Techware Labs Header

Forums have moved

See this announcement for more details, or just go directly there.

Go Back   Techwarelabs Community > Tech > Networking

Old 04-18-2007, 05:39 PM
Junior Techie

Default Local Area Connection enable problem

Hi there..

I'm having a serius problem with my network since my anti-virus found that ndis.sys in system32/drivers/ was infected...

I deleted the infected file from the windows repair using the Windows Xp cd and replaced it with a new one.
It worked but i still have a problem..
The local area connection is disabled and i can't enable it. When i click on "enable" it says "Enabling.." for a 2-3 seconds and then it says "Connection Failed!"

Any1 with a solution out there?
Thanx
Old 04-20-2007, 04:12 PM
Administrator

Send a message via ICQ to Uranium-235 Send a message via AIM to Uranium-235

Reinstall the drivers? (for the network device, preferably from the manufacturer)
Old 04-27-2007, 11:46 AM
Super Moderator

Send a message via ICQ to vee_ess Send a message via AIM to vee_ess Send a message via MSN to vee_ess Send a message via Yahoo to vee_ess

For future reference, when you have to get rid of malware, i would highly suggest moving the file to a contained folder (where the malware using it can't access it) instead of deleting it altogether. In this case, it probably wasn't necessary, but still useful suggestion for future needs.

After Googling ndis.sys, the file turns out to be a wrapper driver, so it's basically just translating your driver to your OS (wrapper drivers/driver wrappers are needed when the driver used is not meant for the OS being used in). So, as U-235 suggested, reinstalling should fix the problem. Completely uninstall the device, and then let Windows find it on reboot. Install using generic or manufacturer drivers, if possible.