Techware Labs Header

Forums have moved

See this announcement for more details, or just go directly there.

Old 05-10-2002, 07:38 PM
Grinnin Reaper

Default Are you tired of dust

We all know dust is bad for out computers.  It builds up on everything.  It cuts down on the heat transfer to the circulating air and when you get dustbunnies in you slots that can't be good.  So I did something about it this week.  I had bored out all the holes in the front of my case so my fan could breath better and draw more air a while back.  This time I took the dremel and cut off half of the front plastic part of the case.  I added a couple of magnets to hold back in place and some screws I could turn in or out to make it set right.  Then I got a foam element out of a wet dry vac (just cause it had a real fine foam in it).  Cut it up into two pieces and put them in the now removable half of the front of my case.  Added some oil from a wet based car air filter (the oil is sticky and helps grab more of the dust as it passes by). Slapped it together and look allright but more importantly if work real well.  My intake fan sucks all of it's air through the filters and keeps a lot of the crap out of my case.  And the foam also cuts down on the noise of the front fan.  It's almost half as noisy as it was.  Done it for about $10 American which I think makes the mod even better.
Old 05-11-2002, 06:30 AM
aoC_PRoZaK

Default Re: Are you tired of dust

i bought a can of high pressure air spray and cleaned my HSF. since the alphas ( i own a pal6035 ) have very tight fins they get hella dusty. -> three times PFFFFFFFFFFT and my CPU runs about 10°C cooler now ;D no joke, there was a fistful of dust in it
Old 05-11-2002, 06:38 PM
Super Moderator

Send a message via ICQ to vee_ess Send a message via AIM to vee_ess Send a message via MSN to vee_ess Send a message via Yahoo to vee_ess

increasing the longevity of you cpu for about 5 -10 dollars is definately worth it. i wanna get a summer job so i can afford to seal my comp and use water cooling. that reminds me, i gotta clean my system as it is really dirty lately. my processor temps have gone to about 110 degrees where they used to be at about 90 degrees so i can easily belive you -=aoC|PRoZaK=-
Old 05-13-2002, 06:11 AM
aoC_PRoZaK

ya dust is our enemy, but how do ya wanna seal ya rig? do you want to use an external radiator? i have a funny idea for you: there are cooling boxes that work with peltier elements. such a box can do about 40 watts of cooling. use such a box as water reservoir and if ya want, add a radiaror or not. this may help ya keep the temps down and if ya don't use a radiator, the only fan (if there even is one) is in the cooling box. ;D
Old 05-21-2002, 11:14 AM
KeyserSose

Not bad, I have seen people use filters, but you have bumped it to a new level.  I do have different feelings on it as well, I guess the first thing is your opening yourself to one more thing you have to manage, whether your filter gets to the point where it prevents enough air to enter your case, now you shouldnt be worried about dust you should be worrying about your case overheating.  I have been building PC's since Mac SE was the shiznit. And I have found that by just creating an air circulation system with about $12 in fans, you can prevent dust and add to your systems cooling arrangement. Also follow some general fixes, keep it off the ground, make use of the fan direction arrows, dont compromise heat and cleanliness.  And hit your desk up with some anti-static spray around the base of your case.
Old 06-11-2002, 08:50 PM
SBC

My case fan is clicking and I think it is dust.
Could too much dust in the case fan cause it to make a clicking sound?

Old 06-12-2002, 06:33 AM
Grinnin Reaper

It could but if it did it sound like it's in the bearing? and the bearing is going bad.  At least that's what I'ld think if it was a car or piece of machinery.
Old 06-12-2002, 03:34 PM
rivergod

[quote author=SBC link=board=Modding&num=1021077503&start=0#5 date=06/11/02 at 20:50:15]
My case fan is clicking and I think it is dust.
Could too much dust in the case fan cause it to make a clicking sound?
[/quote]
Dust might cause a clicking, but i'm with Savage, sounds like a bearing from here.
Old 06-12-2002, 10:29 PM
SBC

I bought the computer about one year ago. How could it be going bad already?
Also I think it is dust because everytime I clean the case fan the clicking sound goes away. I have to clean it once every month though. If it is dust, is there anything I can do so I don't need to clean it so often?
Old 06-12-2002, 10:30 PM
SBC

I bought the computer about one year ago. How could it be going bad already, do I need to buy a whole new fan or can I fix it?
Also I think it is dust because everytime I clean the case fan the clicking sound goes away. I have to clean it once every month though. If it is dust, is there anything I can do so I don't need to clean it so often?