Techware Labs Header

Forums have moved

See this announcement for more details, or just go directly there.

Go Back   Techwarelabs Community > Tech > Operating Systems

Old 10-09-2002, 12:47 AM
Yo Momma

I use the corperate final version of XP. No activiation.
Old 10-09-2002, 10:45 AM
byteguy

I use XP Pro--like the native support for lots of hardware. This is supposed to be a more stable system than 2000. I've managed to crash it doing weird stuff, but I think it would actually recover by itself if left alone for a while.

2000 is designed more for corporate use--where security and large networking capability are considerations, IMHO

Art
Old 10-09-2002, 02:30 PM
ldonyo

I've been using XP Pro at home and at work for over a year. I've had far fewer software issues at work with XP than I did with 2K. I've had NO hardware or software issues at home and that includes running some older games such as the first Heroes of Might & Magic, Blade Runner, Lands of Lore 2, Wing Commander: Prophecy, and Ultima VI, VII, and VIII. I haven't attached an add-in card or a peripheral yet that XP didn't run properly from the word go.
Old 10-09-2002, 06:20 PM
xMerCLorDx

win2k for sure especially for more of the power users. its a solid server and workstation. XP's driver compatability is nice, but chock full of annoying "wizards" i find xp to be kind of wussy compaired to 2k in that respect. they dummy down a ton of things.. especially in XP home.

I like XP for a workstation, pretty,and simple. I enjoy the kernel based driver system for devices in xp ..its much nicer, but you get some things you don't really want or have a choice in deciding sometimes as far as drivers go. I love its camera file transfer utility thing.. its much easier to use then the third party ones that came with my camera that i have to use in 2k.

2k seems to be more rock solid as both server and workstation. You have to specify the drivers and it doesn't find nearly as much as xp, but once you do there is hardly any issue with them, i've only had a few probs with my camera drivers in 2k...(partly because the manufacturer stopped making drivers >: ( )
Old 10-10-2002, 05:33 AM
q2_stefan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yo Momma
I use the corperate final version of XP. No activiation.
Yes, I use this too. Very good indeed.
Old 10-11-2002, 07:50 PM
EnigmaticPhoenix

Default Ah yes, the kernel of stability...

I personally use Windows XP because it at least ostensibly has better compatability with games. However, Microsoft definitely could have done a better job with this, as compatability mode is not even close to a full solution (case in point: Homeworld Catacylsm, which I have to run in compatability mode for NT 4.0?!?).

Windows XP is greatly overpriced on the retail level, and being the law-abiding citizen I am, I had to take all of 5 minutes to find a much cheaper copy on pricewatch. The built-in drivers are REALLY nice, except they should give you an option of updating the default drivers for certain peripherals, as the Radeon drivers = BSOD.
Old 10-28-2002, 12:22 AM
Lab Master Techie

Send a message via AIM to Jason425 Send a message via Yahoo to Jason425
Default Win XP

I use XP professional at home and 2000 at school. I am probably biased but i like XP much more because of "tinkerability" looks, among other things. I have heard that XP home is a joke.. so Between XP pro and 2k.. its pro but XP home and 2k.. go with 2k
Dell Inspiron 1420 in Midnight Blue - Intel Core2Duo T7300 2.0GHZ/4MB - 2GB Ram - Nvidia 8400 GS 128mb - DVD/RW - 160GB 7200RPM - 14.1" Antiglare - Intel 4965AGN - Bluetooth 2.0 - 2MP Webcam - Vista Home Premium
2005 Mazda3i in Strato Blue
http://www.jasondsmith.net

Old 10-28-2002, 01:58 AM
xMerCLorDx

Default Re: Win XP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason425
I use XP professional at home and 2000 at school. I am probably biased but i like XP much more because of "tinkerability" looks, among other things. I have heard that XP home is a joke.. so Between XP pro and 2k.. its pro but XP home and 2k.. go with 2k
i dont think that works.. i'd take 2k pro over xp anything.

u do realize there is xp pro, 2k pro, 2k home, 2k server, 2k advanced server also right?

no 2k home, my bad my bad
Old 10-28-2002, 02:02 AM
eviltechie

there is no win2k home
Old 10-29-2002, 05:20 AM
TheRogue

ive used win xp since february, never had any problems, the system is basically used for web (browsing, email), gaming (on and (sometimes) offline), doing homework, music

apart from the gaming nothing paticularly intensive, ive got a 1.53ghz, 256ddr system, ill probs get more ram for xmas

never used win2k so i can't really comment on it, but XP is fine for drivers, great for stability, only had a couple of BSoDs and they were from unusual applications (SETI@Home doesn't like it, the program which comes with my mobo to OC it, xp unsupported, and another i can't remember)