Techware Labs Header

Forums have moved

See this announcement for more details, or just go directly there.

Go Back   Techwarelabs Community > Tech > Techware Labs News

Old 08-05-2003, 10:58 PM
gnogtr

That's still slower than what I've done to my card. I can't wait to see what ppl will be doing with the 9900 Pro. I'm going to skip this release and wait for the next one to come out. 10000 Pro. By then it'll be this time next year.
Old 08-06-2003, 03:05 PM
Super Moderator

Send a message via ICQ to vee_ess Send a message via AIM to vee_ess Send a message via MSN to vee_ess Send a message via Yahoo to vee_ess

Quote:
Originally Posted by gnogtr
Yeah, I read that before. If you'll notice, check out what they did to the card to get that score besides upping the clock to over 800. They had to take a liquid nitrogen cooler to cool the card to -42C. If someone had the money and resources to do that to an ATI card, the score would be higher. The clock it too high, if you want legit scores, let the two cards go head to head on stock settings, I feel that's more fair than modding the card so high you have to drop the temperature to sub-zero.
The team that managed to get their 5900 to score so high also ran a 9800 Pro on the same rig apparently (an assumption but a reasonable one because it showed the same type of system in the page that included details) and scored several hundred points lower. When the scores are not even in the ten's of thousands yet, that is a considerable margin. And if you look at all of the top scores, regaurdless of the type of card, they are all overclocked P4's in a relatively similiar margin. The general trend is that at moderately high processor speeds, the ATI wins, but as speeds go higher and higher, nVidia starts to take a demanding lead.
Old 08-06-2003, 03:50 PM
gnogtr

Yeah, the processor is extreemly important. I took a AMD 2400+ that I overclocked and scored well over 1000 points lower then I did with a 3000+. Now that's w/o any overclcok on the 3000+. It seems that the L1 and L2 cache size have a lot to do with the overall score.

As for AMD/P4, I have an AMD in my desktop and a P4 in my laptop. Even though I have a hyperthreading P4 3.06 533fsb in my laptop, my desktop has a AMD 3000+ 333fsb and it seems faster. I think the reason it seems faster is because of the fact I have 1gig of PC2700 Ram, but I have 512 Mb of PC 2100 in my laptop.

Now with it just scoring a few hundred higher, there really isn't that much difference in the overall performance of the card. I can score 100 points higher by just have 1-2 more fps in the game tests. Now if the FX 5900 is only pushing 5-6 more fps per game test, then that small margin of overall performance doesn't appeal to me especially when you're pushing the clock speeds so high you have to put liquid nitorgen to cool it, I'll stick to the ATI card.

I just found out that if you push the FX 5900 too high (even none or just a little) some ppl seem to be having a "Flickering" problem in 2d. Where as the ATI card has an overall better picture quality while running games and you don't have to worry about the flickering. But, with ATI, you have to worry about their drivers which aren't as good as Nvidia's drivers.

So I guess you have pluses and minuses which everway you go, but I personally recommend ATI because they took the high speed market first with the 9700.
Old 08-10-2003, 03:17 AM

Check out my beast:
Mobo: Gigabyte GA-8IK1100
CPU: P4 2.8GHz 800fsb with Hyper Threading on(Running at 2.81 Ghz)
Power Color ATI Radeon 9800pro 128.
Corsair XMS TwinX 512mb 2x256mb DDR 400 dual channel.
Segate Barracuda 80gb SATA
Lian-Li PC-61.
52xCDRW
16x DvD
Flat 17 inch monitor (CRT)

USD$2055, AUD$3100
Old 08-10-2003, 06:12 PM
gnogtr

I think after I added the prices up on my machine, it came up to around $2200. I've done a ton of modding on the case upping the price.
Old 08-11-2003, 05:19 PM
Super Moderator

Send a message via ICQ to vee_ess Send a message via AIM to vee_ess Send a message via MSN to vee_ess Send a message via Yahoo to vee_ess

Eye candy is always good.
Old 08-11-2003, 08:07 PM
gnogtr

Of course
Old 08-20-2003, 12:58 AM
ZoNtO

quite frankly i'm sick of hearing this bullshit argument over whether or not ati or nvidia is better. for the love of all that's holy would everyone just shut up. think about it for just a second. each company has their advantages and disadvantages. blah blah blah image quality and speed and detonator drivers being better than catalysts. ITS PERSONAL PREFERENCE. obviously when you go and buy say a 5800 ultra and then upgrade to a radeon 9800 it's going to be faster. but why, is it because ATI kick's nvidia's ass. no, it's simply because that is the newest card and you can rest assured that in a few months or less nvidia will have their next card out that will beat the ATI card. but alas, a few months later, ATI releases their next big "nvidia" killer. it's a neverending cycle.

if you like nvidia, buy nvidia. if you like ati, buy ati. both of the new cards are dang fast in games and benchmarks alike and each one will do better in certain situations. base ur purchase on what you play, how u play it, and how you want your driver/customization experience to be. i know it sounds cliche, but can't we all just get along?
Old 08-21-2003, 12:26 AM
gnogtr

I believe that's the exact same conclusion we came to. DUH
Old 08-23-2003, 05:28 PM
Steevo

Thats about it.

So Long Folks