Techware Labs Header

Forums have moved

See this announcement for more details, or just go directly there.

Old 05-04-2006, 05:36 AM
Techie

Default Virtual PC's

I've been on many forums, from gaming to technology. I've seen "Virtual PC"s many times, but never really got to know what they were. Can anyone please explain and maybe post some screenshots?

Thanks
Old 05-10-2006, 03:34 PM
Administrator

Send a message via ICQ to Omega Send a message via AIM to Omega Send a message via MSN to Omega Send a message via Yahoo to Omega

A Virtual PC is an entire operating system running inside another operating system. This means you could boot your computer up into Windows XP, and then run VirtualPC or VMware to have Windows 2000 or 98 or Linux running in a window (or full screen), without having to reboot or anything.

Screenshots

It runs a "virtualization layer" such that hardware devices are emulated by software, and, as necessary, translated/relayed to your actual hardware. It's a pretty cool way to provide support/walk-throughs for other operating systems, test potentially unstable, or even malicious software, or just mess around with another OS if you don't have another machine handy. It should also be noted that VirtualPC had a good foothold in the Mac market, and actually performed the additional function of non-natively emulating an x86 environment (ran on PPC), but the additional overhead resulted in rather crappy performance. Still, it gave the maclots a way to actually use popular software :P. VirtualPC was purchased by Microsoft within the last few years. VMware has always been my preference. (P.S. it also runs in Linux.)

Edit: Oh. I also feel that I should note that it's becoming somewhat popular for businesses to run multiple servers as virtual machines on one physical machine.
Old 05-12-2006, 07:24 AM
Techie

From my own experiences, I can say that it does the job; I once had to make a program run under Windows 98/2000/ME/XP and had them all installed on one machine using Virtual PC, and it always acted as it should.
Old 05-12-2006, 10:33 AM
xMerCLorDx

Here's another piece of software that works well: http://qemu.com/

It's real easy to setup.
Old 05-12-2006, 11:00 AM
Lab Master Techie

Send a message via AIM to Jason425 Send a message via Yahoo to Jason425

Linux-only = big WTF
Dell Inspiron 1420 in Midnight Blue - Intel Core2Duo T7300 2.0GHZ/4MB - 2GB Ram - Nvidia 8400 GS 128mb - DVD/RW - 160GB 7200RPM - 14.1" Antiglare - Intel 4965AGN - Bluetooth 2.0 - 2MP Webcam - Vista Home Premium
2005 Mazda3i in Strato Blue
http://www.jasondsmith.net