Techware Labs Header

Forums have moved

See this announcement for more details, or just go directly there.

Old 10-14-2001, 04:34 PM
SinnopS

Default Re: Windows XP

well, i have XP (thank you msdn ) and i love it. i dont think i will be going back to win2k. been using it for several weeks now and it is so good. very sweet and slick
Old 10-16-2001, 02:13 PM
ChimChim

I've upgraded to XP, and everything seems to be working out.  I didn't have any problems with my video or sound, but i had to reinstall a few programs.  For instance, my G-Force 2 works fine, but i had to reinstall Adaptec(Burning Utility).  I think that the user inteface is pretty cool and i haven't had any problems with crashes or things like that.  I tried to crash my computer on purpose just out of curiousity, and all that happened was that i got an error in the last program that i ran, i clicked close, and XP kept running fine.  But you'll have to try it for yourself to know what i mean.
Old 10-16-2001, 04:50 PM
Golden Techie

Send a message via Yahoo to wizbones

All you XP users, can anyone tell me how the networking portion is? I had someone call today asking questions and I have no experience with it yet.

Is it pretty straight forward like Win2k or do you have to use wizards? Say you want to just change you IP address? Could you give me a walk through?

Thanks
The Maximum Effective Range of an Excuse is Zero point Zero Meters!
Old 10-16-2001, 05:11 PM
Administrator

Send a message via ICQ to Keefe Send a message via AIM to Keefe Send a message via MSN to Keefe Send a message via Yahoo to Keefe

I have not used it yet, but I did find some screenshots of the DUN portion of it.  Hope this helps a little.

http://www.home-skooled.com/xpdusetup.htm
Old 10-20-2001, 09:25 PM
techman

Wow...it does look like fisher price!

Can you turn off the ugly colors?
Old 10-21-2001, 08:30 AM
Simo

yeah you can make it revert to "Windows Classic" mode.
Which is basically a Win2K skin from what I hear.
Old 10-21-2001, 08:04 PM
techman

I am glad that you can turn that off!
Old 10-27-2001, 01:16 AM
awesomedell

I got a mailer from Dell that says I can upgrade to XP for like $79 or $89 from ME that came on my Dimension 8100 purchased earlier this yr.  I signed up for a download of the Beta Ver 2, but with my available modem connection never could get into their server before the deadline to download it.  Haven't decided yet whether I'll fork out the $$ for the upgrade or not, but will have to make up my mind soon, as I believe the offer expires in 2 wks.  If anyone has any comments on the final release version pls post.  I was somewhat disappointed with ME, I think 98SE worked much better, at least I didn't have any problems locating drivers or running game apps on it.  But like the earlier poster said I like to be current & up to date on what's out there.  
Old 11-12-2001, 02:14 AM
Administrator

Send a message via ICQ to Omega Send a message via AIM to Omega Send a message via MSN to Omega Send a message via Yahoo to Omega
Default My Windows XP Experience

I made the switch to Windows XP Professional from Windows 2000 Professional on my main system for testing purposes.  I loved nearly all aspects of XP except for a few minor things, including the lack of ability to actually customize the Luna GUI (only pick from three pre-set combinations for the main colors), and most importantly, the crappy support for my Voodoo 5 5500 AGP.  I know for most that isn't really an issue, but until I can get a new card I'm stuck with this, and it still works great in Win2k.

I would definately recommend upgrading to Windows XP from Windows 98 or ME.  Upgrading from Windows 2000 is debatable, IMO, though.  As for now, I've reverted back to Windows 2000 SP2, which is, and has, been working great for me.
Old 11-19-2001, 01:35 PM
Administrator

Send a message via ICQ to Uranium-235 Send a message via AIM to Uranium-235

I would never get an operation system unless thiers at lease one service pack for it.

I'm not sure if thie one out for XP yet.