Techware Labs Header

Forums have moved

See this announcement for more details, or just go directly there.

Old 03-03-2002, 09:03 PM
Administrator

Send a message via ICQ to Keefe Send a message via AIM to Keefe Send a message via MSN to Keefe Send a message via Yahoo to Keefe
Default Windows Xp.... :(

At first when I installed windows XP I thought that it was a well designed operating system. I am now starting to have my doubts.  It seems like every day my computer get less and less stable.  I get those stupid error reporting things something ten times a day.  I have not installed any new software since I initially set it up.  I wonder where the stability length setting is in windows xp...  Has anyone else eXPerienced problems like this with their installations of xp?

-keefe
Old 03-04-2002, 01:34 AM
Administrator

Send a message via ICQ to Uranium-235 Send a message via AIM to Uranium-235
Default Re: Windows Xp.... :(

*cough* 98SE *cough
Old 03-04-2002, 04:57 PM
Chef

Default Re: Windows Xp.... :( ho ho ho

Hah !

M$ is dying, they are out of ideas  Anybody remembers anything about WinME (a.k.a. Win98 3rd ED) ?? Well, I remember all the trouble it made and at the end we recommended to ppl to stick with Win98. I still recommend that.
If you wish to stick with M$ OS Win98 SE is the answer for desktop OS. W2000 is much better, but it's not for fun (I personally use both).

Now XP, well excuse me, that's another trick to sell the same crap with new shiny look. I also recommend you ppl to check this article >>  
http://grc.com/dos/xpconference.htm

So you want to try something new ? That's not XP for sure ...

Cheers
Chef
Cheflab.com

Old 03-04-2002, 05:06 PM
Golden Techie

Send a message via Yahoo to wizbones

Chef,

I lean pretty much the same way you do. I am not at all impressed with XP and recommend either 98SE or 2000 myself.

I don't play much so I use 2000 more than 98 but when "fixing" issues with clientelle PC's I formost install 98SE.

Checked out your site. Looking good, could I persuade you to check out http://www.webdevnet.com ?

Keefe,

I think XP in general is a weak "OK" and that you'll be better off stepping back to an older ver. Most my customers with XP call me often for this and that and basically are not happy with it.

To have such instability and such without "doing anything" doesn't work for me. I have only sold one copy of XP and I cringed while doing it  
The Maximum Effective Range of an Excuse is Zero point Zero Meters!
Old 03-04-2002, 09:48 PM
jinx

Well, I also think WinME was pretty much a waste of time and offers no real computing experience or advantage. Also think it will be an orphan OS. Not many copies were actually sold over the counter and most out there were shipped as such, which is what I have. I have not seen a single advantage over 98 in the year I've had it.
Thought about upgrading to XP but too many complaints/problems  keep surfacing on it and decided to wait awhile longer.
Still a lot of non-available drivers for various devices. But I sure would like to see MS have some competition. Real competition.
Old 03-04-2002, 10:58 PM
Administrator

Send a message via ICQ to Uranium-235 Send a message via AIM to Uranium-235

I tried 2k. and had problems. so screw it. 98 has been the most stable OS for me yet
Old 03-05-2002, 12:24 AM
Simo

Well I for one love XP  :P

Ive had it installed since the day after it was released and have had no problems at all....ah well.

Then again im using XP Pro.....maby the Home edition is crap....I dunno....all I know is that Ive always loved 2K, and XP (IMHO) is just a pretty 2K with some extra features.

Old 03-05-2002, 04:48 AM
Chef

Not exactly 2K.
XP is wasn't built on 'NT technology' and it's more like 98 with some extra creapy features (and huge secutiry holes
Win2000 is still the best from micro, cause NT OS was always better then Win OS.
They called it XP, cause they were out of names after ME and still had to flood market with sth ':[+]

Xp has nothn to do with W2K

Cheers
Chef
Old 03-05-2002, 07:04 PM
Administrator

Send a message via ICQ to Keefe Send a message via AIM to Keefe Send a message via MSN to Keefe Send a message via Yahoo to Keefe

Actually, Windows XP was built off of the winnt kernal, so therefore it has a lot to do with it.  Basically, windows xp is a glorified win 2k with a whole lots of changes.
Old 03-05-2002, 07:22 PM
Chef

Whatever  :
Just sounds odd to built sth on NT kernel, but not NT family OS. But what can u d0

sleepy ;|

Cheers