Techware Labs Header

Forums have moved

See this announcement for more details, or just go directly there.

Old 05-20-2002, 09:27 AM
Administrator

Send a message via ICQ to Omega Send a message via AIM to Omega Send a message via MSN to Omega Send a message via Yahoo to Omega
Default Next Microsoft Server OS

At one point I had Microsoft's OS cycles figured out fairly well, but that was a bit ago. Does anyone know what Microsoft's plans are for the next server OS release? Are they going to work on a modified Windows 2000 Server, or go back to a more specialized, NT system, or try to do something with Windows XP, or try something completely different? Is it supposed to come out next year, or in two years?

Thanks.
Old 05-24-2002, 06:07 PM
Chef

Default Re: Next Microsoft Server OS

Why to reinvent the wheel all the time. Stick with the old good stuff.

"Xenix 2002 XP built on somebody's better technology" sounds great. Standard flying jail windows logo, it must work ...

Seriously, even dude with wild imagination like me, can't think of anything micro haven't tried yet

Sleepy Chef

Old 05-27-2002, 11:57 PM
Super Moderator

Send a message via ICQ to vee_ess Send a message via AIM to vee_ess Send a message via MSN to vee_ess Send a message via Yahoo to vee_ess

i am not sayin microsoft is that great or anything, but quit doggin on them all the time when we tryin to hold serious conversations.
Old 05-28-2002, 04:28 PM
Chef

One PM is on the way for mr. serious
Old 05-30-2002, 01:48 AM

better hope that that PM isnt to offensive now, Chef, wouldnt want to get in trouble with a Global Moderator.  Or Administrators for that case.  But chef wouldnt do that, now would he.
Old 05-30-2002, 10:20 AM
Chef

that's just not your damn business  

have fun
Old 05-30-2002, 02:38 PM

Well if Vee_Ess does take it offensively, i feel that it is all of our buisness here at NetSmog.  I dont think that it is right for fellow NetSmog members to be putting down there own members.  All im saying is to be cool about it.....i know you are capable of doing so!

Old 06-02-2002, 06:01 AM
TheRogue

/me is tryin to work out why this is turnin into a flame  ???

btw, apparantly the next M$ OS won't be called windows, cant remember where i saw it (may of been /. ??? ) but i haven't seen anything official
Old 06-11-2002, 10:06 PM
Super Moderator

Send a message via ICQ to vee_ess Send a message via AIM to vee_ess Send a message via MSN to vee_ess Send a message via Yahoo to vee_ess

The next MS server OS will be Windows .NET Server. It is basically just Windows XP Server because it is based off the same platform, SDK Platform. I know for a fact that it is in the pipeline, and is now in their MSDN (MS Developer Network) phase, but I am not sure when it will be released. An educated guess would be around 6 months to a year, as that is usually how long it takes to get past the MSDN phase.

Sorry for the late response...I was tryin and still am to get to a site on msdn.microsoft.com that had all their beta's available, but I can't find it. If anyone knows, please post.
Old 06-12-2002, 02:25 PM
Chef

This doesn't make any sense. Windows XP has fewer network (and basically other) features then Win2000, so it would be downgrade to make server based on XP platform (which uses simplified NT kernel) instead of original W2K.
W2K had promising start but still not very popular in networking environment, it doesn't have all the reasons to upgrade from NT4/6sp so few businesses go for it (and that was the goal of W2K development). Just needs time, ~2yrs

Cheerio