Techware Labs Header

Forums have moved

See this announcement for more details, or just go directly there.

Old 08-09-2006, 09:41 PM
Junior Techie

Default System randomly jitters and skips

Hey all, I just rebuilt my current system: VPR Matrix 1820 - 1.8Ghz p4, 512ram (2x256 kingston), 2x80gig drives, winxppro (legit).

Before building rebuilding (or rather, reinstalling everytyhing from a fresh hd) i nuked both hard drives using Darik's boot and nuke. Well, I just moved back home with it and now that I listen to music (via winamp), I find there is a random skip in a song... something that for the last 3 months hasn't been. It actually makes the entire system jitter for a second and catch back up.

This problem is what caused me to nuke my hard drives in the first place. Is this a sign that my hard drive (windows one) is dying? I don't hear any squeeling, but when i movemy mouse to surf the mouse will freeze for a split second. This machine is up to date with all upgrades, BIOS flashes, and drivers.

I looked at the task manager and the processor gets a 20-22% spike every 45 seconds when i'm listening to music and right at the jitter in the song, the spike occurs. The process is called "System" that is owned by SYSTEM. The size is 224k. Regardless of listening to music, the spike occurs and causes the computer to freeze
Old 08-11-2006, 12:39 PM
Super Moderator

Send a message via ICQ to vee_ess Send a message via AIM to vee_ess Send a message via MSN to vee_ess Send a message via Yahoo to vee_ess

Those types of symptoms often occur when you don't have enough RAM and/or too small a page file. Do you have a lot of things running in the background? System is legitimate, unless it's system.exe, it just controls other system processes such as svchost.exe.
Old 11-03-2006, 06:20 AM
Junior Techie

thnx for sharing this info with all od us.
Old 11-14-2006, 11:46 PM
Techie

You might want to try using sysinternals process explorer and see what spikes your cpu usage.
I had a incident a few days ago where a scanner was operating jerky, and stalling out the box. I saw under process manager where "system" was maxing out the cpu when it stuttered, so I ran the above mentioned tool and watched. Lo and behold, it was the telephony windows service causing the stutter.

I disabled the service and the machine started running fine. I have no idea what telephony has to do with scanning.