Techware Labs Header

Forums have moved

See this announcement for more details, or just go directly there.

Old 07-17-2001, 12:04 PM
lynchmob

Default Question?

Has anyone used Windows Professional 2000/NT?  What is the advantage of it?  What are the disadvantages of it?  Thanks!!
Old 07-17-2001, 01:40 PM
Administrator

Send a message via ICQ to Keefe Send a message via AIM to Keefe Send a message via MSN to Keefe Send a message via Yahoo to Keefe
Default Re: Question?

I have used both windows 2000 professional and windows NT 4.0 workstation.  The main advantage of them is they are built off of the NT kernal so your system will be very stable.  Windows 2000/NT supports a lot of server and high end user options.  The only disadvantage is that it is a little harder to set up and use.
Old 08-14-2001, 11:02 AM
Propig

Windows 2000 is time consuming to convert if you use a wide variety of software applications that are non Microsoft applications. They do have a program that will identify applications that are not compatible which  saves A LOT of time. An issue that arose for me was if an application is not compatible, you are stuck with finding(and buying) something else or trying to get the manufacturer of the application to make necessary changes.

I did find Microsoft support team willing and able to help through the transition as well as helping with working with vendors to get changes made.

Another dis-advantage is that it takes longer to boot a pc with 2000 - of course this could be considered an advantage also because it is a perfect opportunity to go get my morning coffee!
Old 08-14-2001, 05:21 PM
Josh1

Hey, you might want to have a look at this.  http://www.footslog.com/cgi-bin/boar...ction=topics&f
orum=Windows+2000

http://www.footslog.com/board/Forum4/HTML/000016.html

Old 08-23-2001, 11:54 AM
daluu

Heck, I find windows 2000 to be really cool. Like the others said, its way more stable. It's pretty much the same as Windows 9x for basic everyday use. It is a little harder to install and setup but not a biggy if you know computers. As for software, I find it runs quite a lot - it doesn't have to be Microsoft. However, 16-bit applications seem to run slower on win 2000 than on Win 9x machines. You just gotta try it.