Techware Labs Header

Forums have moved

See this announcement for more details, or just go directly there.

Old 10-11-2002, 05:48 PM
waxhell

Default Silent PC

Notable News:

HardCoreWare has up an article detailing their exploits in building a completely silent computer (well, there are 2 fans in the computer, but they're thermal sensing Thermaltake fans in the PSU.

Read it here.
Old 10-11-2002, 11:37 PM
eviltechie

its really scary using a zalman...

i wouldnt use it
i think i can tolerate a bit of noise as long as it doesnt drive me crazy

oh wait...

i AM already cRaZy

MUAHAHAHAH!
Old 10-12-2002, 02:15 AM
Super Moderator

Send a message via ICQ to vee_ess Send a message via AIM to vee_ess Send a message via MSN to vee_ess Send a message via Yahoo to vee_ess

That's pretty awesome. I have to say, I am not displeased with my current setup, most likely because there is no case fan so I only have 1 more than they have on. The hard drive isn't making much noise at all, surprisingly, except when accessing, but I like to know when it is active. I think I am going to look into taking out all of the fans in my system, even though I usually shudder at the thought of passive cooling.

I was surprised at some times in this article. I thought they would mention something about using rubber or paper washers for the hard drive to significantly lower noise. I was also hoping that they would create a custom solution somewhere in there. But that is just me. I like making things myself.
Old 10-12-2002, 11:07 AM
eviltechie

yeah or that hard drive cage from Akasa or even add some sound absorber on the sides for that fan...
Old 10-12-2002, 11:17 AM
waxhell

Coruse, my case is the complete opposite of the article. I've been running a black label Delta fan and 2x 120mm Sunons (as a card cooler) for quite some time now. Course, I got saved because of those 120mm Sunons when my black label Delta just stopped spinning one morning (I heard it spin down, and I was like oh crap). After just unplugging the Delta and re-plugging it in, it was fine (but my cpu was fanless for like 5-10 minutes, it was a wonder that there was no damage to my athlon).
Old 10-12-2002, 12:37 PM
Super Moderator

Send a message via ICQ to vee_ess Send a message via AIM to vee_ess Send a message via MSN to vee_ess Send a message via Yahoo to vee_ess

How loud is your system? I've noticed that many people have upwards of 7 and 8 fans. I don't really see why some people do it - for example, a friend with a relatively slow system has twice as many as I do.

About your AMD not getting damaged, I am not surprised because I have run mine without a fan before (that leaves only the PSU fan which doesn't affect the rest of the case in my setup, and also the piddly Northbridge fan) and absolutely nothing happened differently. My temperatures were not to bad either, stay below 40* C in idle and never going beyond 50* C.
Old 10-12-2002, 02:24 PM
waxhell

Hehe, my case is quite loud, I do have like 8-9 fans in my comptuer. I mainly do it to extend the life of my computer, and besides, the only time it's irirtating is when you're trying to go to sleep, else, your music or games just drown out the noise of the fans (esp when you got a nice set of Logitech Z560's next to your computer). Course, after time, the sound of your comuter gbecomes soothing and helps you go to sleep =P.
Old 10-12-2002, 02:31 PM
eviltechie

yes, and my delta helps me to get a step closer to be eligible to go into a coo-coo house

1 more decibal and i might just crack
Old 10-13-2002, 11:05 AM
Super Moderator

LOL. I don't really have to worry about how loud my machine is because it's not in anyone's room. I still want to make it noiseless, to the point where it is even quieter than that demonstration system. I can run the CPU without a fan, thanks to Abit's three pin power design for powering the processor cooler and more efficiently. I am not going to though, but I am considering one of those passive heatsinks.

+ = -> > -> -> ->
Old 10-13-2002, 12:08 PM
eviltechie

lol nice smilies

my comp is really loud

well if you really want a CPU without a fan and has a full life time
check out the Via C3
its slow...
last time i checked, it was topped at 1GHz but im sure its faster now

it can run without a fan
so, for peace loving folks, check out www.via.com.tw