper diver, which is wierd, since the drivers I was using for it CAME with windows. Almost like windows wasn't detecting a proper vendor ID from the card.

I turned it off (no restart, totally off). And OS boot, nic shows up just fine. WTH happened? How could windows just unload my drivers, not detect it properly, and load everythign fine next boot? this is wierd

Old 09-06-2003, 10:41 AM
Lab Master Techie

Send a message via AIM to Jason425 Send a message via Yahoo to Jason425

well on my other comp. Every time i boot it tries to install "printer" (there is no printer even in that room) just a freakshow by M$ i guess..
Dell Inspiron 1420 in Midnight Blue - Intel Core2Duo T7300 2.0GHZ/4MB - 2GB Ram - Nvidia 8400 GS 128mb - DVD/RW - 160GB 7200RPM - 14.1" Antiglare - Intel 4965AGN - Bluetooth 2.0 - 2MP Webcam - Vista Home Premium
2005 Mazda3i in Strato Blue
http://www.jasondsmith.net

Old 09-07-2003, 11:39 AM
Administrator

Send a message via ICQ to Uranium-235 Send a message via AIM to Uranium-235

Jeez!

now I wake up this morning (after leaving it on all night again), and when I logon, I get a 'signal out of range'.

Appearently, something has modified the max frequency for my monitor, and refreshlock changed to it! (1280X1024x150!). This has never happend before and I've been using refreshlock for over a month now.

So I went into safemode and took refreshlock out of startup.

I got the INF for my monitor (I've had it on my hard drive for years, but decided not to use it since my default refresh rate was working OK from 'Default monitor'). The INF was built for 98 and not 2K. But after a while I finally got it to work.

This is the second day in a row that I left my system on over night and something very very odd and inexplainable happened the next morning. Makes me wonder if gremlins come every night and got in my hard drive. But were never able to effect it before since my computer was off